Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies to those waiting for news for being off line - a power cut at the worst possible moment! It started just before I picked Poppy up from the vets at 2pm, and lasted till 4am - we think builders in the village damaged the main cable. Not only was I without light, heating and cooking myself but I was first port of call for all the more vulnerable residents as well. I nipped round to check on everyone before picking Poppy up and all was well at that point, but then more houses went down and it got dark and people started knocking at the door, with Poppy hauling herself up and going to investigate each time. By 6ish more neighbours were home from work to help and I rather battened down the hatches and left them to it. We were promised a generator which didn’t materialise, so in the end the easiest and safest thing was to take the dogs up to bed, where I could at least keep Poppy warm under the duvet with me and knew I wouldn’t trip over her in the dark.

She was very trembly at first, but that wore off as the anaesthetic began to clear her system, and she was ready to eat within an hour or two of coming home (chicken, of course). Pretty amazing when you think about it - hysterectomy at 11am, home at 2pm - but the vet nurse made very sure I knew what to do and what to watch for, and at home they get one to one care and all the comfort of familiarity.

We actually slept pretty well in the circumstances, except for Poppy asking to go out for a pee around 11pm (not fun on the dark stairs carrying dog and LED lantern, while hoicking up long dressing gown), and me having to get up in the small hours when the power came back on to turn off all the lights I had switched on automatically on going into dark rooms, but after 11 hours in bed it explains why I am up so early - 5.30am! Poppy has been out for a pee, had breakfast (chicken of course) and is back asleep on the bed at my feet, covered up with a baby onesie to protect the wound and a fleece blanket against the cold - too early for the central heating to be on. Sophy is being very good about sharing the bed - she usually mithers me to make Poppy move because it is her bed, but she seems to accept that at the moment Poppy needs to be there.

I am hoping for a relaxed, easy day today to make up for yesterday's alarums and excursions. I have not yet checked Poppy's incisions - they looked rather gory yesterday which is not surprising but I will resist the temptation to get out the hibiscrub for another day or two...

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Well it sounds like you had a pretty inconvenient evening! Glad that Poppy is none the worse for it though! Hoping from now on out all is well!

Reactions: Muggles and fjm

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
So glad to hear Poppy's home and recovering, and that you are too.

Now, to keep Poppy Popup calm for a few healing days :)

Reactions: fjm

·
Registered
12,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One advantage of her being 9 years old rather than 9 months is that self limiting comes rather more easily. I am keeping a lead on her even so - no jumping or stairs yet awhile. At the moment all she really wants to do is sleep - it is a comfortable, natural sleep, and the very best thing for her.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am so happy to hear of Poppy’s progress. You are just the best mom! And neighbor too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
I am glad Poppy's home despite the power drama, I am sending good thoughts your way that Poppy heals up just fine with no worries.

·
Registered
12,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She is being very good and very sensible - snuggled into bed wrapped into a blanket, eating and drinking well, and telling me when she needs to go out. And Sophy is being very good about sharing her bed, even letting Poppy snuggle up close to her which is usually an absolute no-no. Pity we can't get out for a long walk as the sun is shining despite the chill wind, but we will make up for it in a few weeks time.

Reactions: hkb and lily cd re

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Well I just wrote a nice post and by the time I finished I was bumped off and now lost all the new posts too. Oh well. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for Poppy, it was good to hear she is doing well. Sorry you had a power outage, at least it gave you and Poppy lo0ts of extra cuddle time. We are about to have a cold wave, its been raining for a day and a half as the cold weather approaches. We may even have a freeze! I already have the heat on though somedays I still need AC. We have a whole house generator so I do not have to worry about power outage any longer. Many years ago after hurricane and no power for a week, we decided this was a good option for where we live. Thankfully I haven't had to use it long term but it has come in handy for those outages that sometime occur. Enjoy the extra cuddle time with Poppy.

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
On no need to apologize for not posting to us when things were so complicated at home.

I am happy to hear that Poppy did so well and hope everything settles back to routine today.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
That’s good news, she is recovering nicely. Hopefully the power woes are behind you, how annoying.

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
Good news her surgery went well and she’s safe and sound at home. Power outages are never convenient, always annoying especially this time! Healing thoughts from far away in Texas for Poppy.

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Really glad to hear she's back. I'm also glad to hear she's eating and drinking normally. I hate when the power goes out. I always go in the bathroom, turn on the light, and then wonder why it didn't work. Hugs!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Glad to hear that Poppy is on the mend! Power outages always happen at the worst times don't they?

·
Registered
12,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm very grateful that the power is back on - Poppy's digestive system got back into working order around 11pm last night, and between then and 7am this morning we had rather a lot of trips down the stairs, out the door into a wet and windy night, and all around the houses to find the perfect patch of grass. Thank heavens the lights were working on the stairs and outside - as it was I practically had to run to keep up with her once I put her down. Brief moment of horror this morning when my short-sighted gaze (just out of bed so no contacts) met a gory lump on the bedroom floor... Tilly had caught a vole and left some behind.

I must adapt another onesie for her today, so I can wash the one she is wearing. I could not order a recovery suit online and be sure of it arriving in time, so bought a pack of 3 supermarket baby onesie vests, and with a slit cut and hemmed for her tail and another to enable her to pee they are a good fit. They keep the wounds covered without excluding air, stop her licking, and keep her warm - excellent value for £1 each!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts