Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loki is a SWIMMER!! He loves every moment of it. I am thrilled! Does it all on his own for fun, but mostly loves to fetch toys we toss in the pool or pond for him. Loves to chase fish and frog hunt
I have been having some thoughts on training him to dock dive? I think he would do excellent and I have no idea how to get started!
Also, are those competitions you see of dock diving challenging to get into or are there some open to the public?
hope someone here knows!!!

here’s just a picture I have of him relaxing on the pool stairs. I have no photos of him swimming because I’m always in the water with him while he works up his muscles and endurance. Or I’m throwing in a toy for him to fetch! I’m always paying close attention when my babies are playing in water lol

5AFCAC2D-4A4D-42E4-AB3C-9268A72996B0.jpeg

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I have a friend who loves it! Check out the NADD website; I haven't been through it personally, so I can't speak to the process. I will say not all swimmers take to jumping off the end of a dock.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I don't do dock diving with mine, but a number of my friends are very much into it and compete frequently. Someone posted the NADD site for you above. There are other organizations such as Dock Dogs, Splash Dogs, etc. but most of my friends are competing through NADD. Sometimes dock diving events will have a "try it with your dog" kind of thing, I believe NADD has that at most of their "splashes". So you can go and pay a fee and see if your dog might like it. But if it's an actual trial and you are competing for titles, you have to enter beforehand just like any other trial and your dog usually needs to be registered with the organization, whether it be NADD or one of the other dock venues. The dog needs to run down the dock and jump off into the pool. The jump will be judged according to where it lands based on the distance markings on the side of the pool. Most times you can have a release assistant on the dock with you or just you can handle your dog by yourself, depends on the dog and how you have trained to run down the dock. The dock is usually covered with turf or other anti-slip material and is 2 feet above the water. The current top 5 rated Standards have jumps between 19 and 21 feet...Don't know where you are located, but I would start with some of your local training facilities and ask them if they know where you could go to get started in dock diving. There are not as many facilities offering it as other sports like agility, obedience, etc. due to the space needed, cost of maintaining a pool, etc. so unless you luck out and happen to live close to one, you will likely need to do a bit of traveling to find a facility, as well as trials to attend, due to the same issues. There are no local dock diving facilities near me so most of my friends that do it travel out of state when they compete....But they (and their dogs) all love it!!

Reactions: SamieNorman and Liz

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow thank you!!!! Lots of incredible information thank you!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts