Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else think Poodles have their own distinct smell? Like, not a bad smell. It’s sort of light and airy, like powdered sugar. But more similar to a flower. I’m not sure how to describe it. All the Poodles I’ve met have smelled that way, though. And other breeds have a smell, too. Golden and Chessie retrievers have a sort of musky smell. And Misty smells kind of like a potato? But all dogs have a sort of unique doggy smell to them. Am I just crazy?

·
Super Moderator
7,103 Posts
Yes, Peggy smells a bit sweet. We spend a lot of time just quietly smelling each other in the morning. It's extremely weird. I bury my nose in her topknot and she buries her nose in my chest.

My foster GSD smelled like baking bread.

Gracie had a lovely toasted corn smell.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don’t know how to describe Bobby’s smell. He smells good. He has several smells actually...freshly groomed smell is heavenly. Then the days I brush and comb him he smells like the products I use. His real smell reminds me of clean wool. It’s just a nice natural, clean and I would say airy smell as well. My Great Dane Moose never smelled like anything, which was good, and the nice smell after a bath and brushing was so nice.
He was a very clean dog. Easy to groom to! We went from wash and wear to poodle hair. 😁

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
Beckie smells good. Merlin, I’m sorry to say but he has a bad smell. They both get bathed at the same time and they eat the same food, so it’s just how he is.

·
Registered
796 Posts
It's not just you who thinks poodles have a small to them, although I have yet been able to describe what exactly it is. All I know is that i quite like it compared to the regular dog smell.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We always joked that our little toy poodle Toby would “stink like home” (rather than “smell like home”). It was a joking thing since he didn’t actually stink but he definitely had a very particular smell to him that was just so comforting.

·
Super Moderator
3,712 Posts
Mine have a nice scent that's pretty neutral, almost like smelling nothing, even if it's been over a month since a bath.

I did know someone long ago who had a Spoo, and for some reason that dog had really odd and unpleasant odor no matter how often bathed. I wonder now if it had Sebaceous Adenitis but it's skin and hair looked fine, and it's ears smelled okay.

Anyone have any ideas what causes this?

·
Premium Member
12,860 Posts
Poppy's smell has definitely changed since she's been ill - not as clean, more slightly-yeasty-ears smell. Sophy always smells like sherbety flowers with a hint of new mown hay when she is well and clean. Both can begin to pong of stale dog if left too long betwen baths, but for Sophy in particular trhat can often be months!

Reactions: FloofyPoodle
1 - 9 of 9 Posts