Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poppy’s test results are now in, and there is no real improvement, so we are dealing with chronic liver failure. It was the most probable outcome, but one always hopes for another small miracle. Some elements are now within normal range, but others, including those from the bile acid stim test, are very high. The vet reckons the diarrhoea she has had recently could be because of her liver or could be sensitive tummy, so we will try a few days of the paste and hope for improvement. He also recommends reducing the steroids fractionally, which I am hoping will help reduce the side effects. So no worse, but not as much better as I had hoped…

But, as he said, she is very happy, and that is the most important thing.

It all started here: Poppy still unwell
and continued here: Poppy liver failure - goodish news

·
Premium Member
6,270 Posts
As I say Love them and let them live their best lives it's all you can do.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
As I say Love them and let them live their best lives it's all you can do.
I'm so sorry, for you and Poppy. I had hoped it was a temporary health issue that resolved.

By chronic does this mean you can manage it?

Reactions: Fenris-wolf and fjm

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am hoping we can manage it for a reasonable length of time. It is a balancing act - the liver regenerates, so if the regeneration can keep pace with deterioration, and anything that causes further damage avoided, she could have a good quality of life for quite a long time. She has been far better in the last few months than I would have dared to hope back in January, so we will keep on keeping on. She is 11 years old, which is not old for a toy but means she has already had a good life. I will do everything I can to make however long we have, whether it be months or years, equally happy. Time enough to grieve when there is no more to be done. But some sadness is inevitable - she has been so well that I hoped for more positive news.

·
Premium Member
22,865 Posts
Aww I am sorry that you didn't have better findings, but happy nothing is truly worse. I hope she has many many happy days, weeks, months...Your attitude about it is loving and special.

Reactions: fjm and Dogs4Life

·
Registered
171 Posts
(Hugs) It‘s really sad that it’s chronic, but I’m glad to hear she’s happy, and nothing’s gotten worse. May you and Poppy have many, many more days of happiness together.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Aw.... I was hoping for a more promising diagnosis. I am sorry. At least you know now, I guess.

Poor Poppy. Luckily, all she really knows is you give her lots of very special foods many times a day and are very careful about making sure meals are on time!

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Poppy is blessed to have you and you are blessed to have Poppy. I'm sorry it's not the news you wanted to hear. I know that the two of you will continue your lives together giving and receiving love. Tell Poppy Click loves her. Gentle hugs.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this. I was really hoping for the best news, but I'm so happy that Poppy has you as her owner and you have done the best for her, and that she is very happy. Please tell her we love her and to be happy and strong💗

1 - 20 of 40 Posts