Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

Registered
Phoebe Duck spoo, Frannie Jane pitt mix
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rant incoming!

So I've taken Phoebe Duck out to a couple of places this week, just trying to get her used to new people and new places. And there aren't any poodle people here. At all. The only people that knew she was a poodle were the ladies at the optometrist. They said years ago there was an elderly couple that would walk their two poodles, but they're no longer around. Everyone else, and I mean, every single other person we've met, has asked "so is she something like a poodle?" Or "she's a doodle mix, right?" That one just makes me full-body cringe. Then I get the ignorant questions... Why would you get a dog like that? Aren't they one of the most aggressive breeds out there? Don't they bite a lot? ... Followed by opinions. "Don't put her in one of those sissy styles." "I just don't get those people that are into (fill in the blank about poodles, poodle cuts, or dog shows). Those people are (fill in the blank)." "Who cares about certificates/registration/extra training? As long as she comes when called." Why do you need puppy classes? She's smart enough to learn on her own. (There are lost or loose dogs that have to be tracked down everyday. But who cares about training them?)

Phoebe's been a perfect little lady everywhere she's gone this week. The optometrist ladies (the only ones that were familiar with poodles) told me to bring her by whenever I want, even just to say hi. But the rest of the people are getting to me. This is hound, labrador, pitt bull, and golden retriever country, with the occasional doodle for the daring. A LOT of byb around.

This is mostly just a rant. Call it culture clash. But even DH's family gave me some of those opinions and questions. Everyone agrees she's cute and adorable. And then they all ask "why on earth would you get a poodle?!?" Makes my eyelid twitch.

Side note: DH loves her. Absolutely loves her. But I had to convince him that they weren't sissy dogs first. He's a convert!

Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
The answer to "why on earth would you get a poodle?!?" is "Because I wanted one.". :) Honestly, I'm amazed at how many people think that Poodles only come in toy and miniature sizes, and have never seen, or even heard of, a standard.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The answer to "why on earth would you get a poodle?!?" is "Because I wanted one.". :) Honestly, I'm amazed at how many people think that Poodles only come in toy and miniature sizes, and have never seen, or even heard of, a standard.
I got asked by my stepdaughter "why didn't you just get a dog for $50 at the shelter?" Because that wasn't the type of dog I wanted this time.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want your community to respect your poodle, then make her the best darn dog in the community. Train her well. Take her places and make them see what they're missing.

To the 'is she a doodle mix?' question, just reply, "No, she's not a lap dog. We wanted a duck retriever that would also be a family dog."
I'm trying. DH is onboard with taking her everywhere. Not onboard with puppy classes. He says I'm doing really well training her on my own and he's impressed with her so far. 馃し鈥嶁檧锔

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tell DH that poodle puppies can be perfect puppies and pull-out-your-hair adolescents and the stronger a base you get as a pup, the easier you will get through adolescence.

Source: Annie, who was practically perfect as a puppy and a real handful as an adolescent.
I keep reminding him that she's going to hit the "teenage years" real soon. Then I remind him of Fritz the Demon Dog. He shudders.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Personally I don鈥檛 care what people think , their opinion is of no importance , we had a terrier , and people told us all the time that he was a labradoodle ...Erm no

the world is full of plonkers !
It's not so much that I care about their opinion... It's more the ignorance and assumptions that gets me. And I wish I could use that term at work! 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tell DH that poodle puppies can be perfect puppies and pull-out-your-hair adolescents and the stronger a base you get as a pup, the easier you will get through adolescence.

Source: Annie, who was practically perfect as a puppy and a real handful as an adolescent.
He says Annie is making up stories and I should keep Phoebe away from her bad influence. We don't want Annie teaching her how to escape leashes!

Registered
He says Annie is making up stories and I should keep Phoebe away from her bad influence. We don't want Annie teaching her how to escape leashes!
I leave him this 18 page long support group thread to peruse... :ROFLMAO:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I leave him this 18 page long support group thread to peruse... :ROFLMAO:
I do believe he is in Denial! I'm expecting her to turn into He77 on Paws in about 3 months time.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@For Want of Poodle I started reading that thread. I started laughing because I can totally see her doing all that! As long as I don't wind up with destroyed furniture or a dog fight with Frannie... I think we'll survive. 馃榿 DH might lose his mind... But P.Duck and I should make it thru ok. The house motto is "adapt or die."
Honestly, the dog fight or destroyed couch are my only two big worries. Frannie can be scary, even if she is getting up there in age.

Registered
Hang in there!

I've gotten some of the comments about people not liking the show cuts. I just laugh it off and tell them that's only at shows and the dogs get clipped down as soon as they finish showing. I also explain that the shaved face and feet are the most practical way to keep them because the hair is like velcro and will collect mud and seeds and burrs on their feet if not shaved.

Kids tend to adore poodles. I love how their faces light up when they see you on walks. They have seen them on TV but maybe never in person.

I'm sure Phoebe will have plenty of converts in no time. My dad is one of those men that doesn't like girly things but he adores Misha. Poodle personalities are infectious. And they won't have any questions about why you went through training when they see how well she behaves.

Registered
I'm still confused as to how a poodle can be both a "sissy dog" and "really aggressive" at the same time. There's a lack of logic there...
This has always confused me as well! I've had multiple people come up to me to tell me how aggressive (standard) poodles are and how many bite. I mean, there are bad eggs in every breed, but poodles don't crack the top 20 for sketchy breeds in my experience.

I'm sorry you have so many rude people around you. Hopefully you and Phoebe can show them what they're missing out on. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hang in there!

I've gotten some of the comments about people not liking the show cuts. I just laugh it off and tell them that's only at shows and the dogs get clipped down as soon as they finish showing. I also explain that the shaved face and feet are the most practical way to keep them because the hair is like velcro and will collect mud and seeds and burrs on their feet if not shaved.

Kids tend to adore poodles. I love how their faces light up when they see you on walks. They have seen them on TV but maybe never in person.

I'm sure Phoebe will have plenty of converts in no time. My dad is one of those men that doesn't like girly things but he adores Misha. Poodle personalities are infectious. And they won't have any questions about why you went through training when they see how well she behaves.
I think whatever style she winds up with will be largely determined by the weather and whatever mess she's getting into at that time. I came home for lunch today to find DH proudly announcing that Phoebe had been helping him outside. She's now absolutely covered in sticky burrs. I guess I'll have "bonding time" tonight with her and the comb. I'm going to need more spray at this rate! Lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This has always confused me as well! I've had multiple people come up to me to tell me how aggressive (standard) poodles are and how many bite. I mean, there are bad eggs in every breed, but poodles don't crack the top 20 for sketchy breeds in my experience.

I'm sorry you have so many rude people around you. Hopefully you and Phoebe can show them what they're missing out on. :)
Ironically, they don't even blink at Frannie the Pitt. But the poodle gets the side eye. I tell them that if you don't train and socialize the dog, she will be skittish, scared, and react in fear. I figure that holds true for all dogs. "Oooooh. Ok."

1 - 20 of 68 Posts