Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which colour is most popular in the show ring right now?

Just curious... if two poodles are equivalent in soundness and structure, will one win over the other because of colour?

Which are the least favourite colours?

Salukie :)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I think black and white are equal together as the most popular.

I think next would be silver, then cream, apricot, brown/red.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
There are some judges who prefer one color over another. It is an individual thing. Overall, Blacks and White/Creams do the best in the ring because they are of the best over-all quality.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
There are some judges who prefer one color over another. It is an individual thing. Overall, Blacks and White/Creams do the best in the ring because they are of the best over-all quality.
There are probably more of the Blacks and whites/creams available. Recessive colors like apricots, reds and browns have less overall numbers then blacks and whites.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
There are probably more of the Blacks and whites/creams available. Recessive colors like apricots, reds and browns have less overall numbers then blacks and whites.
Interesting because I have been REALLY spending some time looking at this recently, just for informational only at this time and the whites (good ones) seem to be more scarce then the reds, browns, silvers. Maybe this is also why they are priced higher too.

Edit - ok it mentioned in the ring.... I would think there would be more quality breeders with white.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Interesting because I have been REALLY spending some time looking at this recently, just for informational only at this time and the whites (good ones) seem to be more scarce then the reds, browns, silvers. Maybe this is also why they are priced higher too.
There are loads of red breeders, but not many are producing quality puppies

There is a much higher number of white breeders who have a clue what they are doing, thus many more quality whites than reds. Same with blacks. They have a much bigger gene pool to pull from and the quality has been there for some time. There seem to be a lot more breeders in blacks and whites who are in it for the right reasons, and too many red and possibly brown breeders doing it because they are rarer and they can charge big bucks for them.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
There are loads of red breeders, but not many are producing quality puppies

There is a much higher number of white breeders who have a clue what they are doing, thus many more quality whites than reds. Same with blacks. They have a much bigger gene pool to pull from and the quality has been there for some time. There seem to be a lot more breeders in blacks and whites who are in it for the right reasons, and too many red and possibly brown breeders doing it because they are rarer and they can charge big bucks for them.
Thank God for red breeders like you!!! I agree with you on this....makes sense.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Thank God for red breeders like you!!! I agree with you on this....makes sense.
I wish people knew how sincere I am when I say this: I have been involved with this glorious breed since I was seven years old. I have been involved in this colour for about six years. I know the quality is not the same as in the blacks and whites because we used to breed blacks (with the rare litter with whites in them). The blacks and whites have far superior conformation...better heads, better tail sets, squarer bodies, nicer angulation as a general rule. But by God, I want to see it there one day!! I will do my part, breeding to the dogs I think are the best quality, and hopefully others will too. Maybe one day we can open up this tiny gene pool with better quality red Spoos and improve them to the point where we will be respected for what we are doing and producing dogs that are at the caliber the blacks and whites are at today. There is the very rare red Standard Poodle today that could compete with its black and white cousins and have a chance in heck of beating them in the ring, but they are few and far between. There are likely about ten in the entire world that are in the same category as their cousins. But when I see the conformation of Lucy and Brandi, and the remarkable colour,top lines, heads and tail sets on Betty-Jo and Jenny, I KNOW I am not wasting my time, and look to the future with a little despair (because there are so many BYB's in reds) but also a lot of hope and excitement. If we could transfer the colour of our dogs onto the bodies of the blacks or whites, well, that would be a happy day. But it is going to take a ton of work and some puppies who may not be the colour we breed to begin making a difference.

Edited to say that because of all of this, the most popular colours in the show ring would be black and white. A much bigger number of dogs in those colours with conformation worthy of a win, so people are more inclined to show them. A bigger variety of breeders who are doing it right and for the right reasons too.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
On average, I meet about a person a day who says they've never seen an apricot poodle. And almost all of them say that they love the color.

Keep up the good work, Arreau!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
On average, I meet about a person a day who says they've never seen an apricot poodle. And almost all of them say that they love the color.

Keep up the good work, Arreau!
Really? I have to say that apricot is the most common poodle color we see in the salon I work at, even.. four apricot standards come in.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Seriously. I'm talking about out on the street, and not in a salon setting like you have, where people are bringing poodles to you.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Lol when you're out on the street people look at poodles like they're some sort of exotic animal! They sure get heads turning!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
LOL....I had someone tell me they had never seen a black poodle before. Really!?!!?! It just seems like they are everywhere. I know I keep an extra eye out for them though, and glad she was able to see something new.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
My brother has one of Holly's daughters and she is light red. Two women were walking past the car and stopped when seeing her to talk. One of them told my sister-in-law she needed to complain to the breeder because the breeder sold them an Afgan and only told them it was a Poodle!! My S-I-L said she was pretty sure she was safe because she got the dog from me, and the woman was mortified saying bad enough to be duped by a breeder, but a breeder who is your sister-in-law. My brother called me laughing his fool head off. I guess they just thought all Poos were black or white.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
My brother has one of Holly's daughters and she is light red. Two women were walking past the car and stopped when seeing her to talk. One of them told my sister-in-law she needed to complain to the breeder because the breeder sold them an Afgan and only told them it was a Poodle!! My S-I-L said she was pretty sure she was safe because she got the dog from me, and the woman was mortified saying bad enough to be duped by a breeder, but a breeder who is your sister-in-law. My brother called me laughing his fool head off. I guess they just thought all Poos were black or white.
Don't you just love self proclaimed experts!?! LMAO!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Now That's Funny!!!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
You can't fail harder then that!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
:pound:

OMG that is too funny!

How one can even get an afghan and a poodle mix up in the first place???
Afghans have long tails that curl with little hair on it
and Poodles usually will have short tails with a small puff on it

And the coat difference???

Self Proclaimed experts are soo funny, but can be so frustratingly ignorant at times, that make you want to just want to scream!!!!!

ETA:

I stand corrected

This is a picture of a Standard Poodle that "looks" like an afghan

:giggle:

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Are you sure that's a poodle, jak? o_o The tail is VERY afgan like! Or did you mean to say an Afgan that looks like a standard? x)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts