Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may remeber from a previous post of mine, Poppy has an inverted vulva and the recommended first step is to let her have her first heat to see if it will self correct. I am planning on getting her spayed after her heat and the vulva swelling has went down to see if it self corrected. There is a time frame to wait but right now I don't remember and can't quickly find it online so I'll have to research it again.

Anyway, what are your suggestions for dealing with Poppy's heat.

I know and will keep her under lock and key while she is in heat, average seems to be 21 days, is that correct?

I remember someone posting that pull-ups work great, Poppy weighs around 40 pounds, would I base the size on her weight?

What do you suggest as an explaniation for my 6 year old son? Poppy will not be getting in his bed to wake him up in the morning during her cycle and he will wonder why along with why she is wearing pull-ups. He is very inquisitive, but come on he's 6, got an easy explaination for me?

What else should I expect?

The main bummer with this is that she is going to miss her last two weeks of beginner obedence class, but hopefully she will be able to test for her CGC in a little over 3 weeks, well hopefully.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Yes, her heat will be about 21 days. You will find that when she is most fertile, her flow will be a lot less, so from about ten days on, her blood will be lighter and she will be FERTILE with a capital F, so for heaven's sake be careful.

We just use men's underwear with a lightdays long in them, and pin them up over the tail. Cheaper than pull ups and just as effective. Men's underwear are heavier and thicker than ours, so they withstand the abuse of the pinning much better.

As for what to tell your son....hmmmm...maybe just that you think she looks cute in these pants and you don't want her to have babies?? He doesn't need to know moore than that. I hope after having to go through this that it solves Poppy's problem.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
That's a tricky thing to explain to a little boy. I like Arreau's idea of saying something about not wanting her to have puppies.

·
Registered
440 Posts
LOL, can you send your little boy to summer camp for a month?
or maybe just tell him that your adorable little girl is going to eat his all his icecream over the next month if she doesn't wear her 'super girl' undies! LOL
oh to have small children... good luck!

not to be a pain in the butt- however your dilemma is exactly why my Aunt talked me into getting a boy when I got Ocsi & I was so happy to adopt Fallie after her litter of puppies & spay surgery!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Silly question LOL - but... does your boy ever watches "Animal Planet" LOL

My kids were always crazy about animals and watched those anymal shows like crazy - so by 6 both of them certainly did not need any explanation about "birds and the bees" LMAO

It is such a natural thing - why making a taboo about it ????

"Poppy is in a "heat". That is when bitches can have puppies and we do not want any , so she is going to wear "protection" for a while. " What is so difficult about that :rolffleyes:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
"Poppy is in a "heat". That is when bitches can have puppies and we do not want any , so she is going to wear "protection" for a while. " What is so difficult about that :rolffleyes:
I think that sounds like a good explanation. He's 6, he should be okay with that. Although I'd probably say "girl dogs" rather then bitches!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
LOL - I used a "bitch" on purpose since as soon as you mention "girl" that would make him wonder more LMAO "Why "girl"-dogs have a heat and boys don't"

If not a bitch - than maybe "females" - LOL The more matter-of factually the things are presented and in biological terms and without connection to humans (girl is a human child - not a dog) the easier it is for kids to just accept it as a biological fact - which it is ;).

·
Registered
12 Posts
My daughter is 6 and my son is 5. We were watching a girl that came into heat. I explained to them that just like mommy has her special mommy time each month that doggy girls also get it. (With a deployed husband, there's not a whole lot of mommy privacy even when you try).And my daughter said, ah is that because they are mammals too?
My kids love animal planet! We've been very up front about reproductive parts and anatomy as someone said above, if you don't make it an issue, it doesn't become one. There's really no difference between a tongue, finger, or other part unless you make one. (Sorry went off on a tangent there.)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input. This is the conversation we had. Me-For the next few weeks Poppy will not be able to get up in your bed to wake you up, we will have to keep her on a leash, not let her out in the backyard to roam and we need to be more gentle with her. L-Why? Me-Well she is in heat, it is a time when she could get pregnant and we don't want that. L- Is she going to have babies (we have pregant family members so he knows what that means). Me-No, that is why we will need to keep her on a leash, we don't want her to have puppies. L-but I want her to have puppies. Me-no we don't want puppies if we ever decide to have another puppy we will get it from someone just like we did Poppy. L-OK

Went well, nuff said.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would just rather not risk a possible mess with her up in his bed. She doesn't sleep there at night just wakes him up in the morning. I've never been through a female in heat and am not sure how messy things might get. I do have her some underwear and I'm preparing myself for things to be on the heavier side. If I see its pretty easy to manage, she will more than likely still wake him up, but I would rather prepare him for her not to.

For those of you who are responsible breeders and go through this often, those of us who normally don't really appreciate your time and dedication to providing us wonderful puppies:)

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Thanks for all the input. This is the conversation we had. Me-For the next few weeks Poppy will not be able to get up in your bed to wake you up, we will have to keep her on a leash, not let her out in the backyard to roam and we need to be more gentle with her. L-Why? Me-Well she is in heat, it is a time when she could get pregnant and we don't want that. L- Is she going to have babies (we have pregant family members so he knows what that means). Me-No, that is why we will need to keep her on a leash, we don't want her to have puppies. L-but I want her to have puppies. Me-no we don't want puppies if we ever decide to have another puppy we will get it from someone just like we did Poppy. L-OK

Went well, nuff said.
There youy go. Easy as pie!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Followed Arreau's suggestion and used underwear, well boys not men's and I cut a hole for her tail. Here are some pics. She really does not like them at this point, but maybe she will get used to them in a day or two.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I would just rather not risk a possible mess with her up in his bed. She doesn't sleep there at night just wakes him up in the morning. I've never been through a female in heat and am not sure how messy things might get. I do have her some underwear and I'm preparing myself for things to be on the heavier side. If I see its pretty easy to manage, she will more than likely still wake him up, but I would rather prepare him for her not to.

For those of you who are responsible breeders and go through this often, those of us who normally don't really appreciate your time and dedication to providing us wonderful puppies:)
even a 'heavy' heat for dogs is the odd drip of blood. Most keep them selves pretty darn clean, and they'll just leave a spot when they sit, or where they lay down (though if theyr'e laying down they're usually keeping it clean)

With pants on there's not even gonna be the drips, I really wouldn't worry about her going to wake him in the mornings it's not like she'll sit there for hours and get a spot of blood under her!! :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After dealing with it for 2 days, I realize its not as bad as I thought and there should not be an issue with her waking him up with her pants on, which is great! I hope things continue at the same rate they presently are until her heat is done.

thanks for all the info

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well we're almost a week into it and I noticed today when I wiped her that it was less red and maybe a little yellowish, but not bright yellow, does this signify anything, does it mean its her most fertil period and she may be half done? She is also engorged more than I expected, does this make it painful for her?

Thanks for sharing you vast knowledge with me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts