Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poppy and Sophy have had squidgy tums for over two weeks. We were at my sister's for the first week - rice and chicken helped a bit but didn't sort it. When we got back I took them to the vet, who ruled out anything sinister and gave me metronidazole (more as an anti-inflammatory than antibiotic, he said), a combination paste to help bung them up, and expensive prescription dog food. After 24 hours they were much better, but as soon as I stopped the paste a few days ago the diarrhoea started again - not extreme, but Poppy in particular has been up in the night and depositing small blobs at frequent intervals.

I suspect giardia, which the vet said was a possibility. The metronidazole would help a bit, but I know it is not as effective as Panacur (Fenbendazole). I can get Panacur in the right size sachets online for a few pounds, rather than making another vet appointment. I don't usually mind paying for the vet, but the last trip was very expensive, and I am pretty sure he will simply prescribe Panacur if I go again! I have read up on the treatment schedule for giardia, and from what I can find it is an extremely safe medication, so is very unlikely to do any harm. Tests are expensive and not wholly reliable, Panacur is cheap - is there any downside to trying it? I know many of you have dealt with this particular bug in the past.

·
Premium Member
22,869 Posts
None of our dogs have had giardiasis, but I am a little surprised that Sophy and Poppy have it only now as adults. Puppies tend to be more susceptible to it than adults. Panacur is certainly safe and if you can get it OTC you could go ahead and treat them. The fecal exam for Giardia is different than that for other parasites, so unless your vet did that other test it could be there undetected. Where do you think they might have acquired it?

Reactions: fjm

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
When I brought Babykins home, she tested positive for Giardiasis at her first vet visit a few days later. I saw her eat poop on one of the potty breaks we took driving her home. I’m assuming she probably ate poop previously too. My previous 2 dogs never did so I was not expecting it and didn’t pull her away quickly. Thankfully she never shows any interest in eating it now, just a quick sniff.

Her dx was complicated because we didn’t realize some or all of the diarrhea and vomiting was due to the Fromm food I was feeding her. Great food, just not for my dog. So she had one course of Metronidazole followed by 2 courses of Panacur. Vet told me Panacur was very safe and given to puppies. I would go ahead with one treatment.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have had an unusually hot summer, and it has been hard to stop them drinking from water sources out and about - they could have picked it up that way. It may not be that, of course, but a 3-day course of Panacur seems an easier way of ruling it out than going through a battery of tests. Meanwhile they are back on chicken and rice and the 6x paste. It certainly doesn't seem to have affected their appetites!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
My Iris had giardia for 3 months when I got her as a pup. The vets only gave her metronidazole and it never fixed the issue. Said nothing else worked on giardia!

Poor wee pup! I finally got fed up and changed vets. When I told him about the issue his eyes rolled so far back in his head I thought they would stick there. He gave Iris panacur for 3 days and we were done, finally! I keep a bottle of the Safeguard Goat wormer, panacur, in my cupboard just in case......I get it at the local farm and ranch store. It's cheap and safe.

I hope this gets your kiddos straightened out soon. I know your frustration.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I would do it. Panacur is a very safe anthelmintic that is also used as a general dewormer, so I see no harm in a course of it!

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all - I will order it today. One problem with the metronidazole is that Sophy really likes the taste - she stole the packet of tablets off the table (fortunately it is a blister pack and defeated her), and has nicked at least one dose that Poppy spat out. It took me off guard, as it has a reputation for tasting unpleasant! I am being more careful now, but the course of treatment got a bit disrupted in the middle... I wonder if all the months of watching Pippin get his medicine on scrummy biscuits has convinced her that all medicines are treats?!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts