Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gracie loves water! Are your poodles enjoying water sports this summer?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Tonka likes water. But only some water.

Raised in the Caribbean, he'll happily splash out into salt water.

But fresh water?!! :afraid: There's something scary about the scent of fresh water. He won't go near it. lol

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
I have a water dog, Babykins loves splashing in ponds. She’s also fond of wallowing in muddy puddles to cool off after a run.

Looks like Gracie is having a wonderful time.

Reactions: jojogal001

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Looks like fun! I know Jasper would hate it, but I thought about filling up a kiddie pool and seeing if Miracle would play in it. That would be the only water play around here!

·
Registered
468 Posts
My girls are not fond of water. :-( They both avoid it as much as possible. Chuui fell in the pool at my sisters recently; she got too close trying to sniff and slipped off the ladder. After that steered clear. But my father took both girls into the pool later for dips, and to show them where the ladder is. They both were good at swimming from him at the far end back to the ladder and climbing out. Though Mochi refused to come to me when I called her back to the ladder when she was on the deck. Chuui kept coming when I called, and seemed to want to be with me, but was all knuckling and nails trying to climb me when I tried to lower her into the water. I think they could have liked water in different circumstances. They had only ever had experience with a kiddie pool that had a few inches in it and they clearly did not like that either.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Country Boy- Didn’t know Tonka was raised in the Caribbean. My older dogs don’t like the salt water, but Lily and Misty get in freshwater without a problem, Max is not a fan of getting in water of any type. Not sure what Gracie will do with salt water. Guess it’s probably what they’re used to.

Skylar, I remember the pic of Babykins in the mud puddle! Gracie likes mud too, and prefers it in as close proximity to a groom as possible.

Dogs4life, I’m interested to see if Miracle likes the kiddie pool.

Brooklyn Bonnie, it sounds like they both had a bad first experience, but they also may just be dogs that don’t like water. One of my dogs, Max,has always hated the water, and there is no changing his opinion!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Willard was happy to go for a swim a couple weekends ago when we gave him a chance at the beach.

We don't take him swimming often though, because he takes SO LONG to air dry!

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Asta does not like water at all - never has. He is very reluctant to go out when it is raining, even a light rain. Avoids puddles. As our property borders on Lake Tuscaloosa, it would have been nice if he could go for a swim - but no way!

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
We don't take him swimming often though, because he takes SO LONG to air dry!
lol - I gotta admit, I was some pleased when Tonka wouldn't go near the lake. Thru a hot Summer of taking the g-kids to the beach, there's no way I want to deal with Wet Poodle. :ahhhhh:

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kchen, that’s a great shot and clearly he loves it.

Yes, dealing with wet poodle fur is a chore, I can’t imagine what’s it like with a standard. Although, my three littles swim, and together they’re probably as much mess!

MF, looks like she’s enjoying summer weather just fine as a landlubber ?

I’m hoping to do dock diving with Gracie. She loves the water and is a born retriever, but is not thrilled when it’s deep and she can’t touch. I think I need to take her for some lessons if I want to move forward with that.

Reactions: MaizieFrosty

·
Registered
149 Posts
Carolinek, those are great pictures! Looks like Gracie is having so much fun. I have a question for you - is that the NiteIze collar light Gracie is wearing? Have you been happy with it (reading some mixed reviews about battery life). I'm looking to get a collar light or something similar for when we visit my parents at their lake house in a couple weeks. My mini is black and will be spending a lot of time outside, and it was so hard to find him in the backyard when we were there earlier this summer!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks rp17! I don’t remember the brand of the collar light,I bought it several months ago at a local pet shop.I don’t see a brand on it. It has worked well, it’s very bright, we call it her strobe light. Sorry I don’t have more information. And yes, tough to see these black dogs at night!

Reactions: rp17
1 - 14 of 14 Posts