Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I ran across this interesting and entertaining article:

"Once upon a time, poodles raced in the Iditarod. They weren’t half bad."

Recap: In the 1970s, a guy named John Suter saw his minipoo trying to keep up with him on his snowmobile, and thought, "Now there's a sled dog."

"By 1991, Suter had raced poofy poodles in hundreds of dog-sledding competitions... and four times completed the Iditarod with part-poodle teams..."

For me, the most interesting and delightful part of the article was this:

"Even today, however, Suter thinks he was onto something that might someday have led to a poodle victory: He’d raise the poodle puppies alongside huskies, and the poodles “copied them,” he said. Several generations of dogs in — about 80 black, white and brown poodles — he said he saw the dogs picking up a husky-like drive to dash through the snow, while retaining their poodle essence.

If you fall off the sled, the huskies will keep running down the trail,” said Suter... “The poodles will turn around to see if you’re there and do a U-turn and come pick you up.”

I love it.

·
Premium Member
9,622 Posts
I dunno about this. I did a husky sled outing in Wyoming and cannot fathom a team of poodles doing it. My guide showed me how he put the team together and I just can’t imagine a team of poodles. A lead dog, that gets no guff from behind. Drive, drive, no rewards, no conflicts between the pairs. No fun. Pee and defecate as they run. There are perils if you run into another team. Huskies get annoyed and I see a poodle party in the snow. The driver would really have to pick the right poodles!

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
I’ve read that story before and it’s really nice and interesting, but there is a reason why it never happened again after that. I think it was more of an experiment than anything else.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I carted with two of my poodles. The female was an unwilling participant. She moved just fast enough to keep from being dragged and just slow enough to keep from doing any actual pulling. She did look pretty, though. The male loved carting and really put his weight into the task at hand. His tail was wagging the whole time. He pulled a cart with our Airedale, carrying children. He also pulled a wagon with yard clippings... and geese manure. He really loved getting his working harness on and pulling. I do remember that it took him a while to learn to move out in front of me, instead of heeling.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It is no longer happening because the rules were changed and breeds other than husky types were banned from the Iditerod.

·
Super Moderator
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tiny Bella whispered in my ear.

"Those Iditarod Poodles got nothing on me."

"What do you mean?", I asked.

"Mom, she replied, "if you go sledding this winter with one of your grand-nieces, I'll get in the sled with you, and if you fall off, I'll hop off, turn around and make sure you're alright."

Poodles are so considerate.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Tiny Bella whispered in my ear.

"Those Iditarod Poodles got nothing on me."

"What do you mean?", I asked.

"Mom, she replied, "if you go sledding this winter with one of your grand-nieces, I'll get in the sled with you, and if you fall off, I'll hop off, turn around and make sure you're alright."

Poodles are so considerate.
Hahaha! That would also be Molly's attitude I think!

Reactions: Vita

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
they actually ran in 3 or 4 of the races before the rules were changed so only nordic breeds are allowed.

·
Registered
173 Posts
This is a fantastic story! More proof of poodle versatility. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts