Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m here to learn more about the breed so that when the time is right to get my first standard I’ve done my homework. I’m eager to get one but I’m hoping to add another baby to our family (already have two) and am curious about members’ thoughts about when would be the right time to get a poodle puppy? I know the standard advice is when the youngest reaches grade school but that seems so far away!

Any thoughts are welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Hello and welcome !

I think the answers lies entirely on you. Personnally, I would not have had the patience to deal with young children and a young pup/dog at the same time. We always had dogs, but my BT was older when I got my first child. And after that I always had small dogs, which is a lot lot easier than bigger dogs.

I don’t have a standard (I have two toys) but from what I’ve read they can be a challenge for the first two years, and then they settle down. So it really depends on the level of action you want in your life...

In general, kids have to be responsible enough to know not to hurt a dog (pulling the ears, tail, ect), not to play with their food, ect. But then again, it really depends on the child. Some will be gentle at 2 years old, and some won’t be ever.

Those are my thoughts. I am the type to believe that when you really want something, and you prepare for it and learn all you can, it will work, under the right circumstances.

Dogs can be a wonderful addition to a family with young kids. Or not...

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
I think a lot depends on your family, especially the kids. We got a tpoo puppy when DD#1 was 7 and DD#2 was 3. Most people would say to get a spoo or a larger mini and to wait till the younger child was older. But I had a window of time when I was home to raise a puppy. Both my girls were very gentle with out cats and were well behaved And mature emotionally for their ages. They weren’t rambunctious or wild so getting a tpoo worked for us. If my children had different personalities and activities I would have made a different decision.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I got my Standard when my girls were five and nine. The girls were old enough to participate in simple training and the dog absolutely worshipped them. The girls used to take turns using the poodle's body as a pillow for their heads as they watched cartoons. They alternated on whose day it was to have the poodle after school...except for one day my youngest child told me that her sister could have the dog on her day because ..."Sissy had a baaad day and she needs the poodle!" They had hours of fun racing around the backyard, having tea parties, pretending that the poodle was Balto saving lives, etc.. I was widowed when my youngest daughter was ten months old, and also have a son who was thirteen when we got the dog. There is no way that I could have done justice to the dog, as a single parent, if we had gotten her when the children were younger.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My kids are 9,7 and 3 years old and we got our puppy a couple months ago. I don't think I would have wanted to mess with training a puppy and an infant or toddler. For my family the ages have worked amazing, although the mouthy puppy has caused a few tears even though they're supervised constantly. I am also home 80% of the time so that helps too. Our pup has really been the best friend my youngest could have asked for, although she loves all the kids a ton!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Its been a long time since I have had small children but you have gotten some good feedback already. I also think a lot has to do with your personal self. Are you laid back and easy like ok I'll do it whenever or does everything need to get done on time and be in its place. I think the latter makes it more difficult because having a puppy is just like having an infant for the 1st y ear, especially the 1st 2-3 weeks when your getting up every few hours to take it out to potty. I was very sleep deprived the 1st 3 weeks, then suddenly the puppy slept thru the night and it all got better. My pup is 13 months now and still a challenge at times but if he had kids to run and play with I think that would have been good for him. Having an infant and a puppy at the same time I think would be difficult as the puppy will want to jump and play and will not understand how delicate a baby is. If it were me I would probably wait until my youngest is 3 or 4 and can stand their ground, lol.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Having just gone through the mouthy puppy stage + plus toddler (grand son) I can attest that its a lot of work and not a match made in heaven. I would not want to do Infant + mouthy puppy. With my grandson - he was 3 when the Poodle entered the house he is very reasonable and helps with training and was taught from a young age what to expect and how to act around the dog. It is amazing how the energy of one will influence the other.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, this is all really helpful. I’m hearing I should wait and I think I will! A last question—I’d initially selected the Australian Labradoodle crossbreed because I read so much about how they are ideal family dogs, but then chose standard poodle because reading online it seems like many AL’s she’d and have that doggy smell, two things I’m looking to avoid, so it seems like more of a gamble. Curious whether any poodle owners also have experience/thoughts on Australian Labradoodles? Have I made the right choice (for when my kids are old enough)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
701 Posts
Our neighbors have an Australian doodle. Australian doodles definitely have the doggy smell and they tend to shed more than just poodles. The neighbor doodle has a rather weird feeling fur, it feels a little like a poodle and a lot like a labradoodle. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I will share my perspective. I picked up my Spoo boy on Dec. 5th. He is perfect. My kids are 22 and 18! In my experience there is more than just kid age that factors into the decision. Both DH and I work full time and about the time I felt I could bring a dog into the picture, my daughter developed an interest in competitive softball- and she was really good. We felt strongly about supporting her in her passion which meant a lot of time away from home for practices/games etc. Fast forward to this year when she graduated from college as a student athlete after a very successful athletic career. We were not a dog friendly family during those years- it would not have been fair to the dog. My son also played soccer but not to the level of my daughter. So, needless to say we weren't home a lot. So I think it not only depends on the age of your kids, but what else is going on in your life and what your priorities are. I waited a long time to get my fur baby- and although my kids are mad I waited until they were basically out of the house to get a dog- he's getting all the attention he needs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts