Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I was here a few months ago asking a million questions about puppies and breeders. We then decided our kids weren't ready for the puppy stage and we'd either keep our eyes open for an older puppy or wait until the kids are older. I sent out a few feeler emails to some breeders, letting them know we would be interested in any older pups that they became aware of.

Yesterday I get an email from a breeder we had considered who's got a former pup looking for a new home. Seems the family has bought a new business and doesn't think it's fair to the dog, who will be home alone for long hours.

Anyway, Chanel is a two year old female black standard, who is up to date on vaccines and is spayed. She comes from a family with young kids, so she's used to being around children.

The breeder thinks the current owners will want $1,000 for her. Do you think that's reasonable? What sorts of things should I be asking them? Help!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Hi all! I was here a few months ago asking a million questions about puppies and breeders. We then decided our kids weren't ready for the puppy stage and we'd either keep our eyes open for an older puppy or wait until the kids are older. I sent out a few feeler emails to some breeders, letting them know we would be interested in any older pups that they became aware of.

Yesterday I get an email from a breeder we had considered who's got a former pup looking for a new home. Seems the family has bought a new business and doesn't think it's fair to the dog, who will be home alone for long hours.

Anyway, Chanel is a two year old female black standard, who is up to date on vaccines and is spayed. She comes from a family with young kids, so she's used to being around children.

The breeder thinks the current owners will want $1,000 for her. Do you think that's reasonable? What sorts of things should I be asking them? Help!
I think that is asking too much for a 2 year old. Nevar just posted about a white standard registered for free in canada. 5 years old, and I'm sure fully trained!~~

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I also think 1000 is too much for a dog that they don't seem to have time for anymore. I understand changing a fee to recoup what you have put into a dog but if you can't care for it properly and need to find it a home then you really should understand that you aren't going to get what you paid for the dog.

I hope you find the pet you are looking for! If this dog happens to be it then only you can judge if that price is too high or not. If this is the dog for you and the money isn't a problem then I don't think you should let it stop you. Anytime you are adopting an older dog make sure to ask lots of questions. Usually there is a reason sometimes other than just being "too busy" that they are rehoming their pet. It never hurts to have lots of questions prepared for the owners.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ouch . . . a cool grand huh . . .

Hi there!
Good for you to consider an older dog . . . but here in Houston, TX you can do a lot more w/that 1000 smackers:

Poodle Rescue of Houston

Call and talk to Guinette Peebles, she's good people and will steer you the right way. She's a member (I think a board member) of the local poodle club here in the Houston area.

For 1K, you could rent a car, have a wonderful tour of the midwest down to Texas, pickup your pup, stay a while and head back . . .

Shesh . . . a grand for a take-back? Does this breeder belong to any of the local CKC/AKC poodle/breed clubs where you live? It does seem a bit . . . hmm stiff . . .

Good Luck!

Mark, Jamie and The Poodle Gangsters!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
has she gone threw obeidence training at least?
whats been done with her if she hasn't had some sort of obedience training?

I think $1000 is a steep price, and if thats what the person paid 2 years ago...not that the dog isn't worth that o.o I'm just saying they shouldn't be refunded for not wanting something they bought in the first place ((no matter what the reason for them re-homing her))

·
Registered
68 Posts
Another suggestion . ..

You might try asking for the current owners phone number and state that you'd be willing to give a donation for that amount to one of your rescue organizations. Make the same offer to the breeder if she currently possesses the dog. I'm curious on how that would be received . . . .:fish:

·
Registered
23 Posts
abit steep

Think that is abit steep for a 2 yr. old. It would be one thing if it was a puppy. Not to mention what kind of back ground does it have? You know like show, breeding ect. Will you have full rein to the papers. (will you beable to breed her if you chose to) Or is she just a pet. Just because she is a full blooded poodle doesn't mean you have to pay that much. Most cases if they are just a pet you do not have full rein to the papers which means you wouldn't beable to breed her. Alot of breeders will sale a pet for less than the asking fee for a show or breeding.
Good luck in your search....:)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
$1000 does seem steep, but then it's all about what's right for you. If this dog would perfectly fit into your family and situation then perhaps that's the right price!

I would probably pursue the dog (if it sounds like a good fit) and then discuss the price with the owner. If they saw that the dog was going to a good home then they might be willing to reconsider. If that doesn't work out then pursuing a rescue is also a good option. Good luck with your hunt!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To answer some of the questions, she is a pet and they paid $1,700 for her when they bought her (according to the breeder).She has basic obedience training and has been spayed and is up to date on vaccinations. The money would be paid to the owners, not the breeder, and we would retain the registered papers. It's the breeder telling me the price, not the owner, thought, so I don't know if the owner's on board with that price. I just got the owner's phone number from the breeder today, so I'm going to get in touch with them and find out some more information.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I got my 2 year old rescue for free :) the owners were only concerned about finding him a good home. I would have gladly paid a rehoming fee, I would not have paid $1000! While I would pay just about anything for Mitch now, I don't think the owners "deserve" (for lack of a better word) the $1000. They failed to make a committment to the dog and I feel like $1000 is giving them a reward for taking their dog. It makes no sense.

May I ask who the breeder is?

·
Registered
781 Posts
i, too, agree with everyone. $1,000....for what??? if the dog had been fostered there is usually a fee to try to make up for some of the expense incurred while keeping this dog safe from a kill shelter - but i've never even seen a rescue ask for $1,000. i can't tell you how sick this makes me. if i, for some outrageous reason, could not keep my dog, i would be humbled by just finding a good home for my precious pet - i WOULD NOT be looking to recoup my "losses".....are they kidding me??? call the owner - get the breeder out of the loop...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. I'm in conversation with the owner now. What do you think is a reasonable rehoming fee?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. I'm in conversation with the owner now. What do you think is a reasonable rehoming fee?
I would NOT pay over $500. I got Suri at 18 months for half of what they are asking and the breeder was really torn - she even drove and met me half way....several hours. Her goal was to place her in a good home. Suri was also a show dog which the breeder had $$ invested and still charged WAY LESS - she was also obedience trained. Her goal was not money. IMO - theirs is for that price.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I would say not more than a couple of hundred dollars. That's how much most rescues would ask for an older dog. It's outrageous that they need to find a good home 'urgently' yet expect to make a few bucks on the family member they are abandoning. I hope they don't get rewarded for their lack of compassion.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think the owner is being responsible by asking a fairly high rehoming fee. They obviously don't want someone coming along and looking for a bargain, and not taking dog ownership seriously.
I think $1000 is a bit steep, but you also need to look at the fact that you'll not have to pay to have her spayed, or have her puppy shots. She may have some obedience training behind her.
Ask if you can have her stay with you a few days, and if she fits with your family then you decide what she's worth to you. I'm sure a responsible owner would be open to offers if they felt the new home was good for their dog.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Rehoming Fee . . .

She's been with the same owner (a family with two young kids) since she was 8 weeks old. They got her from the breeder.
I'm assuming that these are in Canadian Dollars? I'm not sure what the conversion rate is, but I'd try calling the rescue place that I suggested earlier and find out what the customary re-homing fee is. Remember, poodle rescue is a charity - their only goal is to get the dog a good home and try to recoup some of the expenses.
I would suggest that you arrange with the current owners a gift to their favorite charity (preferably animal) for an amount that doesn't exceed the customary re-homing fee for your area. Call rescue organizations to verify these fees. I'm not sure if you can 'write it off' in Canada, but it would be a charitable donation. You could have the charity write the receipt out in their name. I believe that to be a fair solution.:eek:hwell:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts