Poodle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Sunny, Spring-like weather today. It was my upholstery class, but we fitted in a half mile down by the river on the way and nearly a mile round the village at lunch time, which is the most Poppy has walked since this all began. And then she came into the hall why I ate my lunch and delighted everyone by bouncing enthusiastically after the tiny home made treats I tossed for her and for Sophy - they all know how worried I have been. She really does seem better every day - the blood tests on Monday will tell how well her liver is recovering, but it is lovely to see her so cheerful.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I’m so glad that Poppy is continuing to improve and return to her happy self. Hoping for good news from the next blood tests.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sunny, Spring-like weather today. It was my upholstery class, but we fitted in a half mile down by the river on the way and nearly a mile round the village at lunch time, which is the most Poppy has walked since this all began. And then she came into the hall why I ate my lunch and delighted everyone by bouncing enthusiastically after the tiny home made treats I tossed for her and for Sophy - they all know how worried I have been. She really does seem better every day - the blood tests on Monday will tell how well her liver is recovering, but it is lovely to see her so cheerful.
Poppy, what a girl! So wonderful to hear about her walks. Even the weather is trying to support her and you. I’m sure her furry siblings are trying to be supportive in their own way. Fingers crossed for Monday’s test results. But till then, enjoy each minute she seems better. Big virtual hug to you.

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
More goodish news today. Poppy’s liver enzyme results are generally improving - still very high, but down considerably from where they were, and no change in the ones that were already OK. Her vet recommends continuing the drugs as they are for another four weeks, then possibly starting to slightly reduce the steroids depending on how she is, with more tests in eight weeks. She is happily eating the special hepatic food as long as I mix in some chicken - the extra protein is a Good Thing at this stage - but what with steroids and me being paranoid about her not eating she has piled on weight. The vet is not concerned, but I am now weighing out her daily ration to stop her getting ever bulgier. He was very complementary about my care of her - he said how much easier it was to explain things to someone who knew how to research and how to discard the woo. There is still a chance she may make a complete recovery, although the probability is a chronic condition to be managed with diet and drugs.

She is now happily walking up to 3/4 mile at a time, and doing around 1.5 miles a day - a great improvement on wanting to get back in the car after two minutes, and one that makes it much easier to get out and about. Or would, if it would only stop raining!

·
Premium Member
22,587 Posts
Sounds wonderful!

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
That;s a wonderful update. Fingers and toes crossed that she fully recovers, or it's a manageable chronic disease.

·
Registered
362 Posts
More goodish news today. Poppy’s liver enzyme results are generally improving - still very high, but down considerably from where they were, and no change in the ones that were already OK. Her vet recommends continuing the drugs as they are for another four weeks, then possibly starting to slightly reduce the steroids depending on how she is, with more tests in eight weeks. She is happily eating the special hepatic food as long as I mix in some chicken - the extra protein is a Good Thing at this stage - but what with steroids and me being paranoid about her not eating she has piled on weight. The vet is not concerned, but I am now weighing out her daily ration to stop her getting ever bulgier. He was very complementary about my care of her - he said how much easier it was to explain things to someone who knew how to research and how to discard the woo. There is still a chance she may make a complete recovery, although the probability is a chronic condition to be managed with diet and drugs.

She is now happily walking up to 3/4 mile at a time, and doing around 1.5 miles a day - a great improvement on wanting to get back in the car after two minutes, and one that makes it much easier to get out and about. Or would, if it would only stop raining!
So glad to hear that Poppy is improving. A testament to the great care you are giving her

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts

You were so worried about the tests. Hope the latest results helped a little. You are so attuned to slightest change in Poppy’s health, eating/walking and other habits, that she feels safe in your care. Just hope you have someone close, besides her vet, with whom you can talk about your worries and anxiety. Poppy has problems, but knowledge and love for her, make you anxious and drain you. Keeping you and her, as well as the rest of your furry bunch in my thoughts and prayers. There are next 8 weeks ahead of you till vet’s recheck & more tests. Hope the rain will give way to sunshine and you can enjoy the walks and being outside. You need it as much as Poppy.
Big hug.

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Thanks everyone. We are all finding it much easier now that Poppy is happy to walk a bit - when we were leaving her in the car Sophy would keep telling me I had forgotten something, and try to take me back to get her. We are now adapting old routines and easing into new ones - back to our regular morning walk by the river to catch up on friends and p-mails, and home for Poppy's medicines and chicken all round, a few treats for Sophy when Poppy gets her extra meals, a break for a sit and a cuddle and a game of hunt the treat on longer walks, etc, etc. I can quite see why owner compliance is a problem in dealing with liver disease, though - to anyone who doesn't know Poppy seems absolutely fine, and I am still having to intervene to stop some of my elderly neighbours giving her thoroughly unsuitable treats!

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Poppy was a bit off this morning - uncomfy and diarrhoea - so I took her over to the vets, worrying she might be heading back down the slippery slope. We did a very careful handover and history taking in the carpark, then lovely vet brought her back out after a thorough examination and blood taken - we both feared this could be the start of her liver deteriorating. Nothing much wrong with her clinically, so he gave me metronidazole to start immediately, and a second AB to start if the blood test results should indicate it was necessary.

Just got the results - not a full set as their in-house machine is pretty basic, but everything it could measure has halved, and bilirubin is back in normal range. So it looks as if she just has a touch of colitis, and her liver is continuing to improve steadily. Normally I would just give her a bland diet, but because of everything else she has a few days of yet more medication for it and is delighted - more scrummy chicken!

·
Registered
27 Posts
FJM, it must’ve been a very difficult morning for both: Poppy & you. Hopefully, between metronidazole & your loving TLC, diarrhea will be short episode. Commonly, rice is used for diarrhea. Any chance oatmeal might sooth her stomach ( you can add chicken or anything you deem necessary)? Sasha is allergic to chicken & salmon, so we cooked non-fat beef hamburger, then rinsed through with hot water and mixed with rice for dinner, but AM feeding we tried oatmeal - it has detoxifying properties (rolled oats are less chewy & easy to just swallow).
Just trying to help in any way I may. With the isolation, anything that happens, feels scarier. Hang on dear, this too shall pass.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm so sorry that you guys had a difficult morning, but I'm very happy to hear that Poppy's liver is improving and that she gets chicken!

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Thanks Mick - the hepatic and chicken has kept her on an even keel for the last six weeks or so, and I am reluctant to change it if I can avoid it. I do have chicken and oatmeal in the freezer if necessary, but with luck this will clear quickly. If it had not been for the liver issue it would have been a squeeze of tummy paste, 24 hours of chicken and rice and no worry at all, but as things are any digestive upsets are a big red flag.

Poppy is very happy about the chicken too, F-W!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks Mick - the hepatic and chicken has kept her on an even keel for the last six weeks or so, and I am reluctant to change it if I can avoid it. I do have chicken and oatmeal in the freezer if necessary, but with luck this will clear quickly. If it had not been for the liver issue it would have been a squeeze of tummy paste, 24 hours of chicken and rice and no worry at all, but as things are any digestive upsets are a big red flag.

Poppy is very happy about the chicken too, F-W!
FJM,
You know Poppy and what to do in this situation best. My apology for intruding. It’s heartbreaking, to understand how scary for you, each change in Poppy’s GI function is; it can be nothing or something serious. My wishful thinking got the better of me. Will try not to stick in, but try to support you from afar. My thoughts and 🙏🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for Poppy’s and your well-being.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts