Poodle Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

Registered
Phoebe Duck spoo, Frannie Jane pitt mix
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
My question to all those people would be, "why on earth wouldn't you get a poodle?!" Just keep coming back here to the forum whenever those naysayers get you down (or annoyed).

You'll find oodles of good, easy to follow training information on a wide variety of topics on Emily Larlham's YouTube channel, Kikopup: https://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup
Overheard yesterday at work...

Coworker#1-"I don't like poodles."
Coworker#2-"I don't like poodles either, but I like Phoebe. She's cute!"

At least the people we meet on our walks are nice. They all seem shocked that 1) she's a real poodle, 2) she's well behaved. It's the people that haven't met her yet that seem anti poodle.

Registered
I don't even think there are any standard poodles where I live. Everything is doodle this or that. My ex even started breeding New Foundland - poodle mixes, she calls them newfypoos. Whatever. So I get asked all the time what kind of doodle she is. I started out joking with people telling them she is a poodle doodle. Now I just inform them she is a stardard poodle.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I don't even think there are any standard poodles where I live. Everything is doodle this or that. My ex even started breeding New Foundland - poodle mixes, she calls them newfypoos. Whatever. So I get asked all the time what kind of doodle she is. I started out joking with people telling them she is a poodle doodle. Now I just inform them she is a stardard poodle.
There are two here. Phoebe and the one that just moved in a week ago with the other lady. I wound up going out of state to find a reputable breeder that fit my criteria. There aren't that many options in state. So not many poodles. Probably why I keep running into static. And shock... a real poodle?!? 馃槻

Registered
Joey is my first Poodle. He is a Standard. When my Vet came out for a Farm Call in the Spring, and gave the dogs their annual shots at the same time, my Vet said "I never saw you as a Poodle person". I don't think she meant it as a compliment. My past dogs were Labs, Dalmatians, adopted Mutts, Greyhound etc. I was a little offended but I don't think she was trying to be mean. I do still think about it though :(

Registered
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Joey is my first Poodle. He is a Standard. When my Vet came out for a Farm Call in the Spring, and gave the dogs their annual shots at the same time, my Vet said "I never saw you as a Poodle person". I don't think she meant it as a compliment. My past dogs were Labs, Dalmatians, adopted Mutts, Greyhound etc. I was a little offended but I don't think she was trying to be mean. I do still think about it though :(
I'm beginning to think we've all met that (at least) one person that looks down on poodles. All I can do is train Phoebe Duck and ask for advice here when needed. Eventually, they'll come around. Town is too small for people not to see us. I'm sorry your vet was not nice. Hopefully things are better now that she's gotten to know Joey.

Registered
I'm beginning to think we've all met that (at least) one person that looks down on poodles. All I can do is train Phoebe Duck and ask for advice here when needed. Eventually, they'll come around. Town is too small for people not to see us. I'm sorry your vet was not nice. Hopefully things are better now that she's gotten to know Joey.
Like a lot of people I think she just doesn't look at the Poodle as a real, worthwhile dog. Joey is awesome. I get many compliments on his excellent behavior on off leash walks. I have both of my dogs sit and stay until bicycles, other dogs, horseback riders etc go by. He won't be 3 until October. One of the best dogs I have ever had. Here's a secret. I only got a Poodle because I didn't want another dog with a bunch of hair floating around the house LOL Shhhh

Registered
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
Like a lot of people I think she just doesn't look at the Poodle as a real, worthwhile dog. Joey is awesome. I get many compliments on his excellent behavior on off leash walks. I have both of my dogs sit and stay until bicycles, other dogs, horseback riders etc go by. He won't be 3 until October. One of the best dogs I have ever had. Here's a secret. I only got a Poodle because I didn't want another dog with a bunch of hair floating around the house LOL Shhhh
I hate to admit it, but in a way, I'll be feeding into the stereotype of the poodle. I'm a City Girl that's known for dressing up regularly. I actually nearly didn't get my current job because I made the mistake of dressing in my best pinstripe suit (& stilettos) for the interview with one of the VP's. He thought it meant I was frivolous and overly concerned with fashion. I didn't know everyone else showed up in leggings and flats. And I like having a poodle that looks like a poodle. So... 馃檮馃し鈥嶁檧锔

But I'll second everything else you said. Hands down, one of the absolute best dogs ever!

61 - 68 of 68 Posts