Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched this video on you tube by kikopup about using a positive interrupter to interrupt unwanted behaviour but what I do not understand is how the noise she makes is any different to the dog than training the word yes or the noise of the clicker to mean they have done good and are going to get a treat.

How does the dog know it is not simply another clicker type noise and think you are praising him for what he is doing? or is it simply because she wants eye contact in which case, you could just say "look" or "watch" instead?

Can anyone explain this to me?

If I am allowed to post the link let me know and I will :)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I think the main point of what she's getting at is simply the avoidance of negative reactions. So instead of screaming or shouting the dog's name when he does something wrong, you just distract him with a noise you would normally use to call the dog to you. I don't think it really is different from any other method of positive reinforcement training.

I don't think anyone would object to you posting the link, but I just googled "kikopup and positive interrupter" and it came up in the search results.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. I see.

Would the dog not then start offering negative behaviour as he got a treat for it, like hmm I got a treat for chewing cables, I'll try that again...

How do you use this to teach things they can't do like if they start chewing an inappropriate item? Do they eventually cotton on that they get interrupted each time?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Well, that's the thing. Positive or negative, if you're not around to make the noise, the dog is free to do whatever it wants. I think she's missed out the point that you have to take other measures when you're not with the dog, i.e., confining the dog to a crate or a smaller area of the house.

My opinion is that she seems like a really sweet young woman who is trying to make a name for herself by utilising YouTube to showcase her dog training skills. She presents this positive interrupter method like it's something she's invented.

And her methods may work great with some dogs. My theory is that all dogs have basic similarities and individual personalities. You have to find the right balance between those two factors. What works for one dog may not work at all for another (yeah, I'm looking at you, Teddy). :D

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's what I think too. I don't see what's wrong with teaching a good 'no' or 'leave it' and still treat your dogs well. Saying 'no' wont destroy them. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts