Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of this breeder?

I love the colors.

The application was impressively long but with some things that I am not sure why they would expect to get this. For example, asking for yearly reports from my vet? That would make sense with a guardian or co breeder but with a pet?

They have two litters at once

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
They don't appear to do anything with their dogs in regards to confo or performance, and they don't do all health testing (such as hips are not done). They have a fair number of litters a year and charge more for their standards than some show/performance breeders that spend the money to do all health testing (as well as the money spent to do the showing and/or performance) so to me they are just breeding for money which I don't personally like.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Good catch, Mysticrealm. I would definitely want to see proof of OFA hips on both parents! And personally, I prefer to buy from breeders who show in AKC conformation. But, this breeder does a lot of other things right. It sounds like the puppies are very lovingly raised, and I think the questions on the questionnaire are perfectly acceptable.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is what has me confused. They seem to make a big deal of their process of interviewing and the questions they ask are more extensive than any I have ever seen for a non co own situation. I have looked at maybe 10 puppy applications in the last few weeks from really good breeders. Honestly why do they expect to get yearly reports when my dog is 10? Then they show pictures of the dogs lounging around?

Assuming I go forward would look at hips, Thank you

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
That is what has me confused. They seem to make a big deal of their process of interviewing and the questions they ask are more extensive than any I have ever seen for a non co own situation. I have looked at maybe 10 puppy applications in the last few weeks from really good breeders. Honestly why do they expect to get yearly reports when my dog is 10? Then they show pictures of the dogs lounging around?

Assuming I go forward would look at hips, Thank you
I think they're just trying to weed out people who would have anything to hide. Most likely, you will want to share everything with your dog's breeder, anyway. My dog's breeders can't get me to shut up with brags, occasional questions, photos, etc.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think they're just trying to weed out people who would have anything to hide. Most likely, you will want to share everything with your dog's breeder, anyway. My dog's breeders can't get me to shut up with brags, occasional questions, photos, etc.

Lol My breeder is probably sick & tired of me. I’m surprised she hasn’t blocked my email yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No while I have that relationship with a couple of breeders I know, I only contacted my dog's breeder a few times since I got her. 24 hours after we arrived home she contacted me to make sure we arrived well and there may have been some food related emails the first week. Once to send her a picture of a particularly nice grooming when she was a year to show her how nicely puppy had grown. Then to let her know about the illness after she passed. She responded immediately with the appropriate comments each time.

I am happy to provide photographs if they ask, I would absolutely alert them to something potentially genetic that crops up so that it can be investigated but I do not want to feel that I am legally bound to do this after the dog becomes part of my family anymore than I feel I have to give my child's elementary school teacher a copy of his high school report card

As for weeding out crazy, a vet and groomer reference can do that better than getting references from your brother in law and his girlfriend

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Asking for yearly reports from a vet as part of a contractual obligation is way too controlling for a pet in my opinion.
I get that, but would any of us have a problem sharing that info? I personally would not, as I have taken exceptional care of my dogs and have nothing to hide. I really think the breeder is just throwing that in to weed people out, though.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I’d have a bad feeling about a breeder who demands I send them a yearly report. If they’re truly interested then they’d be more than welcome to call me up and ask. If they don’t trust me enough to answer honestly then they shouldn’t have sold me the puppy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
I get that, but would any of us have a problem sharing that info? I personally would not, as I have taken exceptional care of my dogs and have nothing to hide. I really think the breeder is just throwing that in to weed people out, though.
I wouldn’t either, except if I don’t have reason to go to the vet on a particular year, this would make me have to go and spend money unnecessarily. I don’t vaccinate yearly and I don’t use flea/tick medication unless necessary.

Some years I might go 5-6 times for one particular dog, and then not have to go for 2 years. That’s what would bother me.

Unless you have an aging or chronically ill dog, I don’t think mandatory annual visits are necessary.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I wouldn’t either, except if I don’t have reason to go to the vet on a particular year, this would make me have to go and spend money unnecessarily. I don’t vaccinate yearly and I don’t use flea/tick medication unless necessary.

Some years I might go 5-6 times for one particular dog, and then not have to go for 2 years. That’s what would bother me.

Unless you have an aging or chronically ill dog, I don’t think mandatory annual visits are necessary.
I don't think any responsible breeder would want you to vaccinate yearly or do flea meds if you don't need to! Frosty is coming up on a year (knock on wood) of not seeing the vet, a record in our household LOL

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I wonder if they are just trying to make sure their lines are healthy over the long term so they don't breed one of their dogs that is passing on some illness that doesn't show up until later?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
It strikes me as pretty controlling too...but if you like everything else, as Zooey mom pointed out, sharing information once a year might not be so bad.

Maybe she just wants to keep track of all her pups- which is not a bad thing, and doesn’t realize how it appears.

Just make sure there are no stipulations that the pup needs to have health care you don’t agree with.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
You can always negotiate changes to a contract. The breeder can refuse to sell to you, but if you make sensible, reasoned changes the breeder might agree with them. For example instead of vaccinations, you could do titration and/or vaccinations.

Reactions: kontiki

·
Premium Member
9,561 Posts
Like ZM, I would have no problem sharing an annual vet report. Buck has an annual wellness visit. That said, I would not buy a puppy from a breeder who doesn’t do comprehensive health testing or does not prove their dogs in anything.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
In a culture where 50% of marriages end in divorce, I am amazed that people are willing to enter into an agreement that gives the breeder substantial ongoing rights over the dog. People say that they are sure that the breeder will be reasonable. But the world is filled with people who think that they are very reasonable while those on the other side of an issue think that they are very unreasonable.

I think it is fine for a breeder to prohibit breeding and to take steps to enforce that (e.g. mandatory spay/neuter). But other than that, the poodle should belong to the buyer. If a breeder wants to politely ask for info about the dogs health or for a photo, that's fine. I love the idea of keeping a nice relationship with a breeder. But giving them contractual rights to receive vet reports? No! I do not want an ongoing contractual obligation to the breeder.

This breeder has a very hostile anti-buyer agreement. It definitely sounds like she is preparing for disagreements with the buyer and ready to take legal action against them. This attitude is very different from the breeder that is using Sam in her breeding program. She vets her buyers carefully, develops trust, and relies on developing a positive relationship with them. With this approach, she is successful in keeping in touch with almost all of her puppies.

The clause in the contract that I find most offensive is this: "Should the BUYER wish to relinquish possession of this animal for any reason, the dog is to be returned directly to the BREEDER without refund." This is not stated as an offer to help find the dog a new home. This is an insistence that she still has an ownership right in the dog. I am well aware that some breeders (and others) think that this is reasonable. But I don't. I would never sign such an agreement. If I pay $2,000 for a poodle, then the poodle belongs to me. And if I need to rehome the dog (for example, if I have a terminal illness or severe financial issues), then I will retain the right to choose the new home for my poodle. I do think that the breeder should be available to help, and to take the dog back if that is what the owner wants. The PooPerfect agreement is particularly onerous in that it goes on to talk about a fine of $2,500 if the buyer breaks the agreement, breeder's expense in repossessing the poodle to be paid by the buyer, required arbitration (so you can't sue the breeder), a release of liability (to protect the breeder), and all expenses of any arbitration to be paid by the buyer. And we are supposed to trust that this breeder is reasonable??? I don't think so. I would steer clear of PooPerfect just on the basis of their contract.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Yikes, this does sound troubling to me too. Perhaps the person is really picky about the homes her dog goes to and has unrealistic goals.

As strange as this sounds, I like to keep my breeder in my contact list. Why? I want to stay on their good side if I want to adopt another dog from her in the future. This is particularly true for Kit but Lucky’s breeder often text me on holidays. She really cares about her dogs. I update them on titles, training, Health, funny stories...etc. maybe I am the only one doing this. I really enjoy talking about the dogs and how happy they make me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts