Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi l have a standard poodle called Bailey and he has hairy ears and hates having them plucked
Is there a powder or cream that would numb them so it doesn’t hurt him so much thanks

·
Registered
777 Posts
Welcome to you and Bailey.
About the ears, it may be less of hurt more of just general discomfort, so not sure if there is a cream that would numb them or not. But my vet said to only take small little clumps and you grab them then twist and then you pull that way you remove the hairs easier. Also I would see the vet if there is any sign of infection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to you and Bailey.
About the ears, it may be less of hurt more of just general discomfort, so not sure if there is a cream that would numb them or not. But my vet said to only take small little clumps and you grab them then twist and then you pull that way you remove the hairs easier. Also I would see the vet if there is any sign of infection.
Hi ok l will try

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
My dog absolutely hated having the hair plucked the first time when he was a puppy. He would scream bloody murder. But he became much less sensitive relatively quickly. Now I just check his ears weekly and put a little zymox in as an infection preventative and take out any stray hairs that are growing back. He doesn't mind anymore, though if one of his ears starts getting a bit enflamed he will become more sensitive and doesn't like me looking at it. So the sensitivity could have to do with an ear infection being present, and may improve if the ears are treated.

I use ear powder, and I like to show my dog exactly what I'm doing. He likes to inspect. If I pull out hair, I show it to him. If I'm cleaning wax, I show it to him and let him smell. He likes to know what I'm doing. I think it makes him a little more tolerant if it hurts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 2yo spoo doesn’t like me to brush out the poms on her feet but she loves to go to work with me so I make her let me brush them before we go to work in the morning

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Definitely use a grooming powder. I put a little in the ear and my fingers and pull out the hair in small increments. My guy wasn't crazy about it but I think its ok now as he will lay his head on my leg while I pull. Having the dryness from the powder helps it come out easier. It also important not to try and pull a glob out just tiny amounts. I now can use a blunt tweezer to pull but I didn't do that until he was good. I am no pro and can't say I'm doing it correct but its working. I also use zymox ear cleaner w/ hydrocortizone and wipe out his ears when I am finished.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I plucked my poodles ears and it caused an ear infection. Took him vets who said the plucking caused the infection & that I shouldn’t pluck as their ears can be very sensitive. Since then I’ve never plucked - I now use scissors to trim the ear hair, to prevent it growing long and I’ve never had any problems since. He doesn’t mind me cutting the hair with scissors, just have to ensure he stays still!

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I plucked my poodles ears and it caused an ear infection. Took him vets who said the plucking caused the infection & that I shouldn’t pluck as their ears can be very sensitive.
The trick is to not pluck too much. I don’t try to get all the hair out, just enough so hair can flow. I don’t do it often either, maybe every 6-8 weeks, as I’m afraid to cause an infection.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The trick is to not pluck too much. I don’t try to get all the hair out, just enough so hair can flow. I don’t do it often either, maybe every 6-8 weeks, as I’m afraid to cause an infection.
Thanks, I didn’t pluck much hair & only plucked a few times - I guess my boy just has sensitive ears. What I do now is trim the ear hair with scissors during each groom & that seems to be working fine for him :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts