Poodle Forum banner

141 - 160 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
11,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
The only way of being sure of the cause is a biopsy, and she is well enough for the op, so at the moment the vets are concentrating on getting the inflammation down, bile flowing, and supporting the liver as much as possible - hence the importance of the supportive diet. But even the best food is no good if she won't eat it, so I may need to concoct a second best. She ate a good breakfast of about 40% canned, 60% chicken and rice - she is hungry, just not for the "right" food!

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Poppy was used to eating homemade meals, no wonder the tinned special diet is so unappetizing to her. Is there anyway you could prepare a home cooked version of the liver diet? Or is there a liver friendly topper you can add to make the tinned more appealing?

we are all cheering Poppy back to good health.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thinking of you and Poppy. Does she prefer warm food? Does she like it served into her bowl out of a special cook pan? For example: cook your regular home food and scrape into a container. Inconspicuously put Poppy’s canned food into the unwashed cooking pan to warm and stir. Fill her bowl and see if she calls your bluff 😊

I hope you and Poppy have a warm and snuggly day.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The only way of being sure of the cause is a biopsy, and she is well enough for the op, so at the moment the vets are concentrating on getting the inflammation down, bile flowing, and supporting the liver as much as possible - hence the importance of the supportive diet. But even the best food is no good if she won't eat it, so I may need to concoct a second best. She ate a good breakfast of about 40% canned, 60% chicken and rice - she is hungry, just not for the "right" food!
At my clinic we have a nutrition textbook (sponsored by Royal Canin) that contains recipes for homemade diets geared to specific disease processes. Maybe ask your vet if they have something similar, and if not I could pm you a picture of the hepatic support diets. Even if you don't follow the recipe precisely it might give you some ideas of good food additives for Poppy.

·
Registered
11,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Starvt, that would be brilliant - yes please! My vet is being careful, and has accepted chicken-and-rice as a short term measure, given me a couple of doses of anti-nausea medicine, and said to bring her in immediately if she deteriorates. When we got home I made rice porridge with chicken stock and added minced cooked chicken, and she licked the bowl clean - the anti-nausea meds are still in my pocket. I think the hepatic diet is just insufficiently appealing to tempt her. I am more than happy to cook for her, but need to get it as right as I can - if you could pm me a scan of the suggested recipes that would be great.

·
Registered
11,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Well, after stopping the canned food and giving Poppy chicken porridge instead she is bouncing round the room demanding games, and telling me it must be time for another meal by now! Perhaps I should try eating more oats myself...

·
Premium Member
3,105 Posts
Glad to hear Poppy is bouncy. I do hope you are able to find a healthy diet to keep her that way. Sorry you're going through all this stress. Gentle hugs.

Click

·
Registered
11,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
We saw Poppy's usual vet this morning for a check and blood tests - I have made an appointment to discuss the results with him on Monday. He explained that the best case scenario is that she has had an acute liver infection, from which she could make a complete recovery. The most likely scenario is that there is chronic liver disease, the prognosis then depending on how aggressive it is - many dogs manage a good quality of life for several years with careful management. Worst case would be aggressive disease or aggressive tumour. He cheerfully acknowledged that nutrition is not his specialty, that if I had done my usual research I probably knew more about Poppy’s precise needs than he did, and to carry on feeding her what she was enjoying with the supplement I tracked down - the important thing is to keep her eating a good diet, and the vitamin supplement may help and won't harm.

So the probability is life limiting rather than immediately dangerous, and my shoulders have dropped another inch. They may, of course, go straight back up when I see the blood test results, but at the moment her life is very good. She does not want to go for walks, but is very happy playing in the house, pootling around the grounds here or going on short forays from the car to meet human and canine friends, and four meals a day with chicken medicines in between is Pop's idea of heaven. The steroids - which may get adjusted down next week - are making her drink and pee more than usual, including occasional night time incontinence, so I am waking her up and taking her out in the early hours - if it becomes an issue I will make incontinence pants for her, but at the moment we are coping.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Glad to hear that Poppy is coping and sorry that you have to wait so long for the test results. Hoping that you can stay in the Poppy moment until then.

·
Premium Member
22,437 Posts
I hope the tests give some clarity and that you will have a better picture of her prognosis after Monday. As scooterscout said just above and in my general way of thinking we should all live in the moment with peace and joy. One never knows what is around the corner.

·
Registered
11,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
I chose to wait till Monday for an appointment with her own vet, rather than try and take in all the details over the phone. I think the bile acid test needs to go out of house - that is the one we were waiting for last time - and now that Poppy is stable everything feels a little less urgent. Her vet said there are many different possible causes, but the treatment is much the same for all of them, so for the moment it is steady as we go.

And yes - seize the day. A friend has just lost her much loved ridgeback to lung cancer. He only began to show any symptoms 10 days ago, so the diagnosis and speed of his collapse came as a tremendous shock.

Today we went to the shore and Poppy had a nice hundred yard sniff and wander along the salt marshes. Then she snuggled in the car while Sophy and I did a rather more vigorous couple of miles. I have a batch of chicken treats in the oven, chicken porridge cooling by the stove, and we are just going for a walk around the garden - Poppy reckons life is good!

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
It sounds like Poppy had a good day today! Best wishes for Monday. Enjoy every moment- dogs do that so well don’t they?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I am happy for you that Poppy is again bouncy and feeling much better. I know how difficult this sort of thing can be. When Iris was quite elderly we determined that her liver was not functioning well. One thing the vet recommended was a medication, non-prescription, called Denamarin. It is specifically for liver support and has milk thistle and other things I can't remember right now. It helped and Iris got her appetite back. I wound up getting it on Amazon rather than from the vet as it was much less expensive through Amazon. You might look it up and depending on test results, maybe discuss this with your vet. Sending good wishes to you and Poppy! Cathy and my Poppy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Poppy’s days sound lovely. I’m hoping for the best scenario but if not, that she lives a good quality of life for years with medical management.

141 - 160 of 169 Posts