Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My toy poodle has sporadically eaten his poop since we brought him home. He stops for a while, and then does it again. We had issues feeding him when we brought him home. The food we gave him was making him sick, so it was understandable then. But he's eating Primal & Stella Chewy now. He has far less stool and it's pretty solid.

We both walk him outdoors and let him go on a pad in the garage. We pick up the poop immediately.

Some days we find the poop on the pad. Last night he went during the night and I found some on the floor away from it and it didn't look eaten though it was obvious he brought it to that spot. This morning I left him in the garage alone and when I went back, he was chomping down.

I *have* been adding meat tenderizer to his food - a few shakes per meal. I tried feeding him pineapple and it upset his stomach, so that's out. He gets a bit of plain yogurt as a treat after meals, and I can't imagine he's nutritionally deficient given his food.

I also tried some of the suggested products, and they either didn't work, or upset his stomach.

I think the meat tenderizer was working, and it's entirely possible I didn't add enough, or forgot to add, over the last few days and perhaps that's why he was dining on it :(

My question... for 6.5 pound toy, how much should I put in his food? I found a post on a yorkie forum that said they were giving 1/2 teaspoon at a time. I don't put in that much. While it has no MSG, it does have a good amount of salt, and that can't be good for him. Can anyone tell me if that's the right amount?

I've been doing it for about 3-4 weeks, and he was neutered 2 weeks ago, and it seemed to have worked for a while. BUT, because he was on antibiotics and his stool got really soft, perhaps he couldn't pick it up. He finished them and his stool is starting to get more firm again.

Perhaps last night & this morning was an anomaly?

Thank you!

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
I don't know if this will help you or not. When I got my Babykins, she was almost a year old. She was a poop eater. She ate poop on the long drive home and poop when we walked in our neighborhood. I didn't expect this because our previous tpoo never did this. As soon as we realized it was a pattern - we didn't allow her any chance to eat poop.

We had to watch her like a hawk and she was always walked on a leash. We also taught her leave it (although if something is really enticing her "leave it" takes a few seconds to kick in). After awhile I noticed that she had no interest in the poop of other dogs - she sometimes will sniff but quickly moves on and never eats it. I think without have easy access to eat it, she learned that she is not to eat it.

I would keep your dog on a leash at all times for potty and watch carefully. Train "leave it". Hopefully you can break this habit.

Reactions: mary2e

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
When I got Cayenne at 15 months she would eat other dogs poop not her own, I picked up on it instantly, and the first thing she learned was DROP IT loud and clear in a demanding voice. I had her on a leash so could also pull her away. She never ate her own, now she will sometimes smell the other dogs, but walks away. That was my 1st dog to eat poop out of 8 toy poodles, so I was quite upset, especially 2 times I had to take it out of her mouth, Mom was no a happy camper at all

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
I hope she kicks this nasty habit. Maybe check with the vet on an appropriate dosage, if no one on PF has used the tenderizer trick. I heard about it on a call in radio program with a vet, but no dosage mentioned. My dog eats plenty of disgusting things. I think the worst was a frog!!!

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Sometimes dogs will eat poop because of a particular food they ate that doesn’t get digested as much and still smells appetizing when it comes out (sorry, gross).

Beckie is 19 months old and had never eaten poop ever since I had her at 4 1/2 months old. About 2 months ago, I bought a new treat that was very dark and smelly and when she pooped, she tried to eat it. It really caught me by surprise.

At first I tried putting tobacco sauce on it (it worked in the past for other dogs) but she still kept trying to eat it. So I picked it up and made sure I watched her for the next few poops. I never bought this brand of treats again and I still watch her from time to time, to make sure she doesn’t pick the habit again. She never did it after that episode (fingers crossed).

Maybe something to look for in your dog too. Watching them and correcting the behavior really is the way to go in any case.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions. I do watch him carefully, but he has access to the house and his wee wee pads, though we do walk him outside daily.

That's the odd thing - mostly he leaves it if we're not watching him. I wonder if he was hungrier yesterday. Since he's getting high quality food, I doubt there's a deficiency, plus his vet said he's the picture of health. She suggested pineapple or meat tenderizer.

I added a bit more tenderizer to his food last night and he pooped unsupervised and it looked like he either left it alone, or picked it up and realized it didn't taste good.

My next try will be a half teaspoon of pumpkin with his meals.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I do watch him carefully, but he has access to the house and his wee wee pads, though we do walk him outside daily.

That's the odd thing - mostly he leaves it if we're not watching him. I wonder if he was hungrier yesterday. Since he's getting high quality food, I doubt there's a deficiency, plus his vet said he's the picture of health. She suggested pineapple or meat tenderizer.

I added a bit more tenderizer to his food last night and he pooped unsupervised and it looked like he either left it alone, or picked it up and realized it didn't taste good.

My next try will be a half teaspoon of pumpkin with his meals.
If you can get rid of the pee pee pads and make him go outside only, that would make your situation a lot better. He needs to be watched everytime. They don’t necessarily eat poop because of deficiencies, but because of taste and smell. Your food might even be the problem.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Cayenne has use pee pee pads ever since I got her. However, she did not eat her own, only other dogs. Does she try to eat other dogs poop, or just hers?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Mimi started eating her own poop when I got her at two months old.
She also had problems with digestion & diarrhea as well as picky about food.
I kept increasing the quality of her kibble and even bought her human grade frozen pre-cooked Food For Dogs.
The better the kibble the more she liked her poo and much of the commercial cooked food came out one end in pretty much the same way it went in, so she basically was trying to eat every meal twice
The only advice the vet gave me was to put her on Science Diet, basically sawdust, and she wasn’t gonna eat that even once.
I threw up my hands and started feeding her raw, settling on Frozen Primal Nuggets because it’s complete and occasionally freeze dried raw or a raw piece of meat now and then.
That solved her digestive issues.
She still had the poo eating habit, but it was easy to break since she was now absorbing all her nutrients.
I went back to rewardingly her generously everytime she poops. She gets one Charlie Bear for a pee and 3 of them for a poo. So now she comes and let’s me know when she makes a poop so she can trade up for something better.
However even a hundred Charlie Bears are no match for horse poop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I wonder if dosing with pancreatic enzymes might help with this, since assumedly post-digested stool involves product that's been through that process. GSDs can be low in pancreatic enzymes, and so can humans, and adding enzyme to meals could possibly help with this - if it's the root cause. And since knowing the root cause can be hard to impossible because our dogs can't talk, maybe it's worth it.

Should something like pancreatic enzymes not help, sending in samples to Dr. Dodds for nutritional evaluation may be very helpful. Or even do that first :). All the best to you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Newbie here, I wonder why some dog will eat anything that human give to them, not just poop, I have seen one of the viral videos which the dog eat the sand for no reason at all.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cayenne has use pee pee pads ever since I got her. However, she did not eat her own, only other dogs. Does she try to eat other dogs poop, or just hers?
Only his own. And not all the time. It stopped for a while and started up again in the last week or so. The food hasn't changed, but he was neutered 2.5 weeks ago.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mimi started eating her own poop when I got her at two months old.
She also had problems with digestion & diarrhea as well as picky about food.
I kept increasing the quality of her kibble and even bought her human grade frozen pre-cooked Food For Dogs.
The better the kibble the more she liked her poo and much of the commercial cooked food came out one end in pretty much the same way it went in, so she basically was trying to eat every meal twice
The only advice the vet gave me was to put her on Science Diet, basically sawdust, and she wasn’t gonna eat that even once.
I threw up my hands and started feeding her raw, settling on Frozen Primal Nuggets because it’s complete and occasionally freeze dried raw or a raw piece of meat now and then.
That solved her digestive issues.
She still had the poo eating habit, but it was easy to break since she was now absorbing all her nutrients.
I went back to rewardingly her generously everytime she poops. She gets one Charlie Bear for a pee and 3 of them for a poo. So now she comes and let’s me know when she makes a poop so she can trade up for something better.
However even a hundred Charlie Bears are no match for horse poop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since he's been on high quality freeze dried raw food, I don't think it's that.

But we do praise him heavily when he asks to either go to the garage to the pad, or outside for a walk. I had thought about giving him "puppy crack" AKA either Zukes or Bil Jac treats when he does the right thing, in addition to heavy praise.

Since we have a pad in the master bath (2nd floor) for him to use overnight, this rainy, chilly morning, he used the pad to pee, and then promptly pooped elsewhere in the bedroom (got a good yelling at too).

My husband will be off for Christmas week and we will be removing the pad from upstairs. We haven't done it because he has to get up at 5am and he needs his sleep.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
With Cayenne who uses the potty patch to pee and poop (she was 15 months when I got her and was not house broken). I kept treats in bowel on a stand above the potty patch. Evert she went I gave her a treat. I do not recall if you treat him for using the potty patch. Never had a problem with her picking that up quickly, but she then would eat the treat and jump back on the potty patch and lift her right foot up (she always does this when she pees) for another treat, now we do not get any treats. I gave her 2 treats for poop and 1 for pee

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I may have figured out the "cause."

I mentioned Zukes & Bil Jac treats and called them puppy crack because he goes nuts for them.

Well, I was saving them for training treats but gave him a few in one of those puzzle toys to keep him active and thinking. Perhaps he got a total of 6 per day starting the middle of last week - when he started eating his poop again.

Yesterday he did it again when my husband took his eyes off him for a minute.

We also gave him at least 6 of those treats, and perhaps 8 in the span of a few hours. One set was to reward him for asking to go to the pad in the garage at my dad's house.

Then he threw up.

A lightbulb went off. He is very sensitive to most of these training treats, particularly those with smoke or jerky flavor though these had neither. I would bet he wasn't digesting the few I gave him previously and his poop smelled just like them, even though I put meat tenderizer in it. The drive to eat those treats had to be greater than the bad taste of the poop. His poop also went from a solid dark brown to a softish light brown. The S&C and Primal he eats produces a solid stool - not mushy at all.

So now we're not giving him any at all. I'm sticking to milk bones and this other locally made peanut butter treat he seems to tolerate well.

Will keep you posted.

But now my issue is what the heck to give him for training treats. I'm going to try Primal treats which are only proteins with nothing else added. I only hope they're small and soft enough for him to eat them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts