Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Captain, regardless of having just pooped outside, if he gets nervous, he poops. Last week, he pooped in the tub, today, he pooped on my linoleum in front of my front door when the mailman rang the bell. He's usually very good about letting me know he has to go, but it seems like if he gets hyped up, he can find some poop in there. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Short of putting a diaper on him, you mean?

I think if you could get him used to (and therefore less reactive) to those situations, he might grow out of it. You could have a friend ring the doorbell while you teach him to be calm when it happens (lots of praise and treats when he reacts the way you want him to). It might take a while and require more patience than you think you have, but I can't think of any other way to help him with his nervousness.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Jäger will pee when he meets a new dog for the first time. I think it's a submissive thing because he always stops and stands still and his tail goes down. Then he pees a little. Once he lets the new dog sniff him, his tail goes back up and he starts wagging and jumping around.

That's the only situation he does it in and I've noticed it's getting better as he grows and meets new dogs. I agree with Marion, maybe working to desensitize him to the situations that cause the reaction. Does he seem scared or excited?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think it's a submissive thing, because he will do the little tinkle thing when he meets a new dog. I think I'll try and do what Marian suggested. Have a friend ring the doorbell and praise him. Man, it is awful! And it seems once he starts to poop, he can't stop, not like a pee accident, when a loud NO can snap him out of it.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Poor thing!

I am not sure but I would not rule out him being overly submissive (just one of many things it could be). How does he act when you come home? Or when he is excited to get a treat or new toy? The only reason I ask is because he did it in the bathtub too...does this upset him? Is his poo really lose when he does it? Nerves usually hit the belly and the stool gets lose.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, turds. Not loose. When we get home, he is very excited, but no potty accidents of any sort. It seems like when someone new comes, or he gets VERY hyper (like going out for a walk) he will just poop. The other day I carried him out of the house to hold in his excitement until we were outside, and he was so happy to go for a walk, he just pooped in the driveway, which is fine, we are outside.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
When I managed a humane society in my former life, we'd have quite a few nervous poopers... sometimes when owners were surrendering their pet and we'd be walking them down the hallway, away from their parents, towards the kennels; they'd get really nervous and balk and poop would literally just fall from them... At other times, when we'd put the dogs up on the table for a vet exam, they'd lose control of their bowels and just poop (not loose, just poop)...

I also have witnessed many, many, many horses when nervous about going into a trailer, stall, whatever; will have insta-poop right on the threshold of what they're scared of/nervous about...

I don't know what to do to resolve it other than, as was mentioned, desensitization... I know he's not the only little guy with the problem, though!

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts