Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I don't have my poodles yet, the breeder I'm interested in will be breeding next year and my boyfriend and I plan on adopting three from the litter. These dogs are going to be standard poodles, and the house we are going to be moving in is tiny!

However, our yard is going to be giant, so what I want to do is, instead of leaving them inside the tiny house all day when we're not home, allow them to go in and out as they please to have plenty of space with the help of a doggie door.

When I was talking this over with my friend, who is also going to be my breeder, she was saying she never wanted a doggie door because the dogs always came in with things attached to them. (I've always called poodles Velcro dogs ;D)

Does anyone ever have a problem with their dogs coming into the house with a little of the great outdoors sticking along with them? I'm a groomer, so I wouldn't mind cleaning them up, I just want to know what I'm in store for.

Also, I've never owned poodles before, I've been waiting for the perfect breeder but have been absolutely in love with the breed for years!

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'm curious as well! Growing up, when we got a doggie door it was a slice of Heaven for my mix dog. The freedom for everyone involved was great, but she was an adult or even senior at the time.

When I asked our Breeder about one she thought at least 2 if not 3 years before we should even consider giving the dog the run of the house and yard by having a dog door. Maybe your situation is different, but for us the dog door would definitely mean she'd have the run of nearly all of the house (we could close off bedrooms but not the rest) due to where the door would be.

Right now, at a huge 4 1/2 months there's NO way she's allowed that much unsupervised mischief, either in or outside! I know I was a girl, but I don't remember my dog being this big at this level of immaturity. This poodle girl of ours is TALL.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have thought about getting a doggy door also. But my major concern would be that poodle's love to bark.... Our neighbors are fairly close by and I know that uncontrolled barking would not be appreciated by them... I would have to have a solution to the barking before I would let Roxy in and out at her descretion.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I dont have any experience with a doggie door. I agree wholeheartedly about not letting puppies free run of the house/yard though!! WAY too much trouble to get into, and some that could be harmful (eating rocks/mulch, etc).

I do want to comment on the fact that you are getting 3 puppies at once though. I cannot stress what a BAD idea this is! All reputable breeders and trainers agree to not get two puppies at once, let alone Three!! One puppy is Hard work, two is terrible, three is just... For one, it is going to be hard to spend the quality time with all three that you need to raise well behavied, socialized, adjusted dogs. They will each need a lot of one on one training time. Also, puppies tend to bond with eachother, and not to the owner if brought home together. I dont mean to sound harsh, but it is in the best interest of the puppies and you that i Strongly advice you to rethink getting more then ONE puppy at once!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts