Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that kind of "in heat", I mean the "in heat" like it's over 100 degrees blazing weather. :flame:

It's so hot in the city that I can't take Ted out for a walk in the afternoon. I have to wait until 7 PM when the humidity lessens a bit, so that I can muster up the strength to move out with him in the heat. Unfortunately for many people in the tri-state area, the heat wave will continue all through this week. Good Lord... I can only imagine how the weather is in the South.

If it's ridiculously hot in your area this summer, how are you and your pets beating the heat?

I've been harassing Ted with the hose in our backyard. He may hate it, but it's better than seeing him pant constantly in the house. Meanwhile for the humans in the house, cold showers are our best friends. Thank God my father installed my AC in my room for me.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
AC is a great thing for in the house for both of you.

I am in Vermont and we are suffering through this too. My poodles like to be hosed down. We soak them and then let them hang out wet. This cools them the same way it cools us to be wet. We always leave a child's pool with water in it for them as well and a pail of fresh water for them to drink from that we keep in the shade under our covered porch (We have an exposed basement with a porch over it.) Sometimes we change the water out a few times a day to keep it fresh and cool.

Fortunately, we do not live in the city and have the option to go to the area ponds and lakes for a swim in the later afternoon.

I actually take my dogs into the house in the afternoon because it is cooler in here than it is outside.

Speaking of the South, I am flying to Georgia Thursday morning to join my daughter who lives there and we are driving back here to Vermont. I am NOT looking forward to stepping off of that plane in Atlanta!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Fortunately, we do not live in the city and have the option to go to the area ponds and lakes for a swim in the later afternoon.

Aaah, what I would give to live near water like that. *is jealous* I hope my friend that lives near the beach is enjoying it.

The nearest body of (clean!) water near me are about 15 minutes away by car, and those are just the beaches in Brooklyn.

I'm not too sure if Vermont experienced the Northeast blackout a few years ago. If so, and if this weather keeps up, we'll all be in the dark together. 0.o

I wish you well on your vacation! *is sending cool weather vibes your way*

·
Registered
276 Posts
it's pretty hot in HK at the moment. longer walks are definitely done before 9am or after 7pm. otherwise it's just very short walks during the day so mochi can do her business:p she appreciates it cause all she wants to do during the day is sit in front of the electric fan anyway!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
It's been miserable in TN!! It's horribly hot, humid, sticky, and just all together dreadful all day, every day. And July just started!! Ughh July and August are always the worst... Desmond hasn't been suffering too badly, though. I've bought him tons of new toys, we're playing around a lot inside (AC!! yay!). I'll take him on brief, brisk walks during the evening around the neighborhood, just to let him stretch his legs. But it's not long before we're both panting and have to drag our feet back home and get something cold to drink.

Maybe I'll take him swimming again this weekend before his bath :) that might be good for both of us.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
I saw at a Dog Show here in the UK that Easidri, the company making microfibre towels for dogs, are experimenting with cooling dog coats using the same fabric. The cloth stays moist, and holds a lot of water, so would continue to cool a dog for longer. Don't know how well they would work for poodles, but may be worth a try - www.easidri-sales.com

Here in the NW of England the weather has broken - soft, cool, mizzly rain, and temperatures around 68 - 70 degrees (I can hear the gasps of envy - now is the time to visit, and the exchange rate favours the dollar, too!). A hosepipe ban will be coming into force on Friday despite the rain - the reservoirs are very low after six unusually dry months. We are promised more warm weather (well, round here anything over 70 counts as warm!), but fortunately my stone built, tiled floor house stays cool enough for comfort. I do make a huge effort to walk the dogs before 7.30 am when it is really hot - much later and they don't want to come out of the shade. Our usual summer walks take in paddling in shallow rivers and streams or the sea - we are very, very lucky!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
it's pretty freaking hot here. fortunately we have lots of shade and the back door is open if the puppers want to come in or go out.
which is why i'm not hosing off the poof. she'd stay wet and then my bed would be wet.
i have been running the ac in the house a bit too.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
St. Louis is pretty hot and humid all summer - I have been trying to walk the dogs before 8 am or after 8 pm. Or else - I take them swimming.
Ditto for here!

I took TQ on a long walk at 6:30 the other morning and by the time we were getting back to the house by 7:45 it was already ridiculously hot and we were both glad to be home!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I keep the air conditioning set at 60 at the home and the groom shop. The dogs lay on the bare floors and I put little oscillating fans on the floor for them. They do all their running and playing at night with the flood lights on in the yard. They are crazy wild and then they go to bed with me

·
Registered
216 Posts
When it's hot at the agility shows, I use a little coat that you load with water, wring out and place on the dog. It really works. Without looking at the label, I think it is made by Ruffwear.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Its been so hot here lately and the humidex has been insane. I've taken Betty Jo and Jenny to the lake for a swim with us several times in the last few days and tried to let them get some exercise either in the ams before it gets too hot or in the evening. Otherwise they've been hanging out it the house with us were its cool. Of course they have been working on exercising themselves in here together lol. So I'm working on more training time in the house to burn off some energy.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yes, overnight low of 91, daytime high of 113! The pool water is so warm it's not the least refreshing to be in. Poor dogs are so antsy. We go out at about 6 am and play a little frisbee but it's really too hot to play for long. Then they sit in that nasty pool water for a while. They sleep all day long so in the evening they are full of energy and it's just too hot to do any kind of outdoor activity. Even walking is dangerous because pavements are so hot.

We're ready for a trip to the mountains!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Whew! I don't know how you deal with the heat in AZ!

In Texas, we had over 100 degree weather most of May and June. Now, we have some rain (Finally!) and it is hovering around 90. Feels almost cold out. LOL...I wish.

Ditto....short walks in either morning or after 9:00pm. It's too humid to go very far. We play lots of fetch in the house. Thank God for air conditioning. It must be miserable up north without it.

Maybe our friends in NZ can post some pictures of snow for us!

·
Registered
48 Posts
We deal with the heat be staying in the house with the AC. I am concerned about another drought in TN this year. My area hasn't had a drop of rain in almost a month.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
It's very hot where I live as well. Has been hovering around 40+ degrees celsius with the humidity, which I think is in the 90s in farenheit. The dogs are happy to go out for short walks, and thankfully by the time I'm getting uncomfortably hot, so are they. Unfortunately we do not have a yard for the dogs to play in, so I'll have to make the trip to the dog park sometime soon or Mitch might go bananas...although he doesn't handle the heat very well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Last summer when I was in AZ and NV I used Cool-it bandanas and ruffwear boots to protect their feet on hot pavement. We camped out one night and I soaked towels and put them on their elevated dog cots to sleep on. To keep a dog cool, it is best to just wet down the belly and sides and not the back along the spine. ruffwear makes something called a swamp cooler. I've been meaning to get one as service dog handlers in Fl swear by them. I will get one in the near future as I'm on the special pro purchasing plan and get everything 50% off.

Right now they are just staying in and only going out to potty. If I need to go out, I turn the A/C all the way up in the car and pointed towards the dog in the back. Since I've had the continental clip done on Taffy, she seems cooler but also more prone to getting a bit chilly too especially if the A/C is too high where we go. I didn't want to shave her all the way down as I didn't want to worry about her getting sun burns. I don't shave any of the other dogs, just strip their undercoat out as they all shed. More breeds with fur have coats that protect them from hot and cold that is why your not supposed to shave northern breeds either.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I had my Teddy in the city yesterday. We took a taxi from PABT to the office, but it had cooled off enough by 6:30pm that we could walk back. I work between 5th and Madison, so it's a bit of a hike on a hot day like we've had lately. The only reason I wanted to go in is because the A/C in my office is WAAAY cooler than the window units I have at home.

We're supposed to get thunderstorms tomorrow, so hopefully it will get this heat out of here!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had my Teddy in the city yesterday. We took a taxi from PABT to the office, but it had cooled off enough by 6:30pm that we could walk back. I work between 5th and Madison, so it's a bit of a hike on a hot day like we've had lately. The only reason I wanted to go in is because the A/C in my office is WAAAY cooler than the window units I have at home.

We're supposed to get thunderstorms tomorrow, so hopefully it will get this heat out of here!
I hope it's not a humid thunderstorm. Those are the worst. Hot, sticky, rainy, and smelly. =(

When my AC is on at night and I slip out of my room for something, the hot air in the hallway is just... ugh. I have to force Ted into my room so I don't have to see him panting like crazy at night.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We deal with the heat be staying in the house with the AC. I am concerned about another drought in TN this year. My area hasn't had a drop of rain in almost a month.
A drought? Oh man. That just sounds harsh. During those times, do the environmentalist agencies make you conserve water? In New York, they're making us conserve energy. How you make a human being conserve energy in blazing heat, I will never understand.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts