Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have a problem with this. I heard that in the male dogs, some people shave a "tunnel" through the belly hair to avoid pee on coats. Also, I think I read on this very site that some of your male dogs pee on their underarms, etc. front legs, etc.

So, with the male dogs, will they continually get pee on their coats that you have to wipe every time they use the potty? Do female dogs get pee around the vulva area or they better for not getting pee on their coats?

What do you do about this?

Will poodles or any dogs always smell like pee then if you don't wipe them with a wash rag every single time they pee? Won't this get tiring?

Please educate me on this. Thanks!

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Moose goes on his front legs every now and then... it was bad for a bit but has gotten better.

We check his legs every time.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sammie never gets anything on him...but he was neutered at 4 months and doesn't lift his leg.

All poodles get their "sanitary area" shaved. Otherwise it would be a big mess, because the hair just keeps growing.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Sammie never gets anything on him...but he was neutered at 4 months and doesn't lift his leg.

All poodles get their "sanitary area" shaved. Otherwise it would be a big mess, because the hair just keeps growing.

See now when Eli pee'd like a puppy he always got his front legs. Now that Eli lift's he is good to go. Never any pee on his legs. Weird how that works for some but not all. lol

·
Registered
329 Posts
Depends on how windy it is outside. LOL!!! Sam doesn't lift his leg unless he is with another dog. He gets pee on himself alot but sometimes its just so windy out it sprays everywhere. Gross I know, I clean him up with baby wipes sometimes or spray a little dry shampoo on him and brush it out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the responses this seems like an issue with the male dogs, then. With a female squatting and not having a penis, I assume the bitches don't get pee on their legs.

Female dog owners, correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I own both bitches and dogs. It depends on the dog (meaning male) and of course bitches don't pee on themselves...they squot. They do however kill your grass where they pee if you don't water it after potty breaks. I love both genders however dogs (males) are more even tempered then bitches. Just like the typical female person. Bitches get hormonal and you have to deal with heat cycles.

There are plenty of things to consider when picking a gender. With Poodles in particular, your going to clean there rear occasionally as well. Your concern for pee on the legs from a dog as got me wondering how you would manage cleaning the rear. Are you actually considering getting a Poodle ??? I don't believe I have seen that you own a dog, right ???

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
ohhhh, your the one who want to litter box train a dog. Ok, now I know who you are. LOL Yep, and no dog yet. Answered my own ????'s hehehe

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have had both dogs and bitches. I think that the dogs are easier to house break because they always seem to want to pee the minute they get outside. I think the easiest way to train them is to keep them from going in the house at all in the first place. Once they understand, mistakes are rare. It seems to me that the girls sometimes will have to go from crate to yard several times before you get them to empty the bladder.

I'd much rather clean up a wet leg than a wet carpet! And yes, bitches are moodier of course ours is a collie and they're pretty sensitive. She still goes on the carpet sometimes for no apparent reason! Infuriating!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I shaved Cardi's area between his back legs and a little infront of his penis all the way to the skin. And I also shaved his penis so there is no hair on it. This way I don't have to wipe at all. He squats and he doesn't get urine all over his front legs either.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I dont' think the girls get pee on them or the boy - but I do clean the rear hee hee - can't let them on the furniture if they are not clean! lol I usually do it once a day though. all of it ! h aha

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bauer does it constantly. It drives me bonkers!! The only time he misses his front legs is when he lifts a leg, which isn't often. I have to keep his hair really short and brush him often, and he does stink if he doesn't get a rinse here and there. I never thought about using baby wipes, I'm going to try that.

As for the back door, he very rarely makes a mess since his poops are firm. I do make a point of taking the mini clippers (which are actually beard trimmers I picked up for about $12 at Wal-Mart!) to keep the hair around his bum short in between clippings.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My best friend uses baby wipes. My concern with the males is that, if they don't lift their leg, they get pee all over themselves because of their anatomy. Since I'm going to be training my dog to use an indoor litter box (as well as go outside), if he does lift his leg then that will get messy because the litter box (or pee pad)is low to the floor.

I don't see how I can win with a male dog in this situation. It seems as far as this issue, the females will be a lot cleaner.

Any more thoughts or experiences with this?

Also, my friend's chihuaha is neutered, but he still lifts his leg. When she takes him out, he has to stop and mark on several bushes/plants. So, from what I've read and experienced first hand so far, there is no guarantee that neutering will stop a dog from lifting his leg.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'd say it's a pretty rare thing to see a male not lift his leg. The vast majority of males that you see are neutered and I can't remember seeing a fully grown one that didn't lift his leg.

It's good you're not considering a pomeranian. They have a tendency to pee while walking on their front paws alone! You can see this on YouTube. I have a friend who's dog does this. It's HILARIOUS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96avOGo8DZ4

1 - 20 of 37 Posts