Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
My family used to have a dog that would go crazy when she saw other dogs on TV. Four of the other dogs I have had in my life could care less about the TV (including the 2 I have now). It's interesting.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
DH's best girl, Noel, used to watch Formula 1 with him. She also liked Animal Planet's Puppy Bowl lol.

Please do drop over to the Members Intro thread. We love being able to give an official welcome to our new members and maybe get to learn about their poodle/s or their interest in them :).

·
Super Moderator
5,375 Posts
So cute! And hi! Welcome :)

Peggy loves TV. I used to be able to occupy her for 20 minutes or so with cartoons. Now that she's a "big girl" (almost 8 months!) she much prefers watching old movies on TCM.

My last dog would bark hysterically at animals or anything vaguely animal-like. Then she'd try to get behind the TV to see where they were hiding. ?

Peggy plays it much more cool, preferring to half watch while gnawing on a toy or chewy. But she'll sometimes stop mid-chew and get very engrossed in the story, mouth still open. It's pretty funny.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Axel couldn't care less about TV. However, Betty is a different story.

She watches a lot of TV, especially when there are animals of any kind. She also remembers the sounds of commercials that have dogs/animals in them, like Chewy ads. She will run over to the TV when she hears the sounds of the advertisement to watch the dogs/cats etc.

She also has a weird thing about Julie Andrews and the Sound of Music movie. During the intro of the movie, where the camera pans in to Julie singing on the mountain top, Betty goes crazy barking at her. Sigh....

·
Registered
450 Posts
So cute! And hi! Welcome :)

Peggy loves TV. I used to be able to occupy her for 20 minutes or so with cartoons. Now that she's a "big girl" (almost 8 months!) she much prefers watching old movies on TCM.

My last dog would bark hysterically at animals or anything vaguely animal-like. Then she'd try to get behind the TV to see where they were hiding.

Peggy plays it much more cool, preferring to half watch while gnawing on a toy or chewy. But she'll sometimes stop mid-chew and get very engrossed in the story, mouth still open. It's pretty funny.
Charlie mostly ignores the TV but moving dogs, especially those who are barking will elicit a couple of growls. Flying birds are of interest too.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
Gilligan always watches TV.... BUT... if a dog, or any other animal is on the screen, he goes absolutely nuts. He runs (or leaps off the chair) to the TV and starts jumping, barking, and growling. He even does it if it's a cartoon animal.

While we think it's funny, I wonder if it's really not a good thing for him to be so agressive toward an animal that's not actually in the house.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
I have shared his before - but worth a rerun. Asta is named after the wire fox terrier in the Thin Man movies. (William Powell & Myrna Loy) When we watch the Thin Man on TCM Asta will run to the TV when the television Asta is called and will bark. Adds much enjoyment to out favorite movies. I'm an old fart and love TCM.

·
Super Moderator
5,375 Posts
I have shared his before - but worth a rerun. Asta is named after the wire fox terrier in the Thin Man movies. (William Powell & Myrna Loy) When we watch the Thin Man on TCM Asta will run to the TV when the television Asta is called and will bark. Adds much enjoyment to out favorite movies. I'm an old fart and love TCM.
I'm a middle-aged fart and love it, too. ? I actually have a BA in Film Studies.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Stella spends much of the evening watching tv with me. She gets most excited at animals, but things like scrolling text, multiple pictures on the screen and basketball and football really get her going. She races to the tv and bounces up and down, barks and all. We are working on her being less attentive now.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Because we have hardwood floors, our concern is that during these jumps he's going to hurt himself. He also leaps off the foot of the recliner when it's up - it's like watching a dog fly through the air.

How in the world do we train this behavior out of them?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts