Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so excited!!! She is almost 10 months old and I am very pleased with her!! Poodles sure are smart!!

The only thing she had trouble with was the stay, it took us a few tries but she got it. That was the main thing I was worried about going into the test.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I think stay is the hardest concept for a puppy to grasp. It will be the part I will be most worried about when Teddy takes a similar exam next month. Is it cheating to superglue your dog to the floor? How about velcro? :D

Anyway, congrats to you and Poppy! :cheer2:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was fairly relaxed, but as Poppy knew none of the people she was excited and wanted to greet everyone. They had a different person doing almost every segment of the test and the crowd consited of 4 people. Stations were as follows:
1. Sit and down, greating a person
2. Stay and recall (same person as 1)
3. Grooming-brushing, looking in ears, touching both front feet. When she said she was going to check her ears, I let her know that Poppy has not been to the groomer because she was in heat and that I had been doing her fft but had not pulled her ear hair. She laughed and said it was ok that she was just making sure she would let someone brush her and look in her ears and check her overall appearance. I felt a little silly.
4. Walking with loose leash, right turn, left turn, greeting a person with another dog, about turn. She was interested in the dog, but only mildly and that is acceptable, no lunghing or jumping
5. Obsticles and distraction. Person with a rolling walker and a person hitting together two aluminum pie pans. She just glanced at them and went on.
6. Crowd- she turned her head and sniffed at them which is acceptable, but no pulling or jumping
7. Being left alone with a stranger- come on, Poppy thinks everyone is her friend and could have cared less that I left.

I know there are 10 testing items, but they grouped a few into the same station.

Thanks for all the praise on her passing:). She will be evaluated by HABIT (Human Animal Bond in Tennessee) a program with the University of TN College of Veterinary Medicine after she is 1 year old to see if she would qualify for doing therapy work with them. They are the group that is allowed in our Children's Hospital and have other therapy facilities in our area. Hopefully she will qualify, but only time will tell and if not then its ok also.

HABIT web address if interested- HABIT - Human Animal Bond in Tennessee

·
Registered
114 Posts
Great job Poppy! I think it's wonderful for you to pass your CGC so young, both of my standards have also. Obedience training is a wonderful way to bond with your dog, don't you think? Good luck with the therapy dog eval, I am working on getting Ellie certified for Animal Assisted Therapy, I think poodles are perfect for therapy work.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Huge congrats! My shepherd and Vega have their CGC..i bet i could have it done on Dodger without going the the class she's so naturally well behaved...I think it's great that you get involved and get them trained. Such a good start for the pup!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts