Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I haven't had a dog in many years, so I have NOTHING for the new miniature puppy who is coming next Thursday. Tomorrow I'm going shopping at Petco with my brother-in-law, who works for Petco and gets a 20% discount, whoohoo!

I started making a list and I'm wondering if I'm forgetting anything? If you have a minute, could you check my list and let me know if I should add something or change something?

Crate, plastic (like a Vari Kennel or something)
Crate pad or blanket (something washable)
Bed
Dishes (stainless steel)
Mat to go under dishes
Collar (nylon)
Leash (lightweight)
Poop bags
Brushes (slicker and pin)
Steel comb
Shampoo
Food (Royal Canin Small Breed Puppy--this is what the breeder is feeding now)
Treats
Chew sticks (bully? any other recommendations?)
Puppy Kong
Plush squeaky toys
Balls/bouncy toys

I feel like an anxious new mother, worried I will forget something...I feel so silly!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Carpet cleaner? :) Actually our Lucy was very good and to this day has never pooped in our house... she did have a few wet accidents early on, but never on the carpet... so my recommendation is a "just in case" kind of thing! Can't wait for pictures!!! :)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts

You may want to go with an I-crate style crate since your little one will be growing and puppies will sometimes go in the crate if they have to much room with an I-crate you can make a smaller place for a pup, but still get one they can stay in as an adult so you will not have to buy more then one. saves you money for fun stuff like the toys!

Crate pad or blanket (something washable)

Until the little one is crate trained you may find you are washing this often since they may go in the crate at night, if you do get one, try to make sure it is not something they would like to chew on like a lamb wool one since it will be a puppy it may eat it and it could cause problems. I would not put anything in there until I knew it was not going to eat it...
Bed
Dishes (stainless steel)
Mat to go under dishes
Collar (nylon)
Leash (lightweight)
Poop bags
Brushes (slicker and pin)
Steel comb
Shampoo
Food (Royal Canin Small Breed Puppy--this is what the breeder is feeding now)
Treats
Chew sticks (bully? any other recommendations?)

nothing raw hide since it is not digestible and could cause tummy trouble, bully sticks are good, IF you can handle the smell lol. Nylabones are the preferance here though

Puppy Kong
Plush squeaky toys

I would go for the tough toys, that way they are less likely to dismember then and eat the stuffing lol

Balls/bouncy toys

I feel like an anxious new mother, worried I will forget something...I feel so silly!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carpet cleaner? :) Actually our Lucy was very good and to this day has never pooped in our house... she did have a few wet accidents early on, but never on the carpet... so my recommendation is a "just in case" kind of thing! Can't wait for pictures!!! :)
I knew I was forgetting things! Carpet cleaner is a great idea!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

You may want to go with an I-crate style crate since your little one will be growing and puppies will sometimes go in the crate if they have to much room with an I-crate you can make a smaller place for a pup, but still get one they can stay in as an adult so you will not have to buy more then one. saves you money for fun stuff like the toys!
Is I-crate a brand name? Never heard of it. Sounds interesting!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We're going to train him to potty outside. we're going to create a setup that lets him go outside through a doggie door to an small enclosed area for potty when we are at work. Luckily, he'll only be home alone three days a week since my husband works from home one day a week and can take the pup with him to work at least one day a week.

Any potty tips would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Personally I don't like blankets in the crate as they are very smart and learn they can pee on the blanket andmove it out of the way so there is no mess. Plush toys are fun but not for in a crate as they destroy them and can choke while in acrate alone
Another thing that works great is if you keep the leash on ( dollar stores leashes at first as they could get chewed) you can correct the pup with a tug keeping hands for loving and easier to keep an eye on if right beside you.
The more accidents in the house the more they think it is ok to piddle in the house.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm a new puppy owner as well -

Yes , i agree with the biggest bottle of Natures Miracle cleaner. No toys that can tear up unless pup is 100% supervised. A proper fitting collar (i bought one too big and had to go back and get new one)

Your doing a great thing by getting everything ready beforehand

when i picked up my puppy from the breeder - i had bought everything Except for the CRATE - boy was that a big mistake

well the puppy came into the house for the first time and within minutes.. pooh pee etc :doh:

I also made the mistake of buying a pet bed for the crate - within a few minutes my sweet boy chewed holes and peed - ha. Oh and the biggest mistake i made was buying those potty pee pads. I wanted to train the potty to go outside and didn't realize i didn't need those pads. Well after putting the pads down the puppy chewed the pads - that was the end of that

I guess you have to decide if you wanna train to potty inside or outside

congrats and looking forward to seeing pictures

·
Registered
918 Posts
I agree with skipping the blanket/bed for the crate until through potty training and teething.

I like the metal crates since they come with dividers and can grow with the pup.

Baby gates never come amiss. Tonight I setup a play yard for Jasper--will let you know if it's a complete waste of money LOL.

Natures Miracle, paper towel :).

A little bit longer leash in case you want to leash the pup in the house. It's nice to have it long enough to loop around your waist if needed.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much for all the advice!

So, no blanket in the crate, huh? I guess I was thinking it would make it more like a comfy den (I don't think he's been in a crate yet, so I wanted to make it as inviting as possible). But I didn't think about him chewing it up or using it as a potty!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
First of all, congrats on your new baby!

I don't think I can add anything to your shopping list that others haven't already mentioned, but I can offer some input about toys, etc.

Teddy (who is now 8 mos old) loves bully sticks. He also loves his Bento Ball (similar to the Everlasting Treat Ball) and his Skinneez toys, which are like stuffed toys without the stuffing. He has yet to be able to destroy one of those--unlike the stuffed toys I've bought him.

I bought Teddy a plush doggie bed, which he ripped open within a couple of days. White polyfill stuffing all over the house! So his second bed was a simple crate pad, with fabric on one side and that sheepskin looking material on the other. He and the cat both love it and it is still intact some months later. :)

I also bought a couple of teething toys that could be soaked in water and frozen. He really liked those.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the tips Marian! I will definitely look for those toys today, they sound great.

Teddy is so adorable!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Inca chewed nice beds, ripped squeaky toys until the squeak and the stuffing were both destroyed. She ripped the outside of tennis balls and tore up her puppy pads unless she wanted to use them. We used Vetbed in the bottom of her cage and as my husband is always complaining of losing socks, I took one of these, stuffed it with some more, tied both ends and hey presto a tuggy toy with no stuffing that she could chew. She never peed in her crate but that was because we got up really early to let her out and as we are both retired, could watch and grab when she looked like going in the house. The big mistake we made was not designating one area in the garden she should go to - big rings on the grass. Whilst she was little, she was transported in a large cat carrier. She could go to puppy training and hide in the crate until she was confident to come out.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Thanks, PaddleAddict!

highhorse: That's what I ended up doing with all the socks I had collected from numerous BA flights from NY to London. I couldn't just throw them out, but I didn't want them creating clutter any more. LOL

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
WOW, my dogs would think you were a bunch of meanies but all the dog owners would think I am nutz! I think poodles are so fond of soft toys. I never buy them balls or kongs. I give em toys and I KNOW they won't last too long. They think its so much fun to un-stuff a bear or bunny. They know how to remove eyes and noses in less than a minute. My sweeper is filled with fluffy stuff and so is my dryer lint filter. They carry their toys upstairs then back downstairs. If I say "Everybody outside...lets go pee!", they make a mad dash to the basket and put a toy in their mouths and then they run toward the door. I take each ones toy out and put it on the washer, they run out and pee and when they come in, they stand up and grab any toy off the washer and run back inside. They fight over the tiniest cat toy stuffed mouse. They love the giant amusement park toys. If I throw them a nyla-bone or kong, they would look at me like "Those are for LABRADORS, we are POODLES!" They get raw bones for chewing and gnawing. Stuffed toys are just pure amusement.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Huh, my poodles love bones and kongs and anything they can chew. I personally don't like them unstuffing things so I've made a vow never to buy another soft toy again. Balls and rope toys are great for them to play with and can be thrown to be fetched.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Bitter Apple is a good one.

P2P: I'm not mean, I just don't like having to constantly empty the vacuum cleaner because it fills up with stuffing. I also worry about him ingesting it. Believe me, he gets plenty of toys (can you say "spoiled"?).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts