Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've had dogs before, but none that 'talked.' Does your poodle talk? Not bark, but this sort of low-volume grumbling and growling? LOL. If so, what's their mood when they do this? I was talking to Dd about it and remarking that I think it's when she's mad (at least so far), but started wondering if it could be other sentiments at sometimes.

Last night it was when she had finished her dinner and was in her puppy pen, while we ate dinner nearby. There was a "bark bark bark! (eye contact) grumble grouch grumble bark bark bark" (and then sit down in a huff."

Perhaps it was just "oh, thank you so much for the fantastic meal, mummy, you really do soak the best kibble goulash. Now I must rest from all of the excitment." ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have 3 Boston Terriers and one toy poodle (who I've had for 2 months).

Pedey, the poodle, is the only dog that I've ever had that talks. I have to say, it's one of his most endearing traits.

He does it when he's excited, but not too excited (he yipes when he's really excited). Like when I'm putting his food down....he'll pace around and sort of yowl/growl. It's a low sound that he makes with his mouth moving open and closed. It's really cute.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Teddy talks all the time. We have learned one of his growls means "no" and he kind of sneezes when he says "yes." It's really very cute, but we have little signals with him in those noises now....I love it!!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Desmond talks a lot, but only when he's REALLY happy. When I first get home from school, (if he isn't already pinned up next to me getting cuddles lol) he starts woo-wooing at me to pet him and that he's just so happy to see me. :love: It's absolutely adorable. We don't usually let him bark in our house, so he woo's instead, but he doesn't bark much anyway, regardless.

He also does it when we're playing and he's particularly excited. He will have his mouth halfway open and will just be letting out these short barks really frequently that don't quite reach full volume, so he's just kind of grumbling and it sounds like he's carrying on a conversation with the variation in volume and pitch. He would put his paws over his nose and then half-bark, so it was muffled and it is just SO CUTE! Sometimes he'll have stuff in his mouth and will be trying to bark/growl and it sounds so funny. :) Silly boy, he entertains us a lot.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
(Hey, new here and about to post my "Hey, I'm new" post, but saw this and had to chime in!)

Perry - a toy - "talks" all the time. I always joke that he is a grumbly old man... but it really does sound like he's talking. He'll do it when he is VERY excited, like when I first get home from work/class, as well as when we are just hanging out around the house doing nothing in particular. He also talks back (which is sometimes cute but sometimes not!), if you get on to him, he will grumble at you, and if you tell him to "hush your mouth", he'll grumble some more and just EVIL eye you.

Lots of personality in poodles, I guess. I've never had a poodle - let along a dog that talks - before, so this is all just new to me!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
My ginger talks - I love it! we call her a wookie - lol - she lets out a really big loud sigh when getting comfy - if her ball rolls under the furniture she looks at me a goes ruour - can't spell it! lol and if she wants to go out she does a little bark - and for please its almost a silent double woof woof - I love it when theytalk!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
My ginger talks - I love it! we call her a wookie - lol - she lets out a really big loud sigh when getting comfy - if her ball rolls under the furniture she looks at me a goes ruour - can't spell it! lol and if she wants to go out she does a little bark - and for please its almost a silent double woof woof - I love it when theytalk!!
Hahahahaha teddy has those same noises. It's so cute when they do that!! I actually have a video on my phone of Teddy saying "No, No, No." It's so freaking cute!! :cow:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts