Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that she's taken a step backwards. I have no advice, since no experience with this, but will have Poppy and you (and Sophy, and Cats) in my thoughts and hope she's feeling herself again very soon.
Aww now Poppy stop and get eating your food! Feel better

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just back from the vet, who agrees it needs investigating and has taken blood for testing - he will ring me this afternoon with the results. In the meantime he has given her an anti-nausea jab that lasts 24 hours, 7 days of Omeprazole, and a couple of cans of different gastric diets to try. I have with some difficulty got half the contents of an Omeprazole capsule into her (very difficult things to divide!), and will wait an hour or so before offering her food.

He is not ruling anything out at this stage - pancreatitis, tumour, Cushing's, Addison's or other possibilities, including bad gastritis. So now we wait, and hope the drugs she has had make her feel better soon, and that the underlying cause is nothing too scary.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Sorry to hear, sending healing vibes across the pond.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Blood tests results are in - liver enzymes are very high, indicating inflammation of the liver/bile duct. Could be cancer, but her vet considers infection is more likely. He has started her on antibiotics, and says that as long as she is eating a bit and drinking enough she can be managed at home, but should she deteriorate she will need to be hospitalised on a drip. She would not eat anything before I went to pick up the ABs, but has had a few teaspoonfuls of the new canned food made into a soup with warm water since we got home, so the anti-nausea medications seem to be working. We have another vet appointment tomorrow - her vet is away for a few days, but is briefing his next in line. I am very glad I followed my instincts and took her in immediately she stopped eating.

Poor sausage is very poorly and being very brave - hold us in your thoughts, people.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
I do hope the antibiotics resolve this health issue so Poppy is back to her old self and feeling good.

Reactions: fjm

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Oh no...I hope it's an infection that can heal up and not cancer or some kind of liver disease. Have you thought about consulting a canine nutritionist to consult with for a liver friendly diet? I wonder if that might be easier on her. I remember doing that for my Dobe when he had liver disease. Even if Poppy doesn't have it, a diet that's easy on the liver might still make her feel better. You could ask your vet if that is called for yet. It excludes things like rice, which is high in magnesium, which I think is stored in the liver or maybe it's that it's hard to get out or metabolize. (I don't remember exactly) Anyhow, that diet had tapioca instead and things like sweet potato, regular potato, boiled chicken, hamburger, zucchini and a lot of other things I forget and a whole slew of supplements, loads and loads to make sure he was getting the calcium and other minerals and vitamins. Plus, he took Denosyl, Ursadial (sp?) and some other Rx. It's been a long time. But anyhow, if it turns out to be actual chronic liver disease, those things helped my dog feel a whole lot better for about a year and then he got stomach cancer. So I hope Poppy will pull through this and that it's a regular infection that will clear right up. Lots of get well vibes coming your way.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Poor Poppy! Hopefully the antibiotics clear everything up and she’ll be back to her usual perky self. Fingers crossed she continues to improve and eat the new food!!

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
She is managing about a teaspoonful of food at a time, which is several teaspoonfuls more than this morning. I am very worried about her though - I know very little about liver diseases other than cancer, so really need the vet to talk me through it tomorrow. Her vet did explain on the phone, but it is hard to ask the right questions till you have had time for the news to sink in and to think. I have, of course, googled but that just makes it worse - so many things to worry about!

I didn't get much sleep last night so we may go and snooze soon - at the moment both dogs are snuggled into their comfy beds at my feet and it is hard to believe there is anything wrong.

·
Premium Member
22,869 Posts
Aww I am just sorry this continues to be distressing for all of you. No advise, just good wishes.

·
Registered
404 Posts
She is managing about a teaspoonful of food at a time, which is several teaspoonfuls more than this morning. I am very worried about her though - I know very little about liver diseases other than cancer, so really need the vet to talk me through it tomorrow. Her vet did explain on the phone, but it is hard to ask the right questions till you have had time for the news to sink in and to think. I have, of course, googled but that just makes it worse - so many things to worry about!

I didn't get much sleep last night so we may go and snooze soon - at the moment both dogs are snuggled into their comfy beds at my feet and it is hard to believe there is anything wrong.
Sending you best wishes

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Sending love and wishes for good health and rapid healing. I am sorry you and dear Poppy are having a very rough time right now. Many hugs. Cathy

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
She is worse this morning. I shall phone the vets when they open in an hour or so, and ask if she can be seen immediately, and perhaps put on a drip if needed.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Poppy is now hospitalised. She was so decidedly worse this morning - lethargic and shivery and hunched - that I decided not to wait to phone the vets but to take her straight over to be there when they opened at 8.30am, to catch the vet before morning surgery. He agreed Poppy needed to be on a drip ASAP, and that further tests are needed to pinpoint exactly what is going on. Some of yesterday's blood tests indicate liver failure, some indicate that the liver function is fine, and there are indications of pancreatitis as well, but that could be an effect rather than a cause. He will do a bile function test, and perhaps a scan, although he may hold that till the bile results are in tomorrow. She will be there for at least 24 hours, probably more - usually I would worry about stress, but she was too poorly to care much. I will keep this afternoon’s appointment so I can see her, and get an update. Vet said not to expect much change, but she should be brighter once fully hydrated. No point in asking for a prognosis till we know more about the cause, and that could require a biopsy. At the moment it is supportive and symptomatic treatment while they investigate.

At least I know she is being closely monitored and cared for - they will probably transfer her to the main hospital in Kendal this evening as that is staffed overnight.

I have promised Sophy a long walk this morning, which will do us both good. She has been angelically patient, poor love - glorious sunshine all day yesterday and we stayed in except for a visit to the vet when she stayed in the car and a hundred yards walk by the river, which was as much as Poppy could manage.

Thanks for your support, everyone - it helps to have people who understand the stomach churning anxiety. And thank heavens for my well-stuffed Peace-of-Mind savings account, which at least means I don't have to worry about the cost.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Best wishes for a speedy diagnosis. Here’s my recent experience with liver problems. Last June my non-spoo went to the ER with early morning pain, blood tests indicated liver problems, followed by a scan. She had a mass which wasn’t able to be biopsied. She had surgery to remove it, without knowing what it was, but the ending was somewhat positive. It was a slow-growing type of cancer that, if it returns, may not impact her lifespan (she’s 11). We’re having quarterly scans as follow-up to monitor any regrowth.

It was quite stressful to hear this news (7 cm growth) and need to make a decision immediately with limited test data. I was due to leave town for work 2 days later and am grateful that this didn’t happen with the dogs in boarding. Worst case it could have been a fatal/metastatic cancer and the surgery would have been for naught.

So sorry that Poppy is going through this and that you’re without her at home. It’s lonely with only one dog at home and they don’t know why there buddy isn’t there.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
So Sorry Poppy has gotten in a worse state but it is wonderful that you have such a good relationship with your vet. Hopefully the hydration will help her feel somewhat better and that she can begin to eat again and regain some strength while they figure out the problem. Warm thoughts to you as you go thru this ordeal.

21 - 40 of 170 Posts