Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

im new to this site and hoping there are individuals out there who can offer some advice / guidance.

Recently over the last few weeks, once in every 4-5 days Ralphy (my toy poodle) stops eating his food during the day from morning until about 7pm, during this time you can hear his stomach continuously grumbling. The majority of the time he goes in the garden and will graze on grass throughout the day, he will then throw up. During this period of unwellness he is lethargic and just relaxes in his bed. As mentioned above, come the evening around 7pm he will then eat some of his food.

I can now confidently predict when he is going to have one of these days simply by when his stomach is continuously grumbling in the morning (as was the case today). This is becoming a regular occurrence of every circa 5 days.

I wrote to my vets and their response was,

"Thank you for the email. By the sound of the symptoms I am suspicious of a condition called bilious vomiting syndrome, it happens when the stomach is emptied for a prolonged period of time, however it could be a secondary condition. Toy Poodles often are very fussy eaters and some dogs would refuse food if there are changes in the environment/ management / daily routine. I would first of all look into his diet and routine, have there been changes that could account for the period he's been showing symptoms. Also to consider ruling out endoparasites with broad spectrum worming product. If there isn't anything you could pinpoint to, we could offer you a phone call consultation to discuss investigation/ treatment options, this service is provided at a cost of £30. "

In my opinion, I do not believe Ralphy had bilious vomiting syndrome due to the fact he always eats his food throughout the day for the 4 days prior to him being unwell, he also has tails.com kibble out for him so he can snack throughout the night if he so wishes. Ralphy is almost 2 years old and is / has been fed Lily Kitchen for most of his life.

In addition, there have been no changes to Ralphy's environment, management or daily routine.

I currently give Ralphy Panacur paste for dogs for working and Advantage flea protection for fleas.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks

Darren

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds like he has uncomfortable gas! My coworkers chihuahua gets it periodically, her tummy rumbles SO loud and she won’t eat. The cramping is painful and he is probably self medicating with grass to induce vomiting to try to make himself feel better. I’d ask the vet if you can try some Simethicone gas drops for dogs. My coworker spend $600 at the emergency vet because she was so worried and turns out it was just gas. If it persists, though, I’d have him examined.
Ps. I wouldn’t ever give a med meant for humans for this without consulting the vet 😊

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds like he has uncomfortable gas! My coworkers chihuahua gets it periodically, her tummy rumbles SO loud and she won’t eat. The cramping is painful and he is probably self medicating with grass to induce vomiting to try to make himself feel better. I’d ask the vet if you can try some Simethicone gas drops for dogs. My coworker spend $600 at the emergency vet because she was so worried and turns out it was just gas. If it persists, though, I’d have him examined.
Ps. I wouldn’t ever give a med meant for humans for this without consulting the vet 😊
Also just remembered - she switched her to a GI food that’s easier to digest and she doesn’t have symptoms as often anymore.

·
Super Moderator
5,223 Posts
My parents' chihuahua mix has identical symptoms, on the same predictable schedule, and was diagnosed with colitis. She will also be constipated during each bout, and diarrhea typically signals the end of it.

To me it sounds very similar to human IBS.

My last girl Gracie had bilious vomiting syndrome, and you're right - this does not sound like it at all.

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
I would try one of the gastro-sensitivity foods. Poppy used to suffer from something similar, although she usually wanted to eat grass all night. Royal Canin gastro sensitivity helped a lot. Since Poppy was diagnosed with liver failure (unlikely to be connected, so don't panic!) she has been on a strictly controlled diet and frequent small meals and has only had mild diarrhoea after getting into something she shouldn't, like grabbing a few bites of the cats' food. I suspect the glycerin in the soft treats the neighbours used to give her and perhaps a slightly too high (for her) fat content in her food of causing her problems, but it was very like IBS and the triggers probably vary from dog to dog.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Hi All,

im new to this site and hoping there are individuals out there who can offer some advice / guidance.

Recently over the last few weeks, once in every 4-5 days Ralphy (my toy poodle) stops eating his food during the day from morning until about 7pm, during this time you can hear his stomach continuously grumbling. The majority of the time he goes in the garden and will graze on grass throughout the day, he will then throw up. During this period of unwellness he is lethargic and just relaxes in his bed. As mentioned above, come the evening around 7pm he will then eat some of his food.

I can now confidently predict when he is going to have one of these days simply by when his stomach is continuously grumbling in the morning (as was the case today). This is becoming a regular occurrence of every circa 5 days.

I wrote to my vets and their response was,

"Thank you for the email. By the sound of the symptoms I am suspicious of a condition called bilious vomiting syndrome, it happens when the stomach is emptied for a prolonged period of time, however it could be a secondary condition. Toy Poodles often are very fussy eaters and some dogs would refuse food if there are changes in the environment/ management / daily routine. I would first of all look into his diet and routine, have there been changes that could account for the period he's been showing symptoms. Also to consider ruling out endoparasites with broad spectrum worming product. If there isn't anything you could pinpoint to, we could offer you a phone call consultation to discuss investigation/ treatment options, this service is provided at a cost of £30. "

In my opinion, I do not believe Ralphy had bilious vomiting syndrome due to the fact he always eats his food throughout the day for the 4 days prior to him being unwell, he also has tails.com kibble out for him so he can snack throughout the night if he so wishes. Ralphy is almost 2 years old and is / has been fed Lily Kitchen for most of his life.

In addition, there have been no changes to Ralphy's environment, management or daily routine.

I currently give Ralphy Panacur paste for dogs for working and Advantage flea protection for fleas.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks

Darren
This is exactly how our cairn terrier started. She would skip a meal, then two, throw up bile occasionally, eat some grass and her stomach gurgled at times. This went on on off for awhile. After much $ for tests the vet stated she could have cancer in her intestine (as test showed the lining was thickening in one area ) or it could be irritable or inflammatory bowel disease . The 2nd sounded better to me as the cancer would require more tests and more $. We decided to put her on a special diet of Science diet digestive care (regular formula) . To begin with we used only the canned and she ate well. I later added the dry to it and the dry would upset her stomach, but I would add water and soften it about an hour prior. Now she gets the soft dry with some canned. We have not had any further issues, unless someone sneaks her a hard treat or other food. It may be worth a try.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
My toy poodle female, Beckie, had the same issue when she was a puppy. I could tell she was uncomfortable and maybe even in pain.

She had a very sensitive stomach and still does, but to a lesser extent. So the problem was due to the food she was eating. I had to go by trial and error, until I found the right food. I also made sure to only give hypoallergenic treats.

At first, maybe for 1 year, I gave her hypoallergenic food from the vet. Then I tried commercial brands with limited ingredient, made for sensitive stomach. Right now Beckie is on Purina Pro plan sensitive stomach - salmon. Salmon often causes less problems in dogs with gastric issues. She has been on it for many months and is doing well.

As for treats, I don’t buy from the vet anymore but when I find one that works, I stick to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts