Poodle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm currently looking at getting a poodle but pretty torn on size, I love to travel but not so much driving and so am looking into small toy poodles so that they can fly with me in cabin and basically come with me wherever I go/permits, but am worried that by doing so I'll be missing out on doing more active things or things that require stamina like running, hiking or playing frisbee/ball that can be done with a mini poodle since in general I'm a very active person and would to aim for a dog who can keep up. Otherwise I do have a loving family who can take care of my dog whenever I do go somewhere I need to fly to (probably a week every few months starting from when the pup is around a year old), and I work from home so not worried about any separation anxiety issues if I do opt for a dog who's not flight friendly.

Any first hand experience from any toy poodle owners would be super appreciated!

I think I've come across at least one thread here where a toy poodle owner goes hiking with their pup and they keep up with their german shepherd

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
I say if you want a dog with stamina that can follow you just about everywhere and not get tired, get a small miniature. I have Beckie, a small miniature, and Merlin, an oversized toy. Beckie is more solid and has more energy and stamina. There is no comparison between the two. And they both are the same height. Beckie is 8,0 to 8,5 lbs and Merlin is 6,0 lbs. That’s because Beclie, as a miniature, has bigger bones, less likely to break.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
Nano, 3 year old toy poodle
116 Posts
I take Nano everywhere and he loves fetch. Nether of us are high energy though, but he can hike for a couple hours just fine. It really depends on how much activity you’re planing. A 4 hour hike every day may be too much, but a 4 hour hike every weekend could work. Also the great thing about toys is if they get truly tired you can just scoop them up and put them in a backpack or tote.

My concern is weather, he gets cold easily since he is small and lean and sometimes even jackets don’t seem to be enough, especially wet cold is hard on him, his fur is not very water resistant.

Unfortunately, working from home won’t prevent separation anxiety, in-fact it can exacerbate it since they get so used to you being there. I heard about a lot of covid pups going trough it once their owners had to go back to work. So I would make a conscious effort of preparing your pup for it once you get him. Even if you do take him to most places he will have to stay alone occasionally. Also some dogs bond to one person more(mine) and will still make a fuss if they’re left with other family members.

Edit: I don't have experience with minis but I agree with @Dechi, toys are a bit fragile.

This was his first winter :)
Dog Sky Carnivore Dog breed Water

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@LittleCloud I'm super glad to head that you can do hikes with Nano, and while weather isn't currently an issue for me cause I currently live in Miami, I am from Toronto and moving back to Canada isn't out of the cards for me, so that's definitely good to know. And ya good point, I definitely think training for separation anxiety should definitely be on my list as well then
btw Nano is adorable

@Dechi Interesting I wouldn't have thought that that'd make a difference seeming as both oversized toy and small miniatures would still both be poodles and would think that bone size just scales up with weight/height. Thanks! I'll keep that in mind and look for mostly miniature breeders then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts