Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oh boy. Peggy just had a ton of milky discharge come out when she peed, which I understand can be the first sign of pyometra. Since she just finished her first heat less than a month ago, the vet is treating this as an emergency and we'll be headed over there shortly.

We've been enjoying our very mellow girl, but now I'm wondering if she's been lethargic because there was an infection brewing...

Our vet was strongly opposed to allowing one heat cycle before spay, but I stand by our decision. Just hope the team is very gentle and patient with her. Peggy got very stiff like she might bite when I tried investigating her backend. So my husband held her collar and fed her chicken, which calmed her right down while I cleaned her up.

We'll be handing her off to a vet tech in the parking lot because of coronavirus worries and communicating with the vet by phone. Far from ideal. :(

Please beam some positive energy up into the sky for us.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Oh, poor Peggy! And poor mom and dad :(

It sucks having to hand your baby off in the parking lot to the vets, but thankfully they are still able to care for them despite this time of isolation.

But you’re aware of this risk and watchful of Peggy and took quick action. I hope it turns out to be nothing major.
Sending positive vibes and love to you all.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
I’m so glad she’s seeing the vet as this could be serious. ((((Hugs))))

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
Thoughts and prayers to you, family, and Peggy.

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
I am so glad you got her in immediately. My neighbours' Newfie had a very, very serious pyo a few years ago - one of the worst the vets had ever seen - but recovered well after antibiotics and op, although she was 9 at the time, which is elderly for a giant dog. Peggy is young and fit, if there is a discharge it is open rather than closed, and you acted immediately - all the things needed for a good outcome even if it does prove to be pyometra. Won't stop you worrying, I know. Thinking of you - keep us posted.

Reactions: Vita

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You all made me smile during those stressful hours. Thank you.

Peggy's home and doing fine. The vet felt no swelling and believes, in the absence of even an elevated temperature, there's no immediate cause for concern. But, as expected, she encouraged us to spay her before her next heat.

Peggy made quite a fool of herself, almost jumping excitedly out the car window and into the arms of the vet tech. Our vet laughed at the idea she might be lethargic, as apparently she was thrilled to be in new company and carried on excitedly throughout the whole visit.

My worries about the strangeness of the coronavirus protocols causing additional stress were unwarranted. The team is running the clinic beautifully and Peggy would have happily stayed for the weekend if they let her. (Oddly enough, they didn't seem to want her. 😂)

We'll be monitoring closely for true lethargy, which, in combination with continued discharge, would warrant a prompt return.

I'm relieved but also annoyed. Peggy grew out of her puppy discharge months ago, and we were so happy to be rid of it. To have it suddenly return like this, and so aggressively, has me scratching my head. I wonder if it's contact allergies, as everything's back in bloom.

Here's Peggy, oblivious to my worry:

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
Big sigh of relief here - I will take puppy vaginitis over pyometra any day! I love the image of her bouncing joyously into the vet tech's arms.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I just saw this and am relieved to hear that Peggy is fine. I'm usually pretty well calm but these past few weeks have me getting more paranoid. losing Kai our boxer, Renn learns to open the sock drawer, I think I mentioned that, so we keep the door to that room closed when he is free. Fortunately he chewed one instead of gulping it down and managed only to chew a piece of heel out. That fortunately passed thru yesterday. Then we had the bite. He is recovered. But I kept him sat my side over 24 hours, lol These pups certainly keep us on our t res at times. Hopefully all goes well with Peggy and once she is spayed this can all go into the memory box.

·
Premium Member
23,228 Posts
I am happy to see things are good.

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m so happy that Ms. Peggy is ok! I checked back here first thing in the morning for an update.
I’ve never heard of puppy discharge but it sounds as though it’s something that wasn’t harmful for her?
Thanks for checking in. :)

Puppy vaginitis is fairly common, though I'd never heard of it until we fostered a GSD last summer and she had it. And then, lo and behold, puppy Peggy did, too. So now I know more about it than I really care to. 😂

Recommended treatment is to let them go through a heat cycle, allowing the vulva to fully mature, but Peggy's vaginitis resolved months before her first heat. So this sudden rush of discharge was very worrying.

She seems totally fine today, but I'm extremely watchful for anything amiss. From what I've read, if her cervix closes post-heat and there is in fact a uterine infection, it can get serious very quickly. She'll be getting LOTS of probing belly rubs in the coming days.

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just saw this and am relieved to hear that Peggy is fine. I'm usually pretty well calm but these past few weeks have me getting more paranoid. losing Kai our boxer, Renn learns to open the sock drawer, I think I mentioned that, so we keep the door to that room closed when he is free. Fortunately he chewed one instead of gulping it down and managed only to chew a piece of heel out. That fortunately passed thru yesterday. Then we had the bite. He is recovered. But I kept him sat my side over 24 hours, lol These pups certainly keep us on our t res at times. Hopefully all goes well with Peggy and once she is spayed this can all go into the memory box.
They really do keep us on our toes!! And I think some might be a little thrown off by these new coronavirus routines. One friend's fully mature dog, bored without his usually rigorous nose work schedule, has suddenly started chewing everything in sight.

So happy to hear Renn has fully recovered. Allergic reactions are scary. You were right to be watchful.

Picturing him opening a sock drawer has me laughing, but I know that can be stressful, too. We're going to have to put a toddler's safety device on our garbage soon. It's in a cabinet, but I've caught Peggy working it with her nose in recent days. I suspect she's already figured out how to open the door and is just biding her time.

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Big sigh of relief here - I will take puppy vaginitis over pyometra any day! I love the image of her bouncing joyously into the vet tech's arms.
Yes, that is something I rarely read! What a well socialized happy girl. :)
I'm impressed she wasn't the least bit concerned that a stranger walked up to her car and took her from her humans. But I was appalled by her bouncy lack of manners. My goodness! You'd think she'd had no obedience training at all.

Even as she was saying Peggy did great during the exam, the tech actually looked quite relieved to hand her back to us. 😂 When I jokingly said, "Want an adolescent poodle? I've got one you can have for cheap!" she simply said "NOPE" and disappeared back into the clinic.

Clearly Peggy needs to spend more time in the company of strangers, and actually—as I'm typing this—it's suddenly occurred to me this is actually a perfect time for her to learn strangers are quite boring! Because none can come up to say hi to her. I should be doing her daily walks downtown rather than on our deserted block.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts