Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Misha's tail has a long dock, and a bit of a curl to his tail. He likes to hold his tail on his right more often than his left, and the tail also seems to like to curl towards the right rather than down the middle. He can hold it on the left, but he almost always prefers the right. Interestingly, for about two weeks he lost this preference and seemed to hold it equally on the right and the left. But then he started it up again. I wonder what his tail will do when he is finished growing. Is it common for poodles to prefer a side to curl the tail towards? I've worried that maybe his tail was injured or something, but it's always seemed fine. Most pictures I see of curly-tailed poodles have tails looking like they hold them straight over the back rather than to the right or left.

Super Moderator
Raindrops, this is an interesting question and observation. I had to study my own undocked poodle Sachii, who is 9 months old now, to see if he has a preference. He mostly holds it to the right, but also switches up in direction and even holding it fairly straight sometimes.

Personally, I quickly came to love the look and feel of his curled, undocked tail. There's more dog for the tail to wag! The latest info is that many European poodles can no longer have docked tails; (see link for map of countries that have banned it).

Two US states, Maryland and Pennsylvania, made laws that puppies can't have their tails docked after they're five days to a week old (link). Admittedly, this will eventually throw a wrench in elegant look of show poodles with tail poms, and it will be interesting to see how the European show world works with in the next 10 or 15 years.

Here's a video of some great feathery undocked poodles tails:

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Vita! He does seem to hold his tail in the same fashion as the black and white poodle in that video. I think what made it look odd to me is that he has a bit of a dock, so it only has a bit of the curl rather than the full curl of the natural tailed dogs. I like both the natural and long docked tails, as it does certainly add personality for them to have tails! I will try to stop worrying about Misha when he looks wonky flopping his tail over haha. It does seem like natural tails are becoming more common, though it may take more time for it to become common in the minis.

I absolutely love the long tail on this mini in Europe! (though the performance isn't perfect)

Registered
Thank you! Maybe it is more common than I thought.
Since tail docking is still legal in most countries, breeders are not taking into account tail carriage in their selective breedings. How could they ? They never get to see the dogs with a full tail.

So if you get an undocked dog with a straight tail and a nice carriage, it鈥檚 purely a coincidence, unless the breeder has been purposely breeding undocked dogs. As long as it鈥檚 frowned upon in dog shows, it will remain this way.

In my province, tail docking has been illegal for a few years. Beckie has a very nice undocked tail, not curly, not leaning to the left or the right. I think it looks very good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts