Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!! This is exactly what I'm training my nearly 5 month old spoo to do!! It's so great to have forum member that's got trained standards doing this!! ^^ They look GREAT!

What're they carrying?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I've been training myself with the help of some retriever club folks. But I don't use e-collars or force fetch like most retriever trainers.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been using British Retriever training methods as outlined in Vic Barlow's book British Training for American Retrievers, Wildrose Way Retriever training DVD and the new Upland DVD, plus some drills traditionally used by e-collar trainers to fill in the gaps for Hunt Tests. This type of training is touted as low-force way to train hunting retrievers. So far its working great! But I have not tried a hunt test yet because I want them to be stronger in the water portion. Poodles don't seem to have a lot of water courage so we'll continue working in the water in all summer. Start your pup swimming ASAP.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Beautiful dogs in great outdoor cuts!
Thanks, they were just shaved down with a 7 blade a week before these pictures. I don't usually take them that short because of biting flies and such, but they're going to be swimming every day and the ticks are horrid right now. It's much easier to see the little buggers when they're short.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Beautiful!

Pearl has aspirations to retrieverdom, with her bird & water fetishes- I would love to carve out the time (the field trials are a mile & a half away! Convenient.) Maybe one of my kids will grow into it, it would be a shame to deny her.

Look how happy those spoos are! (And I love a short coat myself- we are in tick country too, the cedar glades. I like how it shows their beautiful confirmation.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts