Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kinds of animals does your dog consider prey? I am very relieved that, through much training, my dog Sammie now behaves perfectly around chickens. He will, however, chase squirrels. I don't know how he would react to cats, but I'm sure he could be taught not to chase them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Definitely squirrels and birds, though I've never seen Marley around a chicken. Oddly enough, flies. (He tries to catch them in his mouth). We think that he sees cats as potential friends rather than prey, because he had a cat in his former household. However, the cats don't see his overtures in quite the same way.

Our squirrel story today: We were eating outside at a restaurant. Normally, we put Marley in a downstay and he is extremely good... he has stayed down for a couple of hours, no problem. He usually falls asleep. But just in case, I always tie his leash to my chair. Today a squirrel ran close to our table, and it was just too much temptation. He bolted after the squirrel so hard and fast that he broke out of his collar -- we had been told that it was designed to do that, but not being able to break it ourselves, we didn't really believe it. Somehow Marley's 14.4 pounds of determination did it. Luckily nothing bad happened -- he quickly ran himself into a corner (I don't know where the squirrel went) and we got him back to the table without incident. Let's just say he was in the doghouse for the rest of the meal. (ha ha).

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Squirrels.
Birds.
Ducks.
Geese.

That's all I've noticed so far.. probably anything similiar in size.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Definitely squirrels and birds, though I've never seen Marley around a chicken. Oddly enough, flies. (He tries to catch them in his mouth). We think that he sees cats as potential friends rather than prey, because he had a cat in his former household. However, the cats don't see his overtures in quite the same way.

Our squirrel story today: We were eating outside at a restaurant. Normally, we put Marley in a downstay and he is extremely good... he has stayed down for a couple of hours, no problem. He usually falls asleep. But just in case, I always tie his leash to my chair. Today a squirrel ran close to our table, and it was just too much temptation. He bolted after the squirrel so hard and fast that he broke out of his collar -- we had been told that it was designed to do that, but not being able to break it ourselves, we didn't really believe it. Somehow Marley's 14.4 pounds of determination did it. Luckily nothing bad happened -- he quickly ran himself into a corner (I don't know where the squirrel went) and we got him back to the table without incident. Let's just say he was in the doghouse for the rest of the meal. (ha ha).
lol That is a cute story. It's a good thing he wasn't strong enough to knock you out of your chair. :p I think the squirrel ran close to Marley on purpose. :D

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
They are all good with the cats but Tuesday like to pester them until they run :p she was around Geese before I got her and was punished for getting close to them (part of some issues I'm working on) but she is very interested in big birds. The little ones that come into the yard, not so much. She would chase a squirrel if she had the chance.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sam will catch small birds that come into the yard. He doesn't know what to do with them once he has caught them though. He will chase rabbits and squirrels, but he doesn't look like he really wants to catch them. He has a thing about flies also, he stalks them and snaps at them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Being in sagebrush-juniper, Donner's and Molly's favorite is Jackrabbits. This time of year, they wake me up at the crack of dawn to go hunt. I let them out for 15 minutes or so, then round them up with a whistle. They are usually good about returning (60 acres) but I have to go get them sometimes on a golfcar. They also love to corner Bushy-Tailed Woodrats in the woodpile. Harley tries for the smaller rabbits that get under our hottub. Molly also likes to chase Western Fence Lizards and scarab beetles that will hiss if disturbed.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sam will catch small birds that come into the yard. He doesn't know what to do with them once he has caught them though. He will chase rabbits and squirrels, but he doesn't look like he really wants to catch them. He has a thing about flies also, he stalks them and snaps at them.
haha, that's how Paris is, She chases things but if she were to catch it she wouldn't know what to do with it! She chases the cat, if she catches it she stands there like... "now what?"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anything that MOVES... but KaJ is really good about it. He never crosses the yard line, even tho our "yard line" just goes into our other farmyard driveway, and the yard of our sons home. Once he catches up with whatever he is chasing..the fun is all over for him. Its so cute to see him sitting at the edge of our yard..with a barn cat sitting on the other side just having a staredown with each other. Now Angel, she will chase and chase and try to tree everything. She goes crazy when there is a bug around, she does the stalking and snap also.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Star is very much a bird dog.

I also don't trust her to not run down and chase and drag her maltese brother or our house rabbit.

I keep my eye on her interactions with them.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
They are all good with the cats but Tuesday like to pester them until they run :p she was around Geese before I got her and was punished for getting close to them (part of some issues I'm working on) but she is very interested in big birds. The little ones that come into the yard, not so much. She would chase a squirrel if she had the chance.

Yes Enzo loves our cats but he likes to pester them too lol I just tell him leave it and he will stop chasing or pouncing at them. He has not really gotten the chance to see other small animals. He seen ducks but does not care for them

·
Registered
182 Posts
Oh, geez...

Just about anything but other poodles.

When Alex was a struttin' young lad, he saw a gaggle of geese on the shore of a lake where we live. Since he was off leash, he made a bolt for them. The geese simply waddled out into the lake and paddled away. Alex lunged in after them. Since he'd never been in the water before, he got this panicked look on his face, as he realized... he couldn't swim!!!
I was already kicking off my shoes (aw, crap am I going to have to jump into the lake and save my dog?) when he put it all together and realized all he had to do was paddle back in. He shook himself on the beach and just danced around!! We both had BIG laugh about that. He's never been swimming since.

Cleo will bound into the brush after deer. Alex loves to herd cows with his mighty voice (which of course can get him shot some places here... ). Cleo has discovered ground squirrels, and will chase them into their burrows until she's completely spent, and looks like this....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts