Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had severe allergies to dog fur since I was little and have been hospitalized multiple times. I now have a hairless dog and have no reaction to her. I have been wanting another dog for a while now and have looked into a standard poodle. Over the years my allergies have gotten slightly better but they are still bad. Has anyone with severe allergies like me been able to live with a standard poodle and if so what have you done to minimize the effects?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have light eczema and mildly sensitive allergies. I had a pet free childhood with very allergic parents, I had the allergy shots growing up -- the whole 9 yards minus oatmeal baths... so I'm in your boat.

-I have 2 honeywell air purifiers going 24/7 in my small apt
-I brush Basil daily
-Sweep/vaccume daily
-Bath Basil every 7-10 days

I know she needs a bath on days 9-10 when I'm scratching her and a centimeter from her hair root to skin gets gritty feeling. During these day 9-10 or so, if I smell my hands after an intense cuddle/petting session I get a sneeze attack. So, that's my cue for a bath.

When I go over to my parents, my Mom who has severe allergies and eczema who loves to pet Basil.. She washes her hands after scratching Basil and is okay.

I suspect you already have a clean environment. Regular baths and brushes and you'll be okay. It's possible with a SPOO.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
I have severe allergies and I have two toy poodles (6 pounds and 8 pounds). I do have allergies to them unfortunately, but not severe, at least not until recently. I get skin rashes if they lick too much, my eyes itch, I sneeze and I have asthma. The past two years, since I’ve moved, my asthma has become hard to manage in winter. It came to the point that I was thinking about rehoming. I changed all my meds, bought a commercial grade air purifier for my room and just had an air exchanger installed. I’m now waiting to see what the winter will be like for me.

I would never dream of having a standard poodle. The bigger the dog, the worse the allergies. If you found a breed that works for you, stick with it, don’t risk your health. That’s my advice.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have an aquantence who had a Standard. She kept the dog shaved to the skin except like 1/4 inch on head & ears. It was the only way she could have a big dog. She worked with a breeder & they checked with 3 litters of pups before she found one she had no reaction to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts