Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to this forum :) and have been interested in standard poodles after researching.

I am currently looking for a second dog (I have a gsd/saluki collie mix)

I just want to know usual poodle breeders have show line dogs? Alot of the poodles I have seen have thin and long snout/bodies, but then I came across one online who has a thicker and wider snout (which I preferred) Usually how different can adults look?

I am based in United Arab Emirates and plan on getting a spoo through a breeder in Australia

Any breeder suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Here is how the poodle standard states the head should look.

Skull - moderately rounded, with a slight but definite stop. Cheekbones and muscles flat.
Length from occiput to stop about the same as length of muzzle. (d) Muzzle - long, straight and
fine, with slight chiseling under the eyes. Strong without lippiness. The chin definite enough to
preclude snipiness. Major fault: lack of chin

Hair Head Hairstyle Eye Vertebrate

As you can see, the head should be moderate. Not too heavy boned and not too snipey. Poor breeders may be either. Poorly bred standards with snipey heads often lack any chin.

You may notice differences between males and females. Males have a broader head and stronger muzzle while females are built more delicately.

No good poodle breeder will have poodles with very heavy-boned heads. If you want a poodle with a more blocky head you might prefer an Irish water spaniel or a portugese water dog. But I would not seek a very blocky headed poodle because you will end up finding a very poor breeder. Better to stick to good breeders that breed dogs that generally meet the poodle standard.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Another thing I've noticed is that the way a poodle is groomed makes a big difference in how their snout looks. The longer and fluffier the ears and top knot, the more long and exaggerated their snout looks when it is cleanly shaved. If they have shorter ears and top knot their snout looks less narrow. My dog also looks much pointier when she is recently shaved and blockier when she's grown out her face a bit more.

·
Premium Member
6,775 Posts
Hi

If you're going to be working with an Australian breeder, here's the Poodle Breed Standard there
Detail (ankc.org.au)

It's likely to be very similar to any major Kennel Club's worldwide, and the standards are usually determined by breed clubs.

National Poodle Council

Ms Susie Kearnes, Secretary
4 Marlow Place
Campbelltown NSW 2560
Phone: 0412 496 460 (b.h.)
Email: [email protected]

Mrs Kay Wright, President
3 Ridgecrop Drive
Castle Hill NSW 2154
Phone: 0422 967 957 (b.h.)

You'll want to become familiar with the health testing required or recommended by whichever entity is responsible for determining that. The Kennel Club or the Poodle Council are likely to have breeder member lists or referral sources.

Australian National Kennel Council (ankc.org.au)

Codes of Practice for owners, breeders, judges, and health
Code of Practice (ankc.org.au)

Reactions: kontiki

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi

If you're going to be working with an Australian breeder, here's the Poodle Breed Standard there
Detail (ankc.org.au)

It's likely to be very similar to any major Kennel Club's worldwide, and the standards are usually determined by breed clubs.

National Poodle Council

Ms Susie Kearnes, Secretary
4 Marlow Place
Campbelltown NSW 2560
Phone: 0412 496 460 (b.h.)

Mrs Kay Wright, President
3 Ridgecrop Drive
Castle Hill NSW 2154
Phone: 0422 967 957 (b.h.)

You'll want to become familiar with the health testing required or recommended by whichever entity is responsible for determining that. The Kennel Club or the Poodle Council are likely to have breeder member lists or referral sources.

Australian National Kennel Council (ankc.org.au)

Codes of Practice for owners, breeders, judges, and health
Code of Practice (ankc.org.au)
Thankyou so much for this I will read and check it out!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another thing I've noticed is that the way a poodle is groomed makes a big difference in how their snout looks. The longer and fluffier the ears and top knot, the more long and exaggerated their snout looks when it is cleanly shaved. If they have shorter ears and top knot their snout looks less narrow. My dog also looks much pointier when she is recently shaved and blockier when she's grown out her face a bit more.
I noticed that too in before and after photos of standard poodle grooming photos! I love a little bit of hair on the face!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thankyou all for your replies!

When you got your standard poodles, was there something specific you were after?
Also, random q but do you have to shave the face completely down for a poodle?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thankyou all for your replies!
Also, random q but do you have to shave the face completely down for a poodle?
You certainly don't have to shave their face down or keep it shaved. You'll be able to see dogs with shaggier faces in photos here and online, and you can look up 'retriever clip standard poodle' if you aren't into the shaved face classic poodle style. That's just one option.

A lot of folks here like the clean face for different reasons - it's easier to see my dog's expressive face and eyes, and food doesn't get caught in her beard so it's less smelly and more hygienic. Also when her face is shaved she doesn't get mistaken for a doodle, which I like. However, I don't shave her face as often as some others, and let her grow for maybe two months between shaves.

The dog in the video you linked might be thicker than typical in the face but her groom also just looks overgrown (like her face was prob clipped a month or so ago) and she is overweight, so it's hard to see her structure easily. She's an older dog at 11 though so that may be part of it, but just to say that she appears to be heavier than is typical for healthy an adult poodle. But if you like the thicker look, don't mind a lot of brushing, and live somewhere where the dog can tolerate summer in a long shaggy coat, you can maintain a longer style on a lean dog.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Another suggestion if you're really into the boxier, shaggier look is to look into a Barbet. They are french water dogs, and while shorter than a standard poodle, their bodies are blockier and the standard is to let them grow long and shaggy. Of course, they have similar high maintenance coats to poodles especially if you keep it long. I've met a few and they were lovely. If Oona hadn't fallen into our laps I might have waited for a barbet puppy.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I find that if I don't shave Evelyn's face regularly the hair starts irritating his eyes and he ends up with tear stains and huge globs of mucus on his eyes. I also shave his face so he doesn't drip water all over and try to cuddle with a wet face.

Also his in between stage that was so cute when he was a puppy makes him look homeless now. When he starts looking like a hobo I just have to shave him, so he never makes it to the teddy bear look...

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
The length and upkeep of the hair makes a surprising difference in how the dog looks. I normally take my dogs to the groomer every 4 to 6 weeks. Galen missed his last groomer appointment because he had an upset stomach.. He now looks like a different dog with a much coarser head.

Clean, well groomed Galen:

Dirty, ungroomed Galen:

The brown stains around his mouth also illustrate why most people prefer to keep the facial hair short. Galen is a 1 1/2 year old blue dog. He should have a silvery grey ring of hair around his eyes and nose right now. (Eventually all his hair will turn grey.) Instead he has a brown ring.

Dog saliva and dog tears contain porphyrins that will stain the hair. Galen's upset stomach made him drool and lick his lips a lot for several days. The porphyrins in all that saliva stained his hair brown. He would look like an old man with a tobacco stained mustache if I tried to put him in a teddy bear trim right now. The next time he goes in for his grooming they will shave his face again. All the disgusting stained hair will be gone, and he will have his pretty silver face again.

·
Premium Member
6,775 Posts
Poodles as puppies generally look very cute with fuzzy faces.

Poodles when older more often just look neglected

Poodles when older and groomed look like this

There are ways to keep the furred face still looking good beyond the cleaning after every meal.
You'll notice in the puppy photos the eyes are still very visible. You can see them, they can see you.
This is really important to bonding and training. It's even part of the breed standard "Head and Expression: (a) Eyes - very dark, oval in shape and set far enough apart and positioned to create an alert intelligent expression". If you can't see the eyes you can't see the expression.

You'll also notice that the puppy growth is even so it looks shaped. Poodles have hair which means it keeps growing so even if left long, it needs to be shaped so it doesn't just look neglected.

I groom my boys frequently now since I'm doing it myself, not well, but it's being done :).

My girls were always done by a professional groomer but we let them grow quite long between grooms, with me doing landscaping on FFT in between. We used to joke that we'd get new dogs every 2-3 months.

The girls just after a groom

and due for a groom

Whether the more classic poodle look or furred out, the key is to keep things clean and shaped.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Tried to find some overgrown puppy photos to compare with Evelyn's overgrown adult photos and came to the conclusion he always looked like a hobo between grooms!

So here's a shaped puppy photo shortly after a groom:

The above would not work well with his adult coat texture imo. But Evelyn is not the best representative of the breed as he has like four different coat textures going on. My boy is a sweetheart, but well bred he is not.

I think he has improper head structure too...:

Lol. The joys of taking pictures of a white dog in a white apartment. The above is the best I can find. His current look is deceiving as I just groomed him...poorly.

Reactions: CieCie

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You certainly don't have to shave their face down or keep it shaved. You'll be able to see dogs with shaggier faces in photos here and online, and you can look up 'retriever clip standard poodle' if you aren't into the shaved face classic poodle style. That's just one option.

A lot of folks here like the clean face for different reasons - it's easier to see my dog's expressive face and eyes, and food doesn't get caught in her beard so it's less smelly and more hygienic. Also when her face is shaved she doesn't get mistaken for a doodle, which I like. However, I don't shave her face as often as some others, and let her grow for maybe two months between shaves.

The dog in the video you linked might be thicker than typical in the face but her groom also just looks overgrown (like her face was prob clipped a month or so ago) and she is overweight, so it's hard to see her structure easily. She's an older dog at 11 though so that may be part of it, but just to say that she appears to be heavier than is typical for healthy an adult poodle. But if you like the thicker look, don't mind a lot of brushing, and live somewhere where the dog can tolerate summer in a long shaggy coat, you can maintain a longer style on a lean dog.
Thankyou for the response!
Do poodles get smelly? My current mix doesn’t smell at allll and I am getting very used to and comfortable with that

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.