Poodle Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Best advice would be to meet or speak to breeders if you can - look for titles on the dog, meet dogs, see their program, see how they describe their dogs and if someone would be willing to match based on temperament not first come/first served, or colour and provide ongoing support. See what they do with their dogs.

Even as a spoo lover, I would prefer a PWD from an awesome breeder to a spoo from a poor breeder. My own dog's breeder I liked partially because she had children, meaning my dog was well exposed to kids prior to me bringing her home and if I had kids, I would have trusted the breeder to chose a dog that would be good with kids.

I am considering a few different very similar breeds
or a second poodle as a second dog - my decision will likely come down to which breeder I trust more.

Edit - oh, and if you are still worried, set yourself up for success by finding a good local trainer before you bring your puppy home, to help prevent any issues before they begin and support you through the sometimes challenging first year.
I have found a breeder but she doesn’t have children...

Also thanks for all the tips. I think that’s a good idea to line up some help in advance. I’ll definitely research someone out when I know I’m getting a puppy. I think it’s also down to finding the right breeder isn’t it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My brother has a 4 year old PWD and I’ve had Poodles all my life, have a mini currently. I would say the PWD is more stubborn and has an almost “crabbiness” to him.. we call him a grumpy old man! He’s very nice and is a well bred portie. I would say he was a difficult puppy as well, I remember my brother spending hours trying to wear out his energy. Also with a PWD, be prepared for them to want to jump into any body of water they see! Including water fountains!
The poodles seem to have more of an off switch, and were eager to learn as puppies (as well as when older). My poodle is not very vocal. They are up for anything too! My vote would be a poodle but I may be a little biased ;)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
In regard to coat maintenance, my poodle picks up seeds like velcro if I let his coat get long. But when our peak burr season hits I usually shave him down pretty short. Then the burrs do not stick in his coat and baths are only 10 minutes with basically no coat maintenance. Eventually I miss the coat and let it grow back in. It's a cycle lol. So really the coat is only as difficult as you want it to be. If you take it down every six weeks it's pretty wash n wear.
I agree! I keep my Spoo in a pretty short coat (#5, then #7 in the summer and fall when there are more stickers and burrs). We live near the woods and are out on the boonies at least 5 times a week. He is very easy to maintain.

I am so sorry to have to give this report. My sister got a Portuguese Water Dog from an excellent breeder. That dog was nasty. I have never known a dog I was afraid of. Nor had I ever been bitten before. That dog not only bit me, totally unprovoked, but also other people and even their own son when he crawled across the floor to change the TV channel. They had the dog on prozac. One time I was there the dog actually went out in their back yard and attacked bushes and shredded them.

She had called the breeder, and the breeder really wanted her to give the dog back, but my sister wouldn't give it up. I warned her that they should never leave the dog alone with their 10 year old son. She just said the dog loved their son and would never hurt him. That was before the TV incident. I refused to even visit her for the remaining 10 years she had it unless the dog was locked in a kennel either in their garage, or their outbuilding. I am literally surprised they were never sued.

I have a gentle mild mannered super intelligent Spoo that absolutely loves all people and other dogs. He is my Service Dog, and is amazing. He gets along with dogs that their owners say don't get along with most dogs. I vote Spoo! I have had many wonderful dogs of several breeds including German Shepherds, none of them aggressive. But if I ever get another dog it will again be a Spoo from an excellent breeder!

Oh yes, if hasn't been mentioned much but Spoos (actually poodles) are one of the two most intelligent dog breeds. Definitely a plus:)

I agree, before you get the dog find an awesome trainer, learn all you can, and start having your dog trained the very week you get them. Hoping you find an amazing and lovable one for sure !

21 - 23 of 23 Posts