Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@#@#&%(#@#&[email protected]&((@$&@(!(&(!P)@

First snow of the year (I live in Maine). And it's also the puppies first snow as well (they're 1 now - but we lived in Texas when they were pups). Sent everyone out, stayed out for them for a bit and watched all 4 dogs zoomie around (it was dark out).

I let everyone in and O-M-G they brought in half the snow! It's suppose to snow the next 2 days as well. Anything I can do to make the snow not attach to everyone's legs? (the other two dogs are Miniature Schnauzers) besides shaving everyone's legs and undersides??

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
hahahahaha, have you not seen all the comments on the snow balls of hairy poodle legs? heh. Nothing ya can do about it unless you can melt it off before they get inside (a bucket of warm-hot water does wonders! But then they're still wet....) or like you say, shave 'em!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have heard spraying pam on the dogs helps keep snow off but I can't imagine the what the floors would be like from that.
I have snow suits for my guys and I have booties
Best thing to do is shovel out to the potty spot so that quick pees isn't an issue andif they are out to play find or make some sort of long socks with velcro or elastic.
A quick slicker outside takes a lot of it off as well

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
This is going to be our first year with two big dogs that love snow. I might try the sock thing, but we designate our first floor bathroom as the "defrosting" room. Lay some towels down, leave the dogs in there for 15 minutes or so, and they're mostly melted.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I brought them in this morning and promptly put all 4 in the tub! I'm used to the schnauzers getting snowballs in their legs, I think I'm remembering that I did shave them. And of course!! Everyone's legs/undersides/leg poms are the perfect length right now. Oh well... maybe in the spring, right?

Stryder (schnauzer) also somehow cut his foot on something, so he's now wearing a sock. Kill me.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Enjoy it all the winter is just starting (groan). I just keep towels at the doors and get as much off as I can then either confine then to their crate to dry off some more.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My Malteses wear coats and booties (when they do not loose the booties) when we go for walks in the woods!! It does cut down on the snow balls!

One thing to be extremely careful about, is the hair between the pads on the feet have to be cut short. Snow ball turn into ice balls really fast and can hurt them!
I check all my dogs every week during the winter and trim their feet!

·
Registered
229 Posts
This is going to sound really silly, but I put these things on Cricket that I have leftover from my youngest son, called BabyLegs. They are sort of like form-fitting legwarmers that you would put on a baby's arms or legs. Cricket hates things on her feet, but will tolerate these BabyLegs. She looks silly, but it keeps the iceballs off her legs. We usually only get a couple inches of snow where I live though. They probably wouldn't really be helpful in a couple feet of snow!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts