Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is my poodle the only poodle that cannot handle having a proper water bowl??

We have just a very small bowl for Peggy's water, elevated off the ground in her crate with a mounting bracket. It's accessible but awkward to get to, and intentionally so. This is because, as a puppy, she tried to play in every bowlful of water we offered her.

Fast forward to today: Peggy recently started drinking from the toilets (ew), so I thought, "Okay! She can handle a bowl. She is showing me she WANTS a bowl."

We implemented an all-toilet-lids-must-be-kept-closed policy and I put out a big bowl of fresh water for her.

"Here you go, Peggy. You're a very mature poodle. I'm proud of you."

As I type this, I can hear her happily blowing bubbles in it.

Oh Peggy.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Misha doesn't get a water bowl in his pen or his crate when he's alone. It took two times of him tipping it and creating a giant mess for me to take it out. He drinks when he's out and seems fine with that. Hopefully one day when he's older he will be able to handle one haha. Crossing my fingers for Peggy.

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Misha doesn't get a water bowl in his pen or his crate when he's alone. It took two times of him tipping it and creating a giant mess for me to take it out. He drinks when he's out and seems fine with that. Hopefully one day when he's older he will be able to handle one haha. Crossing my fingers for Peggy.
? I have never had to give a second thought to water bowls. Crazy poodles.

·
Registered
134 Posts
??? Peggy is too funny. I don’t see how the toilet can be more appealing than a nice fresh bowl of water.
Paris can’t seem to stop putting her paw in the water when she drinks. She’s a work in progress.

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
??? Peggy is too funny. I don’t see how the toilet can be more appealing than a nice fresh bowl of water.
Paris can’t seem to stop putting her paw in the water when she drinks. She’s a work in progress.
Uh oh! Sounds like you've got a Peggy-level water dog on your hands! ? The upside is that she LOVES baths.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I’m so glad my spoo isn’t into toilet bowls. She has a water bowl that filters the water that is refilled daily buuut her absolute favourite place to get water is from the bottom cover of the planters outside!! I now dump it out daily and refill it with clean water and clean it so she isn’t drinking the gross rain/dirt water (the planter is dead so doesn’t get watered) but ugh.

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m so glad my spoo isn’t into toilet bowls. She has a water bowl that filters the water that is refilled daily buuut her absolute favourite place to get water is from the bottom cover of the planters outside!! I now dump it out daily and refill it with clean water and clean it so she isn’t drinking the gross rain/dirt water (the planter is dead so doesn’t get watered) but ugh.
Ha! Yep. That's very relatable.

Peggy has a weekly play date at our trainer's house, and she likes to lead the other dogs on an adventure into the massive garden, where they take turns drinking from buckets, wheelbarrows...whatever they can find!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Gracie used to do this, but at 15 months, seems to have outgrown it. It’s been a few months since Ive sopped up a puddle. However, we shall see if this is a permanent change!

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Registered
97 Posts
Try a smaller bowl. Noodle used to play with her water until I reduced the bowl size.
I use a soup bowl that is rather deep, the kind that won't fit right in your dishwasher.

20200315_143851.jpg

The toilet water is because they have a natural instinct to drink flowing water,
and it is the freshest water in the house.

She would probably like one of those pet drinking fountains if she has a Gramma or admirer who is up for an expensive gift. ^.^

1 - 15 of 15 Posts