Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Sounds like a good day all around.siba, the poodle who won BIS at Westminster eats only chicken, so Poppy is in good company. Sending healing thoughts your way.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Sounds like the day went well, and perhaps it was a blip in her recovery. I understand adding chicken to her meals to be a good thing to keep her eating what she needs to be eating. I hope it continues and that the bad weather is now behind you for the most part.

·
Registered
361 Posts
We grabbed a break in the weather to go for a walk - much excitement at meeting human and canine friends, then Poppy snuggled in the car while Sophy and I got a couple of miles in, with blue skies and sunshine to make up for the blustery wind. Poppy then finished her porridge with some of the cats' special chicken, so I am hoping it was just an acid tummy blip (paws and fingers crossed!). I am not used to having to tempt Poppy, though, and don't want her to get into the habit of refusing meals in the hope of something better, but nutrition is such an important part of managing liver failure that waiting her out really isn't an option. So far good old chicken is still proving irresistible - long may it last!
Sending good wishes your way

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
48 hours later Poppy is once more eating the hepatic diet, with a bit of chicken added to aid palatability. I have worked out how to turn the porridge into mini muffins - easier to transport if we are out and about, and a more appealing texture. I am freezing her various foods in ice cube trays and then bagging up the chunks - that way I can defrost a few at a time and avoid throwing whole pots and cans away when she changes her mind. Horrible weather here - we managed a brief walk this morning but it has rained steadily ever since - so lots of rainy day games and quick dashes out to do the necessary. Both dogs are now sleeping comfortably in beds by my chair - I should be at the annual Residents Meeting but cried off for once!

·
Premium Member
22,587 Posts
I hope this settles into be your new normal, not quite normal, mostly good and fairly easy to manage.

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I too am hoping this is the new normal - bit by bit we are adapting routines and making things fit. Breakfast for all the animals plus Prednidale for Poppy when I first get up; out for a very short wander around the grounds and down by the river around 9am, weather permitting; back in time for Denamarin on an empty stomach at 10am; Poppy lunch around noon; a longer walk for Sophy at some point, while Poppy snoozes; supper for all at 4pm with Destolit for Poppy; supper for Poppy at 8pm. And in between lots of trips out into the garden and lots of games - those very tiny treats are extremely useful! Sophy has piled on weight due to not enough exercise and my losing track of how much I was feeding her in all the worry and muddle, so she is now on a diet, but even so she can have 40 or more tiny treats, which is a lot of games.

Thank heavens I am retired, and can plan my days around their needs.

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
For breakfast today Poppy had:
1 chunk of chicken breast with a Prednidale tablet hidden in it
1 mini oat and chicken muffin
1 cube minced chicken
2 cubes RC hepatic

She said it was scrummy and licked the bowl clean! And I am happy as it hit all the targets for calories, protein, and most other nutrients. I weighed her yesterday and she is not losing weight, which is a good thing (neither is Sophy yet, unfortunately!). Our attempts to walk were stymied by flooding on the footpaths, but we did get out of the house and into the fresh air for a bit, and even saw clear skies and watery sunshine. Wish we could share all this wet around a bit - we have far more than we need or want at the moment!

·
Registered
27 Posts
48 hours later Poppy is once more eating the hepatic diet, with a bit of chicken added to aid palatability. I have worked out how to turn the porridge into mini muffins - easier to transport if we are out and about, and a more appealing texture. I am freezing her various foods in ice cube trays and then bagging up the chunks - that way I can defrost a few at a time and avoid throwing whole pots and cans away when she changes her mind. Horrible weather here - we managed a brief walk this morning but it has rained steadily ever since - so lots of rainy day games and quick dashes out to do the necessary. Both dogs are now sleeping comfortably in beds by my chair - I should be at the annual Residents Meeting but cried off for once!
If Poppy only knew what her mom is willing to do for her well being. I’m sure she senses your efforts to make her life easier and is trying to do her best eating. Hopefully the weather will get better and you all will get out for fresh air. Until then, stay warm, comfy and get some rest yourself.

·
Registered
361 Posts
For breakfast today Poppy had:
1 chunk of chicken breast with a Prednidale tablet hidden in it
1 mini oat and chicken muffin
1 cube minced chicken
2 cubes RC hepatic

She said it was scrummy and licked the bowl clean! And I am happy as it hit all the targets for calories, protein, and most other nutrients. I weighed her yesterday and she is not losing weight, which is a good thing (neither is Sophy yet, unfortunately!). Our attempts to walk were stymied by flooding on the footpaths, but we did get out of the house and into the fresh air for a bit, and even saw clear skies and watery sunshine. Wish we could share all this wet around a bit - we have far more than we need or want at the moment!
Good show, Poppy! And you are such a diligent mom. Hope the rain lets up for you. Please send it to the British Columbia interior. Charlie the Poodle has unfortunately discovered that 6 feet of snowpack in the backyard means he can step across the barely visible top of the fence and go visiting his friend Wolf in his adjoining yard.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Have as much rain as you would like, CP, but please don't send any snow in return! Poppy was positively joyous this morning - we had a lot of disturbance from the cats being silly the night before, and I was so sleepy I actually went to bed when Poppy asked me to at 8.30pm. I woke her up to go out for a pee around 2am, and then we slept till 7am when she ate her breakfast with enthusiasm. Lots of restful sleep and good food - just what she needs.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Have as much rain as you would like, CP, but please don't send any snow in return! Poppy was positively joyous this morning - we had a lot of disturbance from the cats being silly the night before, and I was so sleepy I actually went to bed when Poppy asked me to at 8.30pm. I woke her up to go out for a pee around 2am, and then we slept till 7am when she ate her breakfast with enthusiasm. Lots of restful sleep and good food - just what she needs.
Yay for restful sleep and good food!

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yesterday we went for a walk by the shore and for the first time Poppy did not want to get back in the car after her short stroll, and insisted on walking on with Sophy and me. She was tired after a few hundred yards and I carried her back, but a promising sign. Today she happily walked the full half mile of our usual early walk by the river - the sun was shining, the wind has dropped, and it felt positively Spring like after yesterday's sleet and hail! I have noticed her nose is moist, too - it has been very dry and rough since her illness started. There may be no connection, but it certainly looks less sore.

Blood tests in two weeks - I am not going to get too hopeful as I know how apparently miraculous steroids can be, but for now she is very happy, very bouncy, eating well, and seems generally comfortable. I am counting my blessings...

·
Premium Member
6,064 Posts
Yesterday we went for a walk by the shore and for the first time Poppy did not want to get back in the car after her short stroll, and insisted on walking on with Sophy and me. She was tired after a few hundred yards and I carried her back, but a promising sign. Today she happily walked the full half mile of our usual early walk by the river - the sun was shining, the wind has dropped, and it felt positively Spring like after yesterday's sleet and hail! I have noticed her nose is moist, too - it has been very dry and rough since her illness started. There may be no connection, but it certainly looks less sore.

Blood tests in two weeks - I am not going to get too hopeful as I know how apparently miraculous steroids can be, but for now she is very happy, very bouncy, eating well, and seems generally comfortable. I am counting my blessings...
I am hoping Poppy will prevail, to me it's always been how well my animal friend lives and enjoys life, the rest will sort itself.

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have been thinking the same way, Twyla - better months or even only weeks of happy bouncing than years of feeling as miserably ill as she was at first. It is six weeks since diagnosis and starting treatment and she seems to be improving fairly steadily, and that is enough to make me happy for now.

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Poppy is still well - slight upset last night when she had an uncomfy tummy and couldn't settle, but after a couple of trips outside she slept through till morning. She is now doing the half mile early morning walk every day, plus another very short outing later on - both with the encouragement of a few treats along the way. I have to take care not to go too far or she needs to be carried back, but it is a big improvement over the hundred yards or so she was managing a few weeks ago.

I have been mixing a little minced chicken into her hepatic diet - her blood tests indicated no problems with protein, and from what I have read a rather higher level than that in the canned food is advisable at this stage. It also seems to be what keeps her eating it - this morning I had run out and offered her plain canned. I got a look of pure amazement, as if it were torn up cardboard... I had to raid a spoonful of chicken from the cats' food, and once that was mixed in the cardboard suddenly became edible and she emptied he bowl.

·
Registered
476 Posts
So glad to hear a good report on Poppy! It is very nice that your walks are normalizing. Taking a walk together is such a pleasure. Enjoy!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Poppy is still well - slight upset last night when she had an uncomfy tummy and couldn't settle, but after a couple of trips outside she slept through till morning. She is now doing the half mile early morning walk every day, plus another very short outing later on - both with the encouragement of a few treats along the way. I have to take care not to go too far or she needs to be carried back, but it is a big improvement over the hundred yards or so she was managing a few weeks ago.

I have been mixing a little minced chicken into her hepatic diet - her blood tests indicated no problems with protein, and from what I have read a rather higher level than that in the canned food is advisable at this stage. It also seems to be what keeps her eating it - this morning I had run out and offered her plain canned. I got a look of pure amazement, as if it were torn up cardboard... I had to raid a spoonful of chicken from the cats' food, and once that was mixed in the cardboard suddenly became edible and she emptied he bowl.
You are ingenious when it comes to motivation to eat & walk for Poppy and it sounds like she is gratifying you by trying to get better. Together you are doing the best possible under the circumstances. I hope the rest of furry bunch sense that Poppy needs you the most and don’t act jealous. Hope this week is better then the previous.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts