Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrhough Poodles are very athletic dogs, they are stigmatized. A lot of people aren’t aware that Poodles were bred to be retrievers and are even used as hunting dogs today.
If I went out with a Doodle or a PWD, people would want to come and meet the dog. They are very cute. However, despite what a Poodle might look like, I don’t think they’d get rhe same reception. You may not want that attention but what I’d like to know is, do you notice that people are Poodle averse or that there is a stigma?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
My spoo is a Service dog in training and we do go out at least once or twice a week to work on training. I can only say how people respond to my girl, but they are crazy about her. Granted, she is in a full show coat. Her hair is often banded up down the mane line. While there may be some people that don’t pay her much attention, she gets loads more attention than the GSD working with my trainer. In fact, my trainer loves it when I come along because people ignore her completely and focus all of their attention on us. We went to Walmart for the first time today. Several people asked to take pictures of Luna. I will attach a photo that my trainer took of someone taking lunas photo haha. Most people tell me “oh she is such a beautiful dog!” And this isn’t only when we are in a store. When we were practicing rally at a park a few weeks ago numerous people stopped to see the pretty poodle. I am actually curious to see if others on here have had a different experience!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Most people say how beautiful and well-behaved my dogs are, especially when they are well-groomed (which is once in a blue moon, haha). I have only had one jerk in my 3 years of spoo ownership who said, "I hear poodles are very high strung," as Maizie raced through the park LOL But most people say how they've owned a poodle and they're so smart, they're so athletic, they're the best, they're so human, etc.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think more people are willing to share a positive opinion than a negative opinion. I know I am far more likely to complement somebodies dog, than say something negative to them about their dog.

My poodle gets lots of positive reactions in public. He usually is looking kinda shaggy and doodle like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I get a lot of people asking to pet Poppy, commenting on how smart poodles are. Also, almost every single day, while we are out and about someone will tell me how pretty she is.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Retriever

Standard Poodles are really sight hounds that retrieve. Minis and toys are different in many ways.
retrieve.jpg

Eric

·
Registered
182 Posts
The sigma comes from show poodles. No offence here, I spent many years with show poodles and that is where my love of poodles came from.

Working for handlers and breeders, I got to know the breed, to know a poodle is to love a poodle. But let's face it, show clips are a bit over the top. Again, no offence intended, I groomed show poodles, I know what it means to have your specials dog in full show coat glory. And I still love the look of a beautiful show coat.

But the average person looks at that coat, sees the cartoons and commercials of poodles in that coat and think foo foo dog. They are not seeing the intelligence, the athlete, the retriever, the versatility that is a poodle. Hey, that was my impression of poodles until a chance meeting with a breeder and sudden after school job 44 years ago introduced me to poodles and they have been the breed of my heart ever since. Up to that point I swore I would never have such a foo foo dog. You wouldn't believe how hard it was for me to convince my now husband to get that first poodle for the same reason, no foo foo dogs. Now he also can't live without a poodle in his life.

Want to see a funny video of changing ones mind about poodles. Go to youtube and type in hunting poodles. There is a clip form Duck Dynasty about uncle sids new retriever. Of course it's a spoo in a modified continental trim showing what a good retriever poodles really are.

And as if my post isn't long enough, Roland, being a parti spoo, gets constant attention from passerby's. I don't know if it's his colors or because spoos are not common in my area even though there are doodles everywhere, but I get questions constantly and use the opportunity to educate about poodles.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The sigma comes from show poodles.

But the average person looks at that coat, sees the cartoons and commercials of poodles in that coat and think foo foo dog.
That has not been my experience. Only positive comments regardless of trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Everyone I see when out walking compliments Renn. They all say he is so beautiful and that the walks in such a regal manner and that he is well behaved, (LOL on well behaved). Now that he is big people are not as inclined to walk up to us to pet him.

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
The only negative comment I have ever gotten about either of my poodles was from a jerky old geezer who was a doodle person who didn't believe Lily was a poodle and who kept referring to her as a thing. When the Obamas got their PWD there were people who thought she was a Portie (she was a shaggy puppy).

Eric I disagree about thinking of spoos as being at all like sight hounds, water retrievers absolutely though.

Reactions: ericwd9

·
Registered
109 Posts
I get a ton of positive attention when out with my girl. Lots of comments about her looks, her color, her walk, how soft her coat is, how friendly, good-natured, well-behaved, etc.

I'd guess about half of the people who ask say something like "is she all poodle, or part doodle?", and half say "oh! A poodle! I love poodles!". She's 8 mo tomorrow and is registered as a SPoo, but she is a very petite SPoo, (just over 19 inches, 31 lbs) and has European moyen/klein from both parents. In the past week, I've had two people come up and ask if she was a moyen poodle, one who was seriously considering one and had never seen one IRL before. Phoebe was glad to be able to show off on behalf of poodles everywhere :act-up:

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I too hear nothing but good comments from strangers! What surprises me most is how much men like her haircut! Lots of "Cool haircut" comments......only one funny guy told Molly as he was patting her "Tell your Mama your butt is cold" when we were out on a cold day LOL! Otherwise, it's all good. I especially like when they comment "Wish my dog behaved like her!" Molly has had her feet photographed more times than I can count.....her nails are probably famous somewhere on the web by now Hahaha!

I think what I love most though is when a child tells their Mom "Mom, look, there's a Poodle!" Kids always know ...........

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I do get some people who are very surprised that Archie likes to play fetch. They think of smaller poodles as being more "dainty," I think, so when they see my rough-and-tumble boy tearing around the park it throws them off. I usually explain that poodles were originally water retrievers, so some of them retain that more lab-like need to retrieve things.

And before I got him, my brother kept insisting to me that I shouldn't get a poodle because "they're weird dogs." He had a friend with a spooky-smart toy poodle and something about the way the dog seemed to read minds just freaked him out. :laugh:

But otherwise, mostly positive reactions. Lots of people around here have experiences with little poodles or poodle mixes (lots of maltipoos in particular) so they're mostly delighted.

EDIT: I do think some people associate Standards with more snooty owners around here, just because you usually see them in the more expensive parts of town.

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
lisasgirl my brother was skeptical about me having a poodle because he was convinced that they are evil geniuses who are too smart for their own good. I never quite understood his take on that, but then again his family dogs have all been breeds that I generally think of as being about as smart as a box of rocks. They've been nice family dogs while the kids were growing, but not rocket scientists. I'll take the evil genius any day!

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
If I went out with a Doodle or a PWD, people would want to come and meet the dog. They are very cute. However, despite what a Poodle might look like, I don’t think they’d get rhe same reception. You may not want that attention but what I’d like to know is, do you notice that people are Poodle averse or that there is a stigma?
OMG, I have the exact opposite experience.

I'm still amazed at how much positive attention my dog draws daily from strangers. Babykins and I had a stalker for awhile - a woman who, if she saw us walking in the local park would pull in and wait in the parking lot for us as we rounded the corner. She was so in love with my dog that I finally convinced her to get her own minipoo - which she did.

Anywhere we go regularly, my dog has a reputation of being well behaved and friendly. No matter where we go, people come out of the wood work to pet her - whether it's back rooms in the bank, behind the counters working in Nordstoms or little kids running halfway across the park to pet her. I'm constantly asked if she is a show dog - she just has this way of walking that draws people to her.

People who meet her talk about her to other people. An acquaintance of mine took a job at the local humane society - and the people she worked with told her about this one very special dog. It was my dog - and I have never met most of these people. And of all the dogs in this large shelter, dogs that take classes and attend doggie socials - mine was the one that they all talked about to her.

No stigma, all positive.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Before I got my first poodle I was bracing myself for negative attention and stigma.

Instead, I have had overwhelmingly positive reactions everyone loves him.
I've even had people stop their cars to take his picture or say he's beautiful.
Sometimes I wish he didn't get so much attention because it can be overwhelming.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Scooter, Hi fellow parti parent. LOVE the modified Continental trim. That is how I would love Roland to look and maybe once he gets his adult coat, but I doubt it, it's hard for me to find time to keep his coat as I would like so I settle for fluffy, but not too long. From years of experience I can tell he's going to have a problem coat when his adult coat comes in, he seems to want to naturally cord on his white parts and be thick, soft and curly on his black parts.

As I said, I mean no disrespect with what I said, I actually love the show coats, spent too many years growing those coats not to love them.

It has just been my personal experience that when I mention that I am owned by a poodle when I'm talking to a person with no first hand experience with a poodle, the media is where their opinion comes from and the media loves to take the show coats and produce a foo foo dog. Before I got to know poodles, that's where my idea of what a poodle is came from and believe me, I'm not a person to have a foo foo dog. It was actually getting to know poodles that made me realize that they are everything that a true working, sporting, highly intelligent dog is meant to be. Their beauty and grace are just wonderful bonus's. For over 40 years they have been the breed of my heart and I have had personal experience with a lot of different breeds.

And to those who are saying how well their poodles are received by the general public. That is exactly how we get over the media stigma. Be them fluffy, be them shaved, it's hard not to see what a poodle really is once you meet one. I've had to actually bring Roland into work to show the old boys club of hunters I work with that a poodle is every bit the sporting breed that their labs are, just a bit hairier, lol.

Side note, it doesn't help that the akc has them in the non sporting group. What is non sporting about a spoo? I understand why a toy is in the toy group and even the mini being in the non sporting, but if they now accept spoos in field trials, why are they still in the non sporting group?

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
barbiespoodle I think the reason spoos stay in the non-sporting group is because of how large the sporting group is. They could end up being lost in the crowd in the sporting group. I have off and on heard that they are thinking of splitting the sporting group into pointers and retrievers. If that happened then it could make sense to put spoos into the retrievers group.

Reactions: Moni and Mfmst
1 - 20 of 24 Posts