Poodle Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Your pup is darling. It is possibly a merle to merle breeding which can result in deafness and/or blindness. In aussies when you have so much white on a merle dog you will almost certainly have deafness. If you have any concerns about your pup's hearing you can speak with your vet. A DNA test could reveal if your puppy is homozygous for merle. I mention this because I have great sympathy for deaf dogs, who sometimes go a while before their humans realize their lovely pet is not ignoring them, but just can't hear them. Dogs with poor hearing can still make excellent pets, but they do need some training modifications.

Of course, I do not know or assume that this is true for your puppy. I assume only that she is your loving and devoted friend.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Adorable little puppy! Agree with other folks, definitely not pure poodle. Doesn’t matter- enjoy him. Here’s pic of my very poodley mix, she was a stray so I have no idea what she is and the DNA I did nine years ago made no sense.Love every inch of her.

Would be interesting to see how the breeder responds to you asking about the parents.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Regardless of your dog's breeding, your groomer should be educated about multicolored poodles. Piebald poodles are a historic part of the breed (just look at old paintings) but the AKC parent club regards anything other than a solid color as a disqualification in conformation competition. Even so, multicolored poodles can retain full AKC registration and compete in performance events. Sadly, AKC poodle breeders would sometimes cull multicolored and mismarked (those with random white spots) puppies at birth. I think that practice is not followed so much today.

On the other hand, UKC allows poodles of all colors and markings to compete in conformation. Solid colored poodles compete separately from multicolored and mismarked poodles. Standard poodles are part of the Gun Dog group. If I recall correctly, miniature poodles compete in the Companion group and toys are in the Toy group. (AKC places standards and minis in the Nonsporting group.) The UKC parent club for poodles is the United Poodle Association (http://www.unitedpoodleassociation.com/).

In addition to particolored poodles, another spectacular poodle coloration is "phantom" (the black-and-tan gene) so the poodles have markings similar to rottweilers and dobermans.

My own dog is registered in both AKC and UKC. He's a UKC breed champion and we compete in rally and obedience. He's a solid blue. When we were exploring a career as a stud dog, we did DNA testing that shows he does not carry the piebald gene, but does have one copy of the black-and-tan gene.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Some groomers truly don't know. When my parti spoos were in their lanky puppy phase I got a lot of "Look at the baby Afghans, squeeeee!" That was amusing until a groomer told me not to trim them because I'd ruin their coats.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I'd ask them to at least pay for a DNA test and wouldn't back down. Doesn't mean they can't still love their pup. But I think unscrupulous folks need be held accountable, especially when animals are involved.
I agree - anyone who tries to sell crossbred dogs as purebred is certainly dishonest. Reputable breeders - of any breed - spend years studying the breed in order to produce quality dogs - both physically and mentally.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your dogs are purebred, the spots don't mean they were bred with another breed, it is simply genetics. Looks like you have a Parti. Patti's cannot compete in AKA shows, unless the rules have changed. They can compete in Agility. But there is still hope, ours developed yellow head, ears and tail shortly after birth. But in 2 years he turned to solid white.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I'd ask them to at least pay for a DNA test and wouldn't back down. Doesn't mean they can't still love their pup. But I think unscrupulous folks need be held accountable, especially when animals are involved.
That would be a good idea. Also, the OP has a right to meet the mother and father of their dog. I hope in the end that there is a way to warn others about this breeder.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts