Poodle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I typically take Nimbus to the dog park on a regular basis. When we're there, she will ALWAYS poop after running around for a short while. I reckon the physical activity encourages her to go. But when she's on leash, either on a walk or just out for a potty break, she will only poop if she REALLY has to go, and she'll spend at least ten minutes sniffing about and running back and forth at the end of her leash before she does it. This week we haven't really been to the park due to a lovely April snowstorm (Winter just had to have one last hurrah I guess) and I've only been getting her to poo every other day. She's gone as long as two and a half days without pooping before. It's not that she doesn't have to go, as if I brought her to the park every day, she'd go without issue, and she doesn't ever seem distressed, I'm just wondering what I can do to encourage her to go when we're not at the park, or if this is something I should worry about. I don't have a fenced yard, so I have to take her out on leash. I've tried taking her out on a long line, but even then, she still won't go unless I play with her first and get her to run around for 15-20 minutes.

·
Premium Member
15,365 Posts
Many dogs need some exercise to get things moving. I would try putting it on cue - every time she starts to poop, say your cue word, softly but clearly so as not to distract her, and reward her when she has finished. After enough repetitions the word and the act should become sufficiently linked in her mind for it to act as a trigger when she needs to go. Choose a word or words that rarely come up in conversation, but that you will be happy to call out in public - best to think these things out in advance!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Many dogs need some exercise to get things moving. I would try putting it on cue - every time she starts to poop, say your cue word, softly but clearly so as not to distract her, and reward her when she has finished. After enough repetitions the word and the act should become sufficiently linked in her mind for it to act as a trigger when she needs to go. Choose a word or words that rarely come up in conversation, but that you will be happy to call out in public - best to think these things out in advance!
Brilliant advice! I have done this with both Iris and now Poppy. When I did road trips I could always just pull over, tell Iris to go potty and she would pause a few seconds then go "oh, ok" and squat and do her thing. So convenient!

Put it on a cue and you willl always have success!

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
i was very unsuccessful at training this. of course i blamed the dog and sometimes thought of him as cueless. :aetsch:

Reactions: Mfmst
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.