Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw Poppy's vet this morning - the news is reasonably positive, although there is still a long way to go and it is too soon to know the long term prognosis. All the figures are down, with several important ones (notably albumen and ammonia) within normal range. Bilirubin and bile acid are still extremely high, but are down considerably from three weeks ago. The overall picture is of a liver that is still functioning, but with considerable inflammation especially of the bile ducts. The plan is to continue treating with prednidale, Denamarin (SAM-e and silybin) and Destolit (bile thinner), plus the special hepatic diet, which she has started eating again. More tests in four weeks.

This thread continues from:
and

I thought it may be helpful to others facing similar issues in the future to pull the threads together under liver failure.

Poppy herself is bright, bouncy, hungry and bored! She doesn’t want to walk for more than a few hundred yards, but needs the stimulation of being out and about - I can see a buggy looming…!

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
That is goodish news. Hopefully it will continue to be a chronic illness you can manage for many years.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Glad to hear she is doing a bit better. I know how hard it is hoping for them to recover. My sister found a stray dog that she ended up keeping. He went into random acute liver failure twice, and it was only ever determined to be some sort of anaphylaxis. He almost died those two times. The second time he actually stopped breathing and I had to force his throat open on the way to the vet to let air get through. First time his liver values (I don't recall what they were measuring specifically) were 4000. Second time they were over 10,000. He had to get plasma infusions both times, and he ended up pulling through fine and after the second time he never had another reaction. Hoping Poppy will pull through and do well too.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
So glad there is some positive news and that Poppy is still happy. The buggy sounds like a great plan!

·
Premium Member
22,409 Posts
That is goodish news for sure. And goodish is way better than baddish on all scales.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
We purchased a wagon for our ailing dog! Poppy will look so cute going for a ride and sniffing the fresh air. It's nice because they can get out for a minute or two, explore a small area, and then it's back in for another little journey to somewhere else.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Definitely goodish and even hopeful for continued stabilization. Continuing to send your sweet poppet Poppy and you good and healing thoughts from Cali, Fjm. Love your buggy idea; it's exactly why I got mine.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Very goodish news! Sounds like everything is trending in the right direction!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I saw Poppy's vet this morning - the news is reasonably positive, although there is still a long way to go and it is too soon to know the long term prognosis. All the figures are down, with several important ones (notably albumen and ammonia) within normal range. Bilirubin and bile acid are still extremely high, but are down considerably from three weeks ago. The overall picture is of a liver that is still functioning, but with considerable inflammation especially of the bile ducts. The plan is to continue treating with prednidale, Denamarin (SAM-e and silybin) and Destolit (bile thinner), plus the special hepatic diet, which she has started eating again. More tests in four weeks.

This thread continues from:
and

I thought it may be helpful to others facing similar issues in the future to pull the threads together under liver failure.

Poppy herself is bright, bouncy, hungry and bored! She doesn’t want to walk for more than a few hundred yards, but needs the stimulation of being out and about - I can see a buggy looming…!
Wishing you and Poppy the best

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After happily eating the canned hepatic food for a week Poppy refused it this morning. She has had some chicken porridge, but didn't eat all of it. She is still very keen on treats and chicken, so I don't think she is particularly nauseous, but I have a couple of days of anti-nausea tablets in reserve just in case. My anxiety levels shoot up at every worrying sign, though, remembering how very quickly she went from not wanting to eat to needing intensive care - I feel each could be a blip on the road to recovery, or the start of a sudden and catastrophic decline.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Aww hugs, hopefully its just an off morning and she will pop up to herself as the day goes on.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Echoing Mufar's virtual hugs, Fjm. You and Poppy and her vet team have been doing everything possible. This may be a little blip, a glitch, just of course it is natural for you to be alarmed.

I'm sending you two love and healthy thoughts from here. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
11,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We grabbed a break in the weather to go for a walk - much excitement at meeting human and canine friends, then Poppy snuggled in the car while Sophy and I got a couple of miles in, with blue skies and sunshine to make up for the blustery wind. Poppy then finished her porridge with some of the cats' special chicken, so I am hoping it was just an acid tummy blip (paws and fingers crossed!). I am not used to having to tempt Poppy, though, and don't want her to get into the habit of refusing meals in the hope of something better, but nutrition is such an important part of managing liver failure that waiting her out really isn't an option. So far good old chicken is still proving irresistible - long may it last!

·
Premium Member
22,409 Posts
Glad you have a break in the weather. It should lift everyone's spirits and hopefully appetites too.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I'm hoping the chicken remains irresistible. Sending you hugs and love from here.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts