Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I play music professionally. I am a classical guitarist.

I was wondering if your poodle, or whatever type of dog you have, reacts in any way to music. Is there any personal experience you have with that? Is there perhaps some research on the topic?

I practice often, and I wonder how dogs react to music. Charlie sometimes leaves the room :) Maybe he doesn't like my playing, or the song, or maybe he likes to sit in silence sometimes?

He does not leave often, but will move to a more secluded spot especially when I practice late at night.

Any input or personal experience?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
There is a ton of research out there on dogs and music! Glad you posted this as it's always been an interest of mine too. :)

A friend of mine gave me two CD compilations--music for dogs. They seem to enjoy the music! My mother plays Classical music for her poodle when she's away and is convinced it relaxes him. Mine like the Dog CDs but they also love my 'native american' drumming CDs--the pieces incorporate a lot of animal sounds, like hawks, wolves howling, insects chirping, etc. so that might be why. (David & Steve Gordon: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Drum-Visions-Anniversary-Collection/dp/B000062Y9N[/ame])

"Through a Dog's Ear" - Music for dogs and everyone who loves 'em!
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/While-You-Are-Gone-Music/dp/B00004ZB78/ref=pd_sim_m_2[/ame]
What kind of music do dogs enjoy listening to? Science has the answer!
[The Animal Science researchers] found playing classic music with specific ambiance sound such as dog barking, human conversation and crow's crow inserted over the music is the most effective combination to relax dogs.
Music for Dogs (Music Therapy for Dogs, Relaxation Music for dogs)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I will have to see how Rory will react to my husband's music. He usually plays guitar for a few hours each evening to unwind. Depending on the day is, we may hear acoustic or loud rock on the electric...... I find it relaxing to hear.

Paula

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've noticed that Polo likes doo-***! He will stop what he is doing and wag his tail a little while listening. He doesn't like any kind of music that sounds like blaring, or trains. He's not a huge fan of classical, but if it's light, with soft vocals and light instrumental, he seems to really enjoy that!

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I played Brubeck Nocturnes by John Salmon to Sisko when he was a very young howling all night puppy and it helped. The conditioning stuck - if he's a bit antsy at bedtime because we've woken him up for the last chance pee trip - he'll settle right back down with a sigh as soon as it comes on, otherwise, Sisko doesn't seem to pay any attention We had a maine **** cat, Edgar or Eggie Bear who died a year ago, he loved music. He would yell at us until we followed him and he'd settle down in front of the stereo and when we put music on he'd stretch out his 23 lb body and bliss out. He loved jazz, hated marimbas, would listen through several albums and if he decided to up and leave it was always as the last track was going to end. My husband misses him dreadfully as he really was his listening partner

Attachments

Reactions: littlestitches

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I posted this before in Beau's 52-weeks thread. I play old-time clawhammer banjo, and every time I sit down for a little playtime, Beau happily curls up at my feet. I have no idea if it's the sound he likes, or if he just enjoys knowing that daddy is going to stay put for a while, so he can relax. Either way, he's my banjo buddy!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I posted this before in Beau's 52-weeks thread. I play old-time clawhammer banjo, and every time I sit down for a little playtime, Beau happily curls up at my feet. I have no idea if it's the sound he likes, or if he just enjoys knowing that daddy is going to stay put for a while, so he can relax. Either way, he's my banjo buddy!

Love this!

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Rowan...one of my puppy people sent me the CD you have to calm my male Whippet when it is thundering out. It does seem to help some, just like they claim on the cover.

My Dad was a professional country musician, and was an incredible, award winning fiddler. We had a blue male named Jester who HATED the fiddle. Every time my Dad would play at home, Jester would throw his head back, his mouth would turn into a perfect little circle and he would howl like there was no tomorrow. The very instant the fiddling stopped, he would stop howling and look all embarrassed.

·
Registered
248 Posts
We had a maine **** cat, Edgar or Eggie Bear who died a year ago, he loved music. He would yell at us until we followed him and he'd settle down in front of the stereo and when we put music on he'd stretch out his 23 lb body and bliss out. He loved jazz, hated marimbas, would listen through several albums and if he decided to up and leave it was always as the last track was going to end. My husband misses him dreadfully as he really was his listening partner
A little off the poodle subject, but my Aunt had a Maine **** too and I have to say they are the most AMAZING cats! That cat was seriously like a human trapped in an animal's body and had similarly strong opinions to yours and really made them known! She HATED to have the stereo on, but LOVED watching that old Cagney and Lacey TV show and would HOWL at my Aunt until she put it on (and knew the time and DAY OF THE WEEK it was going to be on!!) The cat originally had a different name as a kitten, but it was quickly changed to Cagney, after her favorite character (the cat's favorite, not my Aunt's) LOL :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My full bread mini poodle, Rogue, starts growling (It's a more quiet growl than when she's growling at a person or other dog) when I'm humming.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Really old thread, but I'll jump in. One of my Giant Schnauzers (Raven) used to howl along with the theme from "Final Jeopardy". She could be anywhere in the house, but when she heard that start up she would come running and howl along with it. She knew which commercials had dogs in them, and when she heard music for one of them she would come running. She loved TV, her favorites were anything with sheep and sheepdogs.

Brings up some good memories.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts