Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We often talk here about how fast our poodles are, and I found this ranking of the fastest dog breeds that supports our wholly scientific and unbiased observations that are poodles are speed demons.

Not surprisingly sighthounds claim half of the top twenty spots and several by a decisively large margin. Four sighthounds reach top speeds of 40 mph or more. The fastest of the endurance breeds, which include spoos, claim positions lower in the top twenty.

Here are the nine non-sighthounds making the list:
3 (tied). Viszla - 40 mph / 64 km/h​
6. JRT - 38 mph / 62 km/h (!!)​
7. Dalmatian​
11. Weimaraner​
12. Dobermann​
13-16. Great Dane, GSD, Border Collie, Standard Poodle - 30 mph / 48 km/h​
18. Giant Schnauzer​

As the comments make clear, there is plenty to contest. A similar but less gratifying list from Stanley Coren has slightly different rankings and top speeds and doesn't extend far enough to include spoos.

Unfortunately, mpoos don't make either list, obviously an oversight on the part of the authors, as anyone familiar with mpoos knows that they can hold their own with spoos over short distances.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
I’m not surprised. My friend had Italian Greyhounds (IG) and I used to walk Babykins with her dogs. It was clear they had a very similar body shape to my minipoo. The IG had slightly more slender, legs a little more delicate but very close.

Reactions: Liz

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Not surprised at all! At the dog park we go to, people use Annie as a measure of speed. 'That dog's faster than Annie!' is not said very often. 'Aw, poor thing, he's trying so hard to keep up!' is said a lot. And then she just keeps running ... And running... And running...

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Skylar IGs are super fast! My male had an IG playmate who was not only speedy but could corner on a dime. My male was the only one who could catch him (and it shocked the IG every time).

@Raindrops Viszlas and Afghan Hounds tie for 3d at 40 mph or 62 km/h. Since my list above is just the non-sighthounds, I'll edit to add the Viszlas. My guess is some of the sturdier pointers, like GSPs, come in the next 10, but I haven't found a full list.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I once took my standard poodle to a lure coursing practice along with my whippet. I'll never forget hearing the sighthound folks yelling "look at that poodle go!". Standard poodles often have a strong prey drive, so the ones that do can be great coursing dogs.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I was curious about this in regard to comparison to fast CAT rankings. I looked up these breeds and it doesn't match. Most of the "fast" breeds that aren't sighthounds are around 30 mph with only sighthounds getting above that. But many breeds are clustered around that 30 mph speed including vizsla, german shorthaired pointer, malinois, border collie. Poodles mostly do not hit 30 mph and are closer to 28 maybe 29. But there is a bitch in 2020 that ran 31.64 which is crazy. From this list the only one that hits 30 mph is the border collie. So I'm not sure if it's sample size or methods that's causing the discrepancy. There's no doubt poodles are fast dogs though!

·
Super Moderator
2,596 Posts
I wonder how they got the measurements. I'm surprised not to see foxhound on the list.

Pogo and Snarky would lose to a Jack Russell in a short sprint, but not much apart from the barn's foxhound cross could keep up with them on a long run. Galen isn't as fast as they were. Part of it is conditioning; Galen doesn't get the daily runs they got. I also wonder if part of it is Galen's more traditionally correct conformation. Pogo and Snaky were oversized and long backed. I know cats bend their spines like springs to get a longer stride. I wonder if my boys' long backs, while not as flexible as a cat's, gave them a slightly longer stride than Galen's.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I wonder how they got the measurements. I'm surprised not to see foxhound on the list.

Pogo and Snarky would lose to a Jack Russell in a short sprint, but not much apart from the barn's foxhound cross could keep up with them on a long run. Galen isn't as fast as they were. Part of it is conditioning; Galen doesn't get the daily runs they got. I also wonder if part of it is Galen's more traditionally correct conformation. Pogo and Snaky were oversized and long backed. I know cats bend their spines like springs to get a longer stride. I wonder if my boys' long backs, while not as flexible as a cat's, gave them a slightly longer stride than Galen's.
I looked at foxhound on fast CAT but there are very few entries so no way to get an accurate speed. Misha is also long backed and he is an incredibly fast dog. But not very bouncy like many poodles are.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I looked at foxhound on fast CAT but there are very few entries so no way to get an accurate speed. Misha is also long backed and he is an incredibly fast dog. But not very bouncy like many poodles are.
I know so many agility handlers who would love a not-bouncy poodle!

@Dianaleez - I think JRTs might be my spirit animal (I'm 5'0).

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I know so many agility handlers who would love a not-bouncy poodle!

@Dianaleez - I think JRTs might be my spirit animal (I'm 5'0).
Haha yeah at least I don't need to worry about him jumping gates. He still never knocks a bar even at 16" so no complaints there. But I see some poodles that are just constantly airborne.

·
Registered
591 Posts
My Giant is the only dog I currently have that can even begin to keep up with Mr. Layne. She is nearing 10 years old & no longer has the long term running stamina she once did but she's also grown wiser with age & works smarter. When the pup is wanting to run like a loon, she will stop running so much & he'll have to circle her. So he does all the work & she goes in a small pivot & tells him off a lot. Mr. Layne is very much like my old Malinois. It isn't just about his speed but his accuracy. I've seen him take off, full tilt & jump or tunnel without touching anything that might hurt him. I told my husband once to be careful at the front door because if the pup misread him, he'd be out the door before he could say a word. I don't think husband believed me because he is very fast himself & I know he thought "yeah, right" & five minutes later he was standing there with a disgusted look on his face. The pup thought my husband motioned for the go-ahead & he leaped, making one touch of the ground before he was out the door opening which was small enough for the Chihuahuas. He never touched the door or door facing. It's impressive. So when he brought him back in my husband thought there would be a lot of back & forth until the pup understood... it took ONCE. I maybe should have named him Flash instead of Mr. Layne but geeze that pup can move. My Malinois was faster but she was also about 50 pounds. Those little 40-50 dogs can be speed demons. I've seen a lot of very fast dogs in my lifetime but a dog who is fast while being accurate is poetry in motion & not as common. The old military style agility I do is not about speed, it's about thinking. Mr. Layne can stay up there with a lot of my working dogs of the past in the thinking department & thinking on the move. Now if I can just get him to take direction on the fly without tripping him up.

Thank you for sharing this. It's interesting.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was curious about this in regard to comparison to fast CAT rankings. I looked up these breeds and it doesn't match. Most of the "fast" breeds that aren't sighthounds are around 30 mph with only sighthounds getting above that. But many breeds are clustered around that 30 mph speed including vizsla, german shorthaired pointer, malinois, border collie. Poodles mostly do not hit 30 mph and are closer to 28 maybe 29. But there is a bitch in 2020 that ran 31.64 which is crazy. From this list the only one that hits 30 mph is the border collie. So I'm not sure if it's sample size or methods that's causing the discrepancy. There's no doubt poodles are fast dogs though!
Are Coren's numbers closer to what you're seeing? Under lifetime I see a Poodle who ran 33 mph! I wish I had taken Mia and Zulu - like FWOP said, there weren't too many dogs faster than them (and all of those dogs but one were sighthounds).

·
Registered
39 Posts
When my spoo runs I always feel she looks like a cheetah! However, not sure about the Great Danes--I've seen them run at the dog park and they don't look very fast at all!

·
Registered
825 Posts
When I was doing agility with my Giant Schnauzer he always looked like he was just loping around the course but he had such a long stride that he was actually going very fast. We never got a time fault. I always said he was like a thoroughbred horse compared to a quarter horse.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I remember one time out on a trail when I turned around and saw a humungous polar bear swiftly gaining on us even though his legs looked like they moved in slow motion. Of course, it turned out to be an Irish Wolf Hound. accompanied by a princely Dachshund and their charming owner. We had a lovely walk together that morning.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts