Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow morning he goes for "the surgery" ... He's going in male and coming back sexless. LOL!!!

Wish us luck, we are hoping for a quick and painless recovery.
:eek:

Jehn

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Congrats! I have seen countless neuters performed and its only a 15 to 20 minute procedure and male generally go home the same day like nothings ever happened!

Don't think of it as de-sexing he is still a male dog he just can't make babies! Yay :p

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha.. Well as I see it, most poodles aren't extremely masculine looking anyhow. He is a beautiful dog, with or without those massive testes.. :p

Although I don't have any other dogs and don't plan to, it just feels right to neuter him. I'd hate to have him father a litter at the off-leash area or get out of the yard or something. You just never know...

..And although he is not an agressive dog, I am sort of hoping it tones down the barking - even just a bit.

I have a good, experienced veterinarian who has been seeing Bauer since we got him in Feb '07 so I'm not concerned about the procedure... I just don't want him to be mad at me!!!

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Let us know how it goes... at this tiem we have no plan for moose he just turned 1. He does not bark at people or animals unless he wants to play or they are in his 'space' and they are new.... he's also a big wimp so w/out his manhood he may turn into a real real real real big sissy.

:)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything went great yesterday, Bauer was pretty groggy when I picked him up and walked face-first into the glass door on the way out.. :eek: He was fine, just a little confused I think. He was starving so after the 1 hour time period we were not supposed to feed him we gave him a bit of food, which he scarfed down. He was tired all day yesterday so we just kept him close to us. The incision looks like it's healing well, looks like there is a bit of swelling in the sack but I was told that may happen. He has not been licking at all. He doesn't seem uncomfortable, and I was relieved to get there and have him come over to say hello... I thought for sure he'd snub me for chopping off his... you know!!

Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know he is doing well.

Todd, we were not going to neuter Bauer at first but a couple of months ago we took him out to visit my parents' dog and they were fighting quite a bit. They were both unaltered and I wasn't sure which one was picking the fights... He has never done that with any other animal, he loves cats and he is soooo good with my daughter. He has always been an excessive barker though, and since we've moved to a newer neighborhood where the houses are closer together it has gotten much worse. I tried the citronella collar and the shock collar and he isn't bothered by either of them, if you can believe that!! We decided that we should probably just neuter him since we aren't going to breed him; he doesn't really need testicles. He is not a very masculine dog anyway, and the vet assured me it would likely not change his personality.

I do remember our male Giant Schnauzer growing up having a really wussy bark after being neutered though... haha! I'm hoping that doesn't happen to Bauer but if it does, no big deal. I love my dog, and if I wanted a tough looking dog I would have bought a Pit Bull!!!

I will keep you posted on whether or not the vet was right about personality, and if it helps with the barking!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just thought I'd post another quick update... Bauer is already back to his normal self, we are trying to keep him from running and jumping a lot for now but he is eating well and the incision is healing great. He doesn't even seem to notice he's missing a small portion of himself.. lol!! He's still barking a lot but suppose it will take a few days before all that testosterone is gone from his system. We just keep reminding him that he has no balls so there's no need to bark to ward anyone off anymore... LOL! No more worry that someone might take them while he's sleeping!! :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
Carlo and Sergio were both neutered at 16 weeks. Poodles are very territorial and generally will bark. I put one of the shock collars on before I used one and it hurt alot. (like a stun gun) so I bought the Citronella collar and it did not bother either one of them. The two Wiemeramers next door wear them and keep quiet but not Sergio and Carlo. I had to just train them by saying "Quiet" It is amazing how smart they are. When I do that they will softly say "wuff" and stop barking. I've learned to live with it because they are great guard dogs and even though they are gentle as lambs, they can scare someone with their barks. And they both have very deep and throaty barks.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Carlo and Sergio were both neutered at 16 weeks. Poodles are very territorial and generally will bark. I put one of the shock collars on before I used one and it hurt alot. (like a stun gun) so I bought the Citronella collar and it did not bother either one of them. The two Wiemeramers next door wear them and keep quiet but not Sergio and Carlo. I had to just train them by saying "Quiet" It is amazing how smart they are. When I do that they will softly say "wuff" and stop barking. I've learned to live with it because they are great guard dogs and even though they are gentle as lambs, they can scare someone with their barks. And they both have very deep and throaty barks.
Moose is 1yr/o now and NEVER barks. The only time he barks are when he hears a sound that he knows is someone at the front door or outside. Also when someone approaches the garage when he's out there he starts barking. I had some people over the other day 2 of which were new over here and 1 not.. Moose new the one and was having fun with him and getting pet but when another guy tried to pet him he snapped/barked and growled at him. So, to me this is good a stranger attempted to touch him I had no contact with this stranger he had never been over and was standing 10ft away then suddenly walked towards him tried to touch him. This acceptable to the rest of you? (Keep in mind this was at my house not in the park. In the park moose runs up to every stranger and plays with them. Also, I was right next to him and he could have thought it an attempt/attack on me.) I don't want to sound like I am justifying his barking or snapping at someone but in some cases it seems it would be acceptable no?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts