Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased our family pet as a pure bred miniature Poodle. Was told by a new groomer that poodles don't have spots. Ours has 3 big spots. Still love our dog but would really like to get an excuse from the breeder if this is true. Thanks in advance for your reply.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Could you post a picture so we could see what you mean by spots? Were you purchasing this poodle for conformation or was it purchased as a pet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
407 Posts
Poodles can be parti colored, though most I see have more color on them than yours. But the spots don't exclude her from being a poodle. If you show different body views we may have more info on whether she looks full poodle, but it can be especially difficult to tell without a shaved face. If she is a poodle, I think the tail dock looks on the short side. So I'm guessing not from a great breeder, hence maybe why you're concerned. Regardless of breed, it's the personality that counts. Enjoy her!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Congratulations on your new companion. :)

I've never seen a poodle with spots like that. Reminds of some "sheepadoodle" pups I've seen. Can we see some more photos?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Purebred poodles can be solid or variations on multi colors. Check out the Poodle Rainbow Forum here

to see a few non-solid colored poodles

---------------------------

another link to an outside website showing the many types of poodle coloring

---------------------------

It would be helpful to see full (esp clean) face and standing side view.

As the other members have said, this particular color variation is quite different but doesn't mean your pup isn't a poodle.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Another spotty girl, white blaze and white spot on the chin. There is a puppy pic and more recent ones. She’s 13 months now. From a show line, both parents are champions, and many champions in the pedigree.

Her markings were there from birth. when did your dog develop them?

The gene for parti color is in the poodle gene pool, and crops up now and then. Breeders used to cull them, maybe some still do. I would let the breeder know, but it doesn’t mean she’s not purebred. Unless you’re going to show or breed her, it’s not a worry.

Love to see other pics, then we can also comment better based on conformation.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I have a spotty pup too. I’ll show a picture of when he was a puppy as his spots were darker.

You can barely see the spot up top in his left side. His top knot is darker as well as his ears. He also has a spot around the base of his tail.

I’ll try to find a better one.

I hope you can see this on a computer. I’m on my phone and can’t see it very well, but you should be able to from a computer.

·
Super Moderator
2,587 Posts
Poodles can have spots; they're called piebalds. Peggy's poodle is an excellent example of one. This the result in DNA color genetics and can be seen in horses and other animals too. Some have many or dramatic spots, while others like yours have a few.

Piebald horse.JPG

If you can get a better closeup of one of his/her spots, with one of the hair parted enought to show the bare skin, that might be useful too in ruling out a skin condition from an allergy, etc.

These links may be of interest to you:

Scroll halfway down here -- COLOR BREEDING IN POODLES

See Post #2 here -- Colour breeding

Also do a regular google search and do an images.google.com search for - parti abstract mismark piebald poodles, and add the word genetics if you're interested in that end of it.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
my boy has a white patch on the chest and chin. I agree a full body picture with your pup standing and so we could see the face would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same markings as my Gracie! She is his mini me.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Jojaga, your boy is a good example of a similar color to the OP’s pup!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies. Was traveling so this is first chance for more pics. She was just shaved so it should be pretty clear. Thanks again

·
Registered
369 Posts
Based on these pictures, I think your pup looks like a cross.
  1. The spots look two toned, like a merle color.
  2. There's a blue eye, which is associated with merle.
  3. The legs look shorter than a typical poodle's.
  4. The muzzle shape and the ear set look a little different.
Merle, unlike white spotting, is not an historic poodle color pattern. It is, however, found in corgis and dachshunds as well as a number of other breeds. Therefore, I think your pup got the short legs as well as that adorable blue eye and eye patch from another breed.

I wouldn't be concerned. My best buddy growing up was a poodle cross that looked like Benji. I wish I could have done agility with him. He would have rocked.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Gosh, that reminds me of my Gracie! Suuuuper cute, but only half poodle. The other half was a mix of dachshund and ?????????

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I agree with Cowpony, your adorable puppy looks like a mix of maybe poodle and a merle dachshunds based on the ears and short legs. Google merle dachshund and you’ll see similar ears and body shape. You can do a DNA test to find out.

PeggyTheParti, Gracie was super cute. She had the most expressive sweet little face.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
What a cute little guy! I agree with the others; based on the new photos, your pup does not look full poodle. Because the breeder was dishonest when selling the dog, I expect he/she will continue to be dishonest if you question this. :( I would suggest to just enjoy your sweet little pup as is! :)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
What a cute little guy! I agree with the others; based on the new photos, your pup does not look full poodle. Because the breeder was dishonest when selling the dog, I expect he/she will continue to be dishonest if you question this. :( I would suggest to just enjoy your sweet little pup as is! :)
I'd ask them to at least pay for a DNA test and wouldn't back down. Doesn't mean they can't still love their pup. But I think unscrupulous folks need be held accountable, especially when animals are involved.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts