Poodle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

Registered
Happy, Apricot Standard Superstar
@Happy'sDad what were you doing in C PA there? That's an awful lot of mess in that pic!
We were traveling through on our way back from Niagara Falls. I forget the name of the PA state park, but his is an old railroad trestle that was destroyed by a tornado more than 100 years ago. We camped at a nearby state park. A beautiful area.

Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
If you can't find any classes locally, then online classes are an option The Fenzi Dog Sports Academy has everything from on demand videos to six-week-long classes with one on one instructor feedback. Fenzi Dog Sports Academy - Home The next see week session starts on August 1st, and enrollment is open now.

Premium Member
You and Phoebe are going to be great ambassadors for poodledom and hurray for DH with his open mind! We've heard of a number of converts thru the years, my own husband being one also.

If you want some additional talking points for your audience this site is a very good one.
Home - Versatility In Poodles, Inc. : Versatility In Poodles, Inc. (vipoodle.org)

and the link to your conversation turners :)
Versatile Poodles - Versatility In Poodles, Inc. : Versatility In Poodles, Inc. (vipoodle.org)

馃惄 馃惄 馃惄 馃惄 馃惄 馃惄 馃惄 馃惄 馃惄 馃惄 馃惄

Poor saps, they just don't know what they're missing!

Registered
Side note: DH loves her. Absolutely loves her. But I had to convince him that they weren't sissy dogs first. He's a convert!
I get the same reactions here and I don't see any other poodles anywhere, but plenty of doodles all over the place. My husband is also a convert. We didn't really know too much about poodles when we started but we knew they were super smart and don't shed like other dogs which was a big priority as our previous dog shed fur like it was an olympic event. He absolutely loves Winnie and calls her 'my girl'. She has a very special bond with him and is definitely a daddy's girl. People often say to him 'why did you get that, it's not a 'proper' dog' and I just can't understand their mentality. What is a proper dog for a man? Maybe because she is a mini they say that and probably would be ok with him walking a standard. Just goes to show poodles are even smarter than some people!!!!

Registered
Phoebe Duck spoo, Frannie Jane pitt mix
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
We were traveling through on our way back from Niagara Falls. I forget the name of the PA state park, but his is an old railroad trestle that was destroyed by a tornado more than 100 years ago. We camped at a nearby state park. A beautiful area.
Kinzua Bridge state park per Google. About 2 hrs west of me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I get the same reactions here and I don't see any other poodles anywhere, but plenty of doodles all over the place. My husband is also a convert. We didn't really know too much about poodles when we started but we knew they were super smart and don't shed like other dogs which was a big priority as our previous dog shed fur like it was an olympic event. He absolutely loves Winnie and calls her 'my girl'. She has a very special bond with him and is definitely a daddy's girl. People often say to him 'why did you get that, it's not a 'proper' dog' and I just can't understand their mentality. What is a proper dog for a man? Maybe because she is a mini they say that and probably would be ok with him walking a standard. Just goes to show poodles are even smarter than some people!!!!
He knew nothing about the breed. I knew the basics, but had no personal experience. I knew they were smart, but I underestimated how fast she picks things up. I knew they required a lot of grooming, but didn't realize the sheer quantity of supplies that would go with that. (Silly me, I thought shampoo and clippers would be enough) my Bichon had never demanded so much, but she was also kept shaved.

He says she's my dog, not his. Plausible deniability. I convinced him to let me get a poodle by telling him that they are basically dobermans with a better haircut. He raised dobies years ago, so this touched a cord with him. We had looked at getting one, but it just never felt "right." Everything clicked with Phoebe.

Registered
He knew nothing about the breed. I knew the basics, but had no personal experience. I knew they were smart, but I underestimated how fast she picks things up. I knew they required a lot of grooming, but didn't realize the sheer quantity of supplies that would go with that. (Silly me, I thought shampoo and clippers would be enough) my Bichon had never demanded so much, but she was also kept shaved.

He says she's my dog, not his. Plausible deniability. I convinced him to let me get a poodle by telling him that they are basically dobermans with a better haircut. He raised dobies years ago, so this touched a cord with him. We had looked at getting one, but it just never felt "right." Everything clicked with Phoebe.
I get told she is my dog too. But probably because this way he gets away with not having to do 'everything' that I do with her and he can dip in and out as it suits. We are definitley surprised at just how clever she is. Not trick smart although she is that too but just the way she can pick up on any teeny tiny body language and predict our next moves. And she can pick up on words during our conversation so we often find ourselves spelling things out. He loves that she is that smart. I too underestimated the grooming. She has more shampoos and conditioners than I have 馃き.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
@WinnieThePoodle He is retired, so his only task is to make sure Ducky goes outside when needed, and doesn't annoy Frannie too much. Frannie is not pleased with us having another dog (although this isn't the first time), and she's acting the cranky old lady. I get to do all feeding, medicating, training, grooming, cleanup, and so on. I supplied him with a brand new bag of pb dog treats, so all he has to do is shake it and both dogs come running. She and I are going back out tonight. He's confiscated the bag for his own use, so I need another one to keep with her grooming supplies and for training. Hoping we meet nice people tonight. Vet clinic is tomorrow, so she'll get her boosters then. 11 wks today.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
You and Phoebe are going to be great ambassadors for poodledom and hurray for DH with his open mind! We've heard of a number of converts thru the years, my own husband being one also.

If you want some additional talking points for your audience this site is a very good one.
Home - Versatility In Poodles, Inc. : Versatility In Poodles, Inc. (vipoodle.org)

and the link to your conversation turners :)
Versatile Poodles - Versatility In Poodles, Inc. : Versatility In Poodles, Inc. (vipoodle.org)

馃惄 馃惄 馃惄 馃惄 馃惄 馃惄 馃惄 馃惄 馃惄 馃惄 馃惄

Poor saps, they just don't know what they're missing!
Somehow I missed this when I got up at 3am. 5 am? Whatever time the pup woke me up this morning to pee. She slept thru the night twice this week, so there's improvement!

I appreciate the links. Once she finishes her shots, we plan on going out to the park. So I'm sure we'll meet more people and dogs. The town is fairly small, so it won't be long before everyone knows there's a poodle on premises! 馃榿鉂ゐ煇

Registered
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I came home for lunch today to find DH proudly announcing that Phoebe had been helping him outside. She's now absolutely covered in sticky burrs. I guess I'll have "bonding time" tonight with her and the comb. I'm going to need more spray at this rate! Lol
Update on the sticky burrs. I spent 2 hrs combing them out last night. I found more this morning. 馃う鈥嶁檧锔忦煓

Super Moderator
TeknoPOP!
Rant incoming!

So I've taken Phoebe Duck out to a couple of places this week, just trying to get her used to new people and new places. And there aren't any poodle people here. At all. The only people that knew she was a poodle were the ladies at the optometrist. They said years ago there was an elderly couple that would walk their two poodles, but they're no longer around. Everyone else, and I mean, every single other person we've met, has asked "so is she something like a poodle?" Or "she's a doodle mix, right?" That one just makes me full-body cringe. Then I get the ignorant questions... Why would you get a dog like that? Aren't they one of the most aggressive breeds out there? Don't they bite a lot? ... Followed by opinions. "Don't put her in one of those sissy styles." "I just don't get those people that are into (fill in the blank about poodles, poodle cuts, or dog shows). Those people are (fill in the blank)." "Who cares about certificates/registration/extra training? As long as she comes when called." Why do you need puppy classes? She's smart enough to learn on her own. (There are lost or loose dogs that have to be tracked down everyday. But who cares about training them?)

Phoebe's been a perfect little lady everywhere she's gone this week. The optometrist ladies (the only ones that were familiar with poodles) told me to bring her by whenever I want, even just to say hi. But the rest of the people are getting to me. This is hound, labrador, pitt bull, and golden retriever country, with the occasional doodle for the daring. A LOT of byb around.

This is mostly just a rant. Call it culture clash. But even DH's family gave me some of those opinions and questions. Everyone agrees she's cute and adorable. And then they all ask "why on earth would you get a poodle?!?" Makes my eyelid twitch.

Side note: DH loves her. Absolutely loves her. But I had to convince him that they weren't sissy dogs first. He's a convert!
Wow, Im so sorry people are being jerks- are there any Dog sports communities you could link up with in the area? Like Agility, flyball, nosework, etc usually these are filled with good , positive people that love every dog :)

Reactions: Minie

Registered
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Wow, Im so sorry people are being jerks- are there any Dog sports communities you could link up with in the area? Like Agility, flyball, nosework, etc usually these are filled with good , positive people that love every dog :)
None local. I looked on the AKC website and they are all rather far. I haven't seen or heard of any others and I've been looking. We'll just have to do it the old fashioned way. Meeting them person by person. 馃檪

ETA: there are training courses and seminars for search and rescue, but those are either priced waaaaay out of my budget, or are for already trained dogs getting extra practice in. Flyball and agility look like they would be a blast to do!

Premium Member
Flyball and agility look like they would be a blast to do!
A caution on too much exercise, particularly repetitive, too soon. This affects bone growth and potential for injuries to the growth plates that can lead to early arthritis.
Build up slowly until after she's reached physical maturity, usually around one year, maybe a bit earlier.
APPROPRIATE EXERCISE 鈥 PUPPY CULTURE (shoppuppyculture.com)
Exercise Guidelines for Puppies (By Puppy Culture) 鈥 Inugami 鈥 Finnish Spitz

Skylar has posted elsewhere on some additional agility specifics, akin to "agility prep" for puppies still growing.
I used to teach agility, now I teach scentwork. Generally we took puppies approximately 8 months or older - but the puppies couldn't do all the training that older dogs that had finished growing could do. However there were plenty of skills the puppies could learn.

What shouldn't puppies do -1- repetitive jumping, especially at their competition jump height. However puppies could learn to go through the uprights with the pole sitting on the ground. Depending on the height of the dog we might put the jump bar at the lowest setting so dog's are stepping over a very low bar. It's okay if the dog jumped a few times but the handler can not ask the dog to jump, especially not to jump repeatedly. There is value for the dog understanding to go between the uprights that hold the jump bar. We can also introduce wings. Dog do need to jump properly - not all dogs do that naturally.

What shouldn't puppies do -2- twisting their body - this means no closing of the weave poles and no handling that requires dogs to make tight turns. However you can start the 2x2 method of weave poles - working towards closing them but keeping them far enough apart that the dog isn't curving around the poles.

Puppies can get a partial experience of jumping and weave poles - not the full experience. They will quickly complete their training when they are completely grown.

What can they learn - lots. How to stay at the start line (most sit but could be a stand or down). Hind end awareness where they learn to move their hind legs independently from the front legs. Many dogs need a lot of time to learn the teeter (some take to it immediately, can't predict) so puppies may spend a lot of time on wobble boards and low teeters which means repeating the basic 1 class. Puppies can learn to go through tunnels, A frame, Dog walk, pause table etc. plus lots of handling skills.

What is important is to take classes where the trainers understand how to keep puppies safe during training. Dogs should be carefully introduced to the various apparatuses

Registered
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
A caution on too much exercise, particularly repetitive, too soon. This affects bone growth and potential for injuries to the growth plates that can lead to early arthritis.
Build up slowly until after she's reached physical maturity, usually around one year, maybe a bit earlier.
APPROPRIATE EXERCISE 鈥 PUPPY CULTURE (shoppuppyculture.com)
Exercise Guidelines for Puppies (By Puppy Culture) 鈥 Inugami 鈥 Finnish Spitz

Skylar has posted elsewhere on some additional agility specifics, akin to "agility prep" for puppies still growing.
Good info, thank you, 馃檪 Right now, I'm letting her run when she feels like... Which is usually when I'm craving my coffee at 5am. She gets a plenty of forced naps due to DH being the daytime puppy sitter. I've been hiding treats and telling her to find them. Low impact sniff work, so to speak. It also helps her work on "sit/stay" since she has to give me time to hide it. I'm trying to keep her occupied mentally while I wait for her to catch up physically.

I would love to get her into agility. But I do realize it's a little bit too soon! 馃檪 I'm putting it on my "when she's bigger" wishlist. Walks, fetch, and tug, right now.

Registered
I would love to get her into agility. But I do realize it's a little bit too soon! 馃檪 I'm putting it on my "when she's bigger" wishlist
It is not too soon to start on agility--there are many things that can be worked on without jumping or anything else strenuous. Sports foundations classes teach the dog to walk on a narrow board (dogwalk), walk on tippy boards and surfaces (teeter), go through tunnels, back up, stop with two feet on/off a board (contacts), etc. etc. etc. You can teach your dog to recognize and follow directional cues and to work away from you. You can teach front and rear crosses. You can teach your dog to run a complete course but keep the jump bars on the ground so that puppy isn't actually jumping, just going between the standards. There is a great deal that a dog can be taught before they are old enough to do all of the actual obstacles.

Cautions are that the pup should not be asked to jump higher than his ankles; dog walk, teeters and A frame should be kept very low, and pup should not be taught weaves until older, because twisting through the weave poles is not good for growing bones. They can be started on 2x2 weaves as long as the poles are not too close together.

By all means go ahead and get started on agility training!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
It is not too soon to start on agility--there are many things that can be worked on without jumping or anything else strenuous. Sports foundations classes teach the dog to walk on a narrow board (dogwalk), walk on tippy boards and surfaces (teeter), go through tunnels, back up, stop with two feet on/off a board (contacts), etc. etc. etc. You can teach your dog to recognize and follow directional cues and to work away from you. You can teach front and rear crosses. You can teach your dog to run a complete course but keep the jump bars on the ground so that puppy isn't actually jumping, just going between the standards. There is a great deal that a dog can be taught before they are old enough to do all of the actual obstacles.

Cautions are that the pup should not be asked to jump higher than his ankles; dog walk, teeters and A frame should be kept very low, and pup should not be taught weaves until older, because twisting through the weave poles is not good for growing bones. They can be started on 2x2 weaves as long as the poles are not too close together.

By all means go ahead and get started on agility training!
I wonder, how would living on a hillside affect agility work? We have very little level ground here. Another reason this is wishlist. I don't want to hurt the little girl by accident!

Registered
I like to tell people how poodles are the only dog breed that was an issue of international negotiation because, as formidable hunting dogs, both France and Germany wanted to claime them as their national dog. The Germans got credit for the origin of the breed. France claimed the poolde as their national dog. Use a few hunting terms like 鈥淧oodles were famous for retrieving. flushing and pointing.鈥 That鈥檚 why they were so valued. PS I would like to see poodles be considered a sporting breed again.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts