Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...since having two poodles i've been wondering... Do those of you with more than one standard (or even minis/toys if it applies) notice that they bond with eachother more than any other dog?

I wonder if they recognize being the same breed...I'm kind of starting to think maybe they do.

Vega and Dodger are just impossible to seperate! They do everything together..they practically sleep on top of one another..if Dodger is playing with the gsd puppy and she whines sometimes when the pup bites too hard on her ears then Vega will run over and see what's going on and start sniffing Dodgers ear as if to see if she's okay.

I've been around a lot of dogs and I have never in my life seen dogs bond with eachother as much as these two have! I can never just take one of the poodles with me anywhere..I have to take both or the other will become a nervous wreck.

When Dodger was getting spayed Vega paced the house all night wimpering and whining, he would maybe be still and lie down for a few minutes and then he would be up and pacing again..he'd sniff her bed and the crate and all the places she had been but would not be still. It was heartbreaking to watch.

So i'm wondering if anyone else has an experience like this.. I have other dogs and while the poodles will play and get along with them perfectly fine they dont seem to bond as well. Also the poodles will share a bowl of dog food but they will not share with any other dog only eachother.

Attachments

·
Registered
875 Posts
my poodles are breedist lol as are our shelties( although they are getting better) the poodles will gang up on an outsider :( not meaning an outside dog, just one of another breed. actually I have noticed that all of my breeds do this, the Borzoi won't really play with the poodles, the poodles won't play with the shelties, and the shelties think the poodles are sheep :)

My boxer mix, HATES german shepherds and huskies she doesnt appreciate their energy level and gets a little snippy with them after awhile when we used to go to the dog park she would completly ignore "pointy eared breeds"
but shes fine with the flopy eared ones ( great danes are her favorite)

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think it happens in all breeds I remember at training the 2 american eskimos went together the labs and retrievers went together and my poor Mastiff was on his own LOL
Dog parks if you watch it happens as well

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hmm, I would say no. I have one of each size living together and they play with all of my other dogs. We do have bonded dogs though, my moms Mini and her Shih Tzu are, my Pit Bull and Rat Terrier mix are. I do think it has to do with our pack order, we can bring in just about any dog and everyone it good, we rarely have issues with our permanent dogs not getting along with the fosters/borders. Its usually the other way around.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have 3 Boston Terriers. They treat the poodle like he's an outsider. It may be that only been around for a couple of months or that he still has a lot of puppy in him and irritates the more mature dogs. I don't know.
My smallest and most subserviant Boston is even leary of the poodle. Lola, my little Boston, who loves to snuggle is resisting Pedey's affection. I do think that when they get used to each other, they'll be good buddies though.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I couldn't tell ya, since I only have one dog, a boxer mix, and at work the dogs aren't really suppose to come in contact with each other.

But what I do know is, Aidan, your dogs are so flippin cute and you take the best pictures of them!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Fantastic photos!

I don't have an answer, but had to say that. :)

And I hope to take Bella to poodle club soon so we'll find out. She's an only dog so she's pretty happy when any breed comes to play.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Flip doesn't seem to care about other breeds, he loves pretty much everyone.

However I had a greyhound that would ignore other dogs completely, unless it was a greyhound. Snot.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I mentioned something about this topic on another thread so sorry it's this is repetitive; In our puppy class, Rogan really had no use for the Labs or GSD's all he wants to do is play with the Doodles (there are no other poodles in the class)... our trainer mentioned it has to do with what's familiar to them... they remind them of their littermates growing up and they're used to playing a certain way together. I think it's cool :) Rogan is our only pet, so it's good for him to get healthy playtime with other dogs that are kinda like him. :thumb:
BTW Aidan, your poodles are beautiful!!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
We have been out on walks with our poodles on leashes and had other people approaching us with their dogs also on leashes and their dogs of other breeds would look at our poodles as if to say "What in the heck might you be? , you don't look or act or even smell of our species". "You are much to pretty/handsome to be a dog".

·
Registered
861 Posts
We have been out on walks with our poodles on leashes and had other people approaching us with their dogs also on leashes and their dogs of other breeds would look at our poodles as if to say "What in the heck might you be? , you don't look or act or even smell of our species". "You are much to pretty/handsome to be a dog".
You make a good point about the smell. I have a friend who's dog only discriminates against poodles. LOL. She thinks it might be the smell, or lack thereof.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts